“Good Choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 81 Hotels in Wichita
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Good Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We decided to stay at Tall Grass which is clear on the other side of town where we needed to be because of the good reviews. For the extra 15 minute drive it was well worth it. First, this isn't your typical hotel room, it is more like a mini condo with full kitchen, living room with patio/fireplace, private bedroom. Upon arrival we advised they had a welcome BBQ going on at the pool. We decided to forgo a restaurant to try it and were very impressed. Hot dogs/burgers/sausage, hot pototoes with onions & peppers, corn casserole and all the fixins. Free bar beverages and dessert were also included - what a surpising treat. Continental type breakfast is also included each morning. The pool area is nice and you get a guest pass to a fitness center down the street. All in all a great place to stay in Wichita.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Topeka, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed one over nite in august and found rooms large clean and comfortable. I stayed in a suite and it stormed that nite, did not hear it until I went out the next morn. the kitchenette was nice for longer stay with dishes, toaster, microwave, and fridge. I stayed with 3 others that stayed in other rooms. one of us got upgraded to one bedroom. wow the kitchen in one bedroom was complete including dishwasher. we did not swim but they have small hot tub and pool. staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Staying here off an on since 1995. It really isn't a hotel as much as they are like apartments. Studio's, 1 bedrooms, and 2 bedrooms with living room and kitchen. Located near the country club this is a quiet location, price is extremely reasonable, and I have come to the conclusion it is much more of a business clientele that stays here. Safe, there are upscale shops and great places to eat near by. A nice breakfast is included, there are places to walk, wifi is strong, pool, and a short SHORT driving distance to other great dining spots. Always stay here while in Wichita. Last week we noticed that they have been in the process of updating the rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Franklin, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

nice place to stay. Free hot breakfast and evening manager reception. Rooms were large, clean and had a fridge, micro and sink. Bed was very comfortable. I suggest staying on the second floor if given the choice since the floor/ceilings are thin. Staff is helpful and pleasant to work with. The only reason for the 4 star rating is the thin floors, and outside entrances. I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
tiatcorp, General Manager at The Inn at Tallgrass, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments! We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next trip to Wichita.

Scott Talbott
The Inn at Tallgrass
McPherson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is set-up for extended stays, but our one-night stay was very comfortable. We enjoyed the option of getting supper in our suite, although it would have been nice to have a sharper knife available (we didn't have the full kitchen). Check-in and out was fast, easy and friendly. Great location with both a regular and organic supermarket nearby as well as restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went to Wichita for a volleyball exhibition match. The Inn was spacious and comfortable, the staff was helpful, and the location was great. This April was a bit too chilly to sit on our patio, but the suite was well-supplied with everything we might need to enjoy being in. It managed to be quiet, but you could walk to shops and restaurants nearby. Couldn't have been happier with a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the nice comments Jeanne! We enjoyed having you as our guests and look forward to your return to Wichita and The Inn at Tallgrass.

Scott
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

If your reading this to check out The Inn at Tallgrass, trust me, look no further! I live in CA and my twins attend Wichita State. When I first went to Wichita in August to help the girls get set up in their dorm I stayed at another hotel. I sure wish I had known about Tallgrass then. In October I had to go back to Wichita to help my daughter recover from surgery and stayed at Tallgrass since it was close to the school and to the facility where she had surgery. The place was absolutely gorgeous. When I checked in I was impressed with the area around the hotel, including the beautiful golf course. Everything was nicely manicured and super clean. The room was HUGE! There was a full kitchen, dressing area off the master suite and sliding door off the living room to an outside patio. The room was extremely clean and well decorated with modern furnishings. The front desk staff was more than accomodating in ensuring I had a first floor room and even asked if I needed anything else. When I brought my daughter to the hotel after surgery, one of the employees saw me struggling to get her out of the car and ran over, picked her up and carried her into the room for me. At first I was shocked, then I was grateful and I have since realized this is just how the employees at Tallgrass treat their guests. Everyday the maid would lightly tap on the door and ask me if my daughter needed anything. She also brought me extra blankets, towels and pillows and said, "just keep them in the room in case your daughter needs them." I had to extend my stay and went to to the front desk to inquire. They did not have any vacancies at the Inn but quickly arranged one of their corporate apartments for us to stay in for the remainder of the trip. And once again, I was amazed when a wonderful young man showed up at the door asking me if he could help load our things into the car. He then carried my daughter to the car, escorted us to the apartment and helped me unpack the car. And then refused a tip!!?? The staff at Tallgrass made a bad situation so much better.
I have since gone to visit and stayed at Tallgrass 2 more times and my experience was just as wonderful. I would not consider staying at any other place in Wichita. Everyone from Scott at the front desk,to the daily houskeepers, and the hotel maintenance men were kind, friendly and amazingly helpful. I"ve heard about midwestern hospitality, but never imagined it would extend to this level.
Every room I've stayed in has been super clean, well furnished, and comfortable. The beds and pillows are comfortable and high quality which I don't often find at hotels. The daily breakfast is GREAT and the woman who oversees the food and drinks reminded me of my grandma, very sweet and friendly. There was so much good food at the evening happy hour, it was my dinner many of the nights.
If you are visiting Wichita for vacation, work or something associated with WSU, I highly recommend staying at The Inn at Tallgrass. There are some wonderful restaurants,, fast food restaurants and fantastic specialty shops within a 2-4 minute walk from this hotel. There is also a full grocery store a stones throw away which made stocking the full kitchen in my room very convenient.
I rarely write reviews for anything but given the exceptional rooms, delicious breakfast and happy hour food and amazing personnel at Tallgrass, I felt compelled to share my experience so others can be assured that Tallgrass is definitely the place to stay when in Wichita.
p.s. If you have kids at WSU and are going to visit them, the rooms are VERY reasonably priced (I was happily shocked at the price for a 2 master suite room with fireplace) and are definitely large enough to have your kids stay in the room with you. My twins sure loved that I was able to do some home cooking for them while I was there. WSU is a short 3-4 mile drive straight down the road from Tallgrass.

Helen Larch-Miller, San Diego, CA

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have full or partial views of the golf course. I suggest asking for a room where...