“Downtown = Ghost town” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, CO
“Downtown = Ghost town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was in Wichita for business and being a Hyatt Platinum member I stayed at this hotel. The hotel is very nice and staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is not quite up to Hyatt Regency standards more like a Hyatt Place without the perks. I was upgraded to a corner room but there is nothing to look at except a river that clearly is lacking water. Parking is quite inconvenient in the parking garage and I saw a man passed out not far from the hotel. I'll give the hotel four stars based on staff as much as anything. Location is ok but unless you want to eat at the hotel you must drive to find a restaurant. There is an area called "Old Town" that has bars and some restaurants but the crowd is mostly under 30.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is fabulous. The service is impecable. This hotel is clean and has the friendliest staff I've ever run across. Nice rooms too. The breakfast was perfect every morning. Most morning we had the buffet which has a huge variety.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HRW6214, Manager at Hyatt Regency Wichita, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind response to your most recent visit to Hyatt Regency Wichita. We hope to see you again on a future visit.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was in town to run in a marathon and had an excellent stay at the Hyatt. The front desk staff were very professional and friendly. My room was beautiful and spacious and everything was spotlessly clean and functional. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I paid a little extra for a corner room and it was worth it for the extra space.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HRW6214, Manager at Hyatt Regency Wichita, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I came up for a Thunder game and stayed the night. The hotel is very close and easy to find from the arena. The hotel bar stays open late for food, great menu. The room was spotless, bed comfortable, and shower water pressure perfect.

Room Tip: Eat at the hotel restaurant it is excellent.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I was so pleased with our stay. From the first contact with the front desk to checking out our experience was wonderful. Ever staff member we met was friendly and helpful. It is obvious that customer satisfaction is everyone's job. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. Parking is convenient and the view is wonderful.

• Stayed November 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Wichita from October 13-15, because it was one of the host hotels for the Prairie Fire Marathon, which my boyfriend ran, and we were able to get the marathon rate. The marathon start and finish were right outside the front entrance of the Hyatt and that alone made this nice and convenient choice for us.

Beverly at the front desk welcomed us and checked us in early. It was a busy weekend at the hotel, with the marathon, a 4-H convention, a wedding, and I'm not sure what else, so we appreciated the early check-in! We were in a king room on the 14th floor, overlooking the river and the race start. The river was dry because of the drought and not all that pretty to look at, but overlooking the race start was great! Our room had ample enough space for two of us. It was a connecting room, which I'm not a fan of (forgot to request a non-connecting room), and we did hear our neighbor on occasion. The comfortable bed had a nice selection of pillows of varying firmness. Despite the busyness of the hotel, elevators were efficient.

The Hyatt has quiet hours from 9 p.m. through 9 a.m., but they didn't seem to be enforced. The Saturday night of our stay, there was some noise in our hallway. Perhaps letting people know about quiet hours at check-in would be helpful.

The lobby and surrounding areas of the hotel were open and inviting. Having the Starbucks in the lobby for coffee and a snack was great!

We enjoyed a post-race celebratory drink the night of the marathon at the Harvest Bar. Service was friendly and attentive and drink prices were reasonable.

There is a parking garage connected to the hotel, but it was tight! Would have been nice if parking that weekend in the garage would have been limited to hotel guests. Maybe it was? I realize that may be tough to control, but it was very busy in downtown Wichita and generally took awhile to get through the garage (tight corners on the two-ways!) to find a space. Luckily, there seemed to be enough parking. Also, due to the volume of cars entering and exiting the garage, the room key card scanners were often out of service at both entrance/exit; however, hotel staff were on hand to swipe cards that let people in and out.

We went to the business center to print boarding passes for our flight, but it appeared to be $15 to access the internet and there was also a cost to print. We asked at the front desk if there was a way to just print boarding passes and they directed us to a small kiosk to the right of the Harvest Bar. We had just been in the bar and missed that! A sign in the business center directing guests to the kiosk if they only wish to print boarding passes would have been helpful.

Overall, we had an very good stay at the Hyatt Regency Wichita and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to those visiting that area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ames, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I recently stayed here for a an extended 3-day leadership seminar for 4-H; I was so excited to be staying in a fancy, Hyatt hotel. In some aspects, I was not pleased with the staff, room size, layout, and overall up keep of the facility. First off when I checked in, they messed up my reservation after I called 2 weeks out, 1 week out, and 1 prior to verify & confirm my stay. I asked for a refridgerator in my room (this must be requested ahead of time and there is a charge if not for medical purposes) and due to my stay with the 4-H folks, parking would be INCLUDED in my stay. Both of these were not included on my reservation when I checked in but were when I called in ahead of time and verified. Quickly fixed but still a pain in the rear end.

Something to keep in mind, this hotel ONLY has rooms with king beds or 2 full sized beds, NO queens or double queens! The rooms are tiny and cramped feeling - I have stayed in larger rooms for a lot less cost. Room was clean but seemed a little tired - could use some updating. TV channels were lacking - only 26 channels to pick from; missing major networks! Easy DVD player set up; I always bring one along to plug in. Also I ran the fan at 60 degrees all weekend long and it still seemed warm in our room. The whole hotel & convention area had major issues with hot/cold spots. Most of us wore layers so we could adjust throughout the day.

Conference wise, when front desk staff KNOW they have multiple large groups coming in throughout the week & weekend, they need to appraise their staff correctly. Our 4-H group was checking out on Sunday DURING the same time that a race/run would be starting so that meant that we needed to leave prior to the race or wait till later in the morning. Front desk staff were not very helpful or clear - we were all getting multiple stories (road would be closed, we would not be able to get out before 10 AM, etc.).

Parking in the garage is $8/per day. Also there is a $2.99 internet charge while in your room for a 24 hour period. Free wifi is available in the conference center; most of us took our laptops and/or Ipads with us to the conference and went online there rather than pay the fee.

All in all, I would look else where before coming here - there are many other hotels in the Wichita area that were a better deal for your buck.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt Regency Wichita? Share your experiences!