“Good but NOISY!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Shawnee
“Good but NOISY!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I choose this place when I am in the mood for a burger and fries. Burgers are always cooked as requested - in our family, one medium rare, two medium, one medium well. Good beer and root beer of all things.

We would prefer a bit quieter place, BUT we know it's "us," and the noise doesn't bother most people.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Plantersville, Texas
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We ate here twice on our last trip to see our daughter in Shawnee. Everything on the menu is delicious-- we particularly like the fungus and fromage appetizer. The service is excellent and friendly, the beer is cold and the food is great-- doesn't get any better. If I lived closer, they would know me on a first name basis!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fayetteville,ar.
“Strange menu”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The food was expensive, the service was slow, our waitress got two of our orders wrong, one order had to be sent back because it was under cooked and it took nearly 30 minutes to get it back. We asked for a "to go" box and our waitress said she'd get us one and then never came back.

Visited January 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
“if you like heer, you must go here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have been to many many beer establishments. Barley's competes with any and has stood the test of time. They maintain a great selection, they know their beers, and to top it off, the food is outstanding as well.

Visited December 2012
Tucson AZ
“Good food, good value, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were staying next to this restaurant at the Hampton. When we asked for a decent place to eat, the desk clerk suggested we go to The Legends. As we tried to find The Legends, we realized that it was a shopping center, about 15 miles away from us. Since we had no idea where to go once we got there (she just said that there were a lot of places to eat there) we decided that we'd head back towards the hotel. There was a Mexican restaurant and Barley's in the hotel parking lot. Since there was no one in the Mexican place (it looked like mostly outdoor seating and this was December) we chose Barley's, assuming the worst if even the clerk at the desk of the hotel which shared a parking lot did not recommend it.

There were only two of us looking for a quick meal. The place was crowded but we were seated immediately at a two top in the bar. Service was friendly and efficient.

I am a beer drinker but this night I felt like drinking scotch. The selection was reasonable, not great but this is a beer house and they certainly have a great selection of brews. Our neighbors at the table next to us said that ever beer they tried was excellent. The scotch was okay too ;)

For appetizers they have (as well as regular apps) micro plates for a very reasonable $6 for 3 appetizers. They are micro but can be shared by two people if you're not very hungry. And at $6 for three, you can order a lot. We tried 3, we were not very hungry. The pork fried almonds with rosemary were served warm and was a great little dish to start, particularly if you're drinking beer (or scotch).

The crispy pork belly was also a hit, enough for 3 slices, we fought over the third and decided to cut it in half and share. Nice and crispy and tasty. The hickory grilled lamb sausage was more of a meatball. It was decent, not great, I'd try some other dishes before I went back to that one, but again, it was good, just not great.

The entrees were a Kansas City strip steak and BBQ baby back ribs. My strip steak was cooked a little above the medium rare that I ordered, but not so much that I didn't enjoy it. The ribs were enormous and had a very nice flavor; not too sweet which is the complaint I have with most restaurant ribs. It was a very nicely balanced sauce and the ribs were fall-off-the-bone good.

The check came and it was very reasonable.

Friendly service, great beers,far above average pub food with an innovative menu; give this place a shot, I think you'll enjoy it.

• Visited December 2012