“OK, but not great.” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1616 West Crawford St., Salina, KS 67401   |
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Salina
“OK, but not great.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When I arrived, the front desk attendant was friendly. I get my keys and went to the room. The room was not clean. There were pizza boxes all over the place and the beds weren't made. Went to the front desk and let the guy know. Went to a different room and the bed wasn't made again and glasses not the table with water in them. Went again to the front desk and the guy was astounded again. Sent the night security guy to find a room that was clean. After fourty five minutes I finally had a room.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Alexandia, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014 via mobile

Very dingy, old hotel...would not recommend to anyone. The hotel was old (had clearly changed hands from Holiday Inn to Ramada to Ambassador) and not maintained. The center hotel area was dark as half the ceiling lights were out. The pool was old, with slippery floors and too much chlorine. The beds are ok, actually had down comforters but the bed skirts were Queens or Kings on double beds so they were hanging down and a trip hazard. The bathrooms were small and old with no working exhaust fans. Old TV sets with horrible picture quality. All this for $90/night!!! We old stayed because it was late and we thought it was a different hotel. The free breakfast also left a lot to be desired....generic cereals and horrible coffee. Front desk staff was aloof, didn't care that there weren't towels at the pool and were very slow at check out

• Stayed December 2014
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2014

Seeing the many negative reviews, thought i'd shed some light. We've been coming to this property for many years as part of a thanksgiving tradition in which we come to the area for a family reunion. In the past i've seen this property go from 'ok' to 'wow this place is really going downhill" but pleased to see that the most recent management direction seems to be towards some positive improvements. I've noticed many repairs since our stay even just last year. They do need to get the sign up out by the street, but i mean, in an age of smartphones, i'm not sure how someone couldn't find it, just look at your googlemaps, its not that hidden of a place.
They have a fun pool that the kids love, with a big slide. Ping pong tables, arcade room thats a little dated but i mean, kids still dig it. fitness room could use more, but like the post is titled, i'm anxious to see the improvements they make over the next year.
They have a hot continental that included scrambled eggs, sausage links, biscuits n gravy. then cold items like baked muffins, bagels, yogurts, cereals. so the basics are covered and more.
Free wifi was stable. a family member was able to get a document printed off at the business center without problem. Lobby coffee was always there to feed my need.
I agree that there have been some less than desirable conditions in the past in regards to cleanliness, but our latest stay was without issue. In fact the staff, particularly night staff, all were helpful to anything we requested, whether to help me with my forgotten razor, or to quickly get an outside light fixed that we mentioned to them.
I hope that their mgt can keep the renovations going and cant wait to see how the place is next year.
our family covers 3-4 states and we get anywhere from 2-4 rooms, we'll be back.

Room Tip: We always get the same room, but wouldnt imagine the rooms are all that different. We impressed by t...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Jodi C, General Manager at Salina Ambassador Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 2, 2014
I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your review. I am pleased to here that you have seen improvements since your last stay with us. Yes, we are under new ownership effective May 29, 2014. We will be going through a major renovation, hopefully to start in January of next year. We will be renovating sleeping rooms, adding family and executive suites, a water park with a Tiki Bar, a full service restaurant and lounge and much, much more. Again thank you and we hope that you return next year to have an even better experience than this year.
Atchison, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2014

Came for a conference at the hotel - arrived after dark and couldn't find the place - discovered the next day the old Ramada sign is covered by a temporary sign - told the checkin staff that they didn't have any lights on outside and they didn't even respond. The room was clean but badly in need of repairs, rust and deteriorating tub/shower - NASTY coffeemaker - tried to boil water and kept getting hair and specks - finally tried to rinse it out and black mold/gunk came out. Hotel was mostly empty so no noise issues - the pool, slide and hottub were working - just don't look too hard for clean issues. The conference center was nice, food was good and the breakfast was good and hot, real eggs and quality coffee. On checkout told the staff our issues with tub - coffeemaker - etc. never blinked - said they would replace the coffee maker - but no offer to make anything better or up to us. Need to FINISH THE REMODEL and REPLACE THE DESK STAFF - they don't seem to give a damn.

Room Tip: Inside rooms overlooking expansive lobby - gathering areas and pool off on one side - has good ameni...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014

It was the most nasty room I have ever stayed in. There was mold all over the bathtub I would not even take a shower in it. There was stains on the sheets, there was not even a mattress pad on the bed. There was a half eaten donut behind the night stand. When we went down to ask for clean sheets the dest clerk was not very friendly. She just have us the two sheets not even the blanket to but on top. The one that was on the bed had dried snot, someone's makeup, and who knows what else. When we took down the blanket to ask for a new one she said that's why I gave you two sheets you will have to deal with that. I will not be back ever again

• Stayed November 2014
Jodi C, General Manager at Salina Ambassador Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2014
I am Jodi Cross, the General Manager of the hotel and I apologize for my staff for the discomfort that you experienced. I do not blame you for not wanting to return to our property, but I do guarantee you that all issues will be dealt with and the appropriate actions for the employees involved in this will be taken care of.
Please call me at 785-823-5606 and I would be glad to talk with you and we can rectify this problem.
We are currently under new ownership and I would love that you all return to our newly renovated hotel by this time next year.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

I see all the awful reviews for this hotel and don't understand them at all!! My room is not humid. There is not a spot of mold; my sheets are clean and there isn't a hole in any of my walls! Are the accouterments old? Yes, but as they've said, they are undergoing renovations. For example, the carpet in my room looks brand new. The staff has been very nice and helpful. It's clear that the management is slowly renovating this place and bringing it into the modern era. The food hasn't made me sick, either. The sign out front did not read "Ramada", it reads "The Ambassador Hotel". Whatever condition this hotel MAY have been in, it's on the upswing now!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the indoor atrium are probably noisy for some people.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Jodi C, General Manager at Salina Ambassador Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Thank you KED 14. We are glad everything was satisfactory with your stay here at the Salina Ambassador Hotel. We are under new ownership and by this time next year, we will be totally renovated with new sleeping rooms, furniture, beds. We will have additional Family and Executive Suites. There will be a Water Park installed inside the Atrium Area. We will have a Tiki Bar, a Full Service Restaurant and Lounge. There will be additional meeting room space. We are very excited about the changes coming and hope that your next trip through town, you definitely stay here with us.
Jodi Cross
Robertsville, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

Everything in the room (including the mattress & t.v.) was OLD! There was a moldy smell in one corner of the room & dirty, peeling wallpaper. I would NOT stay here until they remodel, which we were told was going to start in 2 weeks .We would have left if my husband had not been so tired from driving all day. The only bright spot was a good hot breakfast in a clean area. The staff was pleasant, but I don't think they had much to work with.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Salina Ambassador Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!