“It's been a long run, but I'm done” 2 of 5 stars

Salina Ambassador Hotel and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1616 West Crawford St., Salina, KS 67401   |
Ranked #25 of 27 hotels in Salina
Russell
“It's been a long run, but I'm done”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I've been staying here since this was the Holiday Inn and the nicest place in town. Unfortunately that was a long time ago.
Yes it's a older hotel, and they're caught in the classic struggle. Trying to bridge the gap between keeping everything in good repair while staying competitively priced. "Good repair" is losing. Last night was the last sleepless night I plan to spend here. We were in town to visit our grandson, so I had called in advance to make sure the pool, hot tub, and water slide were all in working order, they were. We arrived, turned on the air conditioning since the room was quite warm, and went to the pool. 50 people there and not one towel to be found. We tried to call the desk but the house phone was out of order, so we went to the desk. We were told that the house phone hasn't worked "for months" and that "she is trying to find some towels to wash", not a great plan since the pool was only going to be open another hour, but whatever. Swam, played with the grand kid, and went back to the room, which we found to be still unbearably hot. Called the desk, who sent maintenance. He went to the bathroom with a bucket of tools and soon announced that everything would be fine now (it's now 10:30 PM) we went to eat, got back to the room around midnight to find it (yep) still sweltering. Another trip to the desk who now told us that "something on the roof needs reset" and the whole property was without air conditioning. She offered to move us to a different room but said that one will be just as hot (why bother??). Our request for a fan was declined, they were out. We ended up staying for one of the worst nights sleep in recent memory. On checking out I mentioned it to the new lady at the desk who responded "Yea, I heard it was a rough night. We'll, have a good day" (Thanks...)
Sadly, this isn't the first time this scenario has played out here. The first time I wrote it off as a fluke, it has now progressed to a pattern.
It's been a long run Ramada Inn, but from now on I will find a place to sleep where I can actually sleep.

Stayed February 2014

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
southeast Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed here attending a convention. My room was fine--comfortable bed, clean bathroom, etc. Not everyone had the same experience, however (one person found a foreign--and highly illegal--object hidden in the coffee pot)! The impression left is that no one is in charge here and staff has no direction, training, or oversight. Some potential attendees were told when they called to book rooms that no rooms were available; others booked online and were charged $15-20 less than the rate charged to anyone who booked in person. (We were told the extra charge was for breakfast--which, by the way, is served to anyone staying here. Breakfast was NOT worth $15-$20!!). Cooks did not show up for breakfast, so a brand-new employee jumped in and cooked, even though she was not a trained chef. She deserves a raise and promotion--she did more to make our stay as promised than anyone else. Kudos also to the gentleman who made sure the walks by the back doors were shoveled free of snow--all before 7:00 AM!

I felt there was some "don't care" attitude on the part of some staff; others are trying but have had no training and just don't know what they are supposed to do or how to do it. And having nobody in charge on-site means nothing gets corrected unless an individual takes it upon himself/herself to do what should be done.

The convention hall was adequate--wish the lighting had been a bit better. Banquet facilities are not as good as we could have wished--having tables on 2 levels meant that those further away could neither see well nor hear well what was being said and shown at the podium. And, contrary to promise, the waterslide was on during the entire banquet making hearing even more difficult. Food was fine, but the process of refilling empty dishes on the buffet should have gone more smoothly and rapidly.

All in all, we did not get what we had been promised--and this hotel will have to work much harder to become a good regional convention center.

Room Tip: Second & third floor rooms are apt to be warmer--stuffy even. Rooms that do NOT open on the atr...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Keenesburg, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Dirty nasty sheets... like made me wanna take a shower after sitting on the bed college kid party the night before kind of nasty. And an offer of "we can bring you new sheets and you can change them"... uh no thanks. So got moved to a new room with a broken air conditioner! Told the lady when I checked in that I wouldn't be able to check out the following day till 1pm, and she said that was fine, but upon returning to the hotel at 1, was told that my room had already been cleared. So I asked for my belongiongs back and THEY STOLE MY SHAMPOO, FACEWASH, VICTORIA SECRETS PERFUME AND JEWELERY!!!! When I asked for a manager, I got "I'm the manager." Really??? "Well, the assistant general manager of the day shift." Ugh. Finally got the GM's name and number from her, although I don't know if it was the real one, because every time I call and ask to be forwarded to the manager, I get hung up on. Stay Classy Ramada Salina.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Wamego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Started out with clean sheets and pillow cases but the comforters were filthy. Stains on both sides on both beds. Wash cloths and towels were yellow and stained as well. The heavy curtains that are for privacy, looked like had wine stains on them. If your brave and have a strong stomach, go ahead and look behind fridge, TV stand and under desk. They have not been cleaned behind in some time. Off to the pool we go. Where it isn't dirty, no one knows. The stairs up the slide were very dirty and even had moss growing on a couple of them. Yes, moss! Green! The traction mats around pool haven't been cleaned under for a long time. Very dirty underneath. You can see right thru them to the dirt. Paint in pool area chipped everywhere you look. We were there for meetings and the meals were horrible. Our beef brisket was 1/2" thick, dry, tough chunks of roast.
And bottom of enchiladas were so hard couldn't cut with a knife. If you go in the bar there, the wait staff is not good either. Had to track down waitress at least once an hour to get a refill and took over an hour to get a kids pizza that is supposed to take 8 minutes. I will not return!

Stayed January 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

It was home away from home especially with traveling with 3 small children and was just stopping through for rest. Room was nice and clean along with the hotel. Front desk helpful and polite. Pricing was prefect for my budget, would most definitely stay there again and refer to friends and family traveling through.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The board rooms and conference center are nice and large. They do have large pool area. Though the breakfast wasn't very good and it was very stuffy in the hotel if there wasn't a conference there we wouldn't have stayed here the rooms were clean but also stuffy

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Grove City, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I traveled from Ohio to pick up our son for the holidays, and found this hotel to be very nice, in spite of the previous negative reviews. We found the hotel to be clean, warm and pleasant. Yes the hotel is a little dated, but we did not find it to be as bad as other reviewers stated. The beds were very comfortable and we were able to get a very good night sleep.The staff was very pleasant. We are returning to Salinas to bring our son back and will be booking another night here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Salina Ambassador Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!