“Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

You added Quality Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2110 W. Crawford St., Salina, KS 67401 (Formerly Red Coach Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Salina
Illinois
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I'm not usually this hard on a place, but do not get it confused with Comfort Inn & Suites. The front desk was friendly, I will say that. But...the carpet in the room was dirty (my husband's feet were black - I refused to take off my flip flops for even a second). The sink would not drain properly, there was a fresh blood stain on the pillow (you know, one of the middle ones that perhaps nobody uses), the door to the outside from the hallway did not lock so anyone could wander in, the air conditioner turning off and on all night was really loud, and it took forever to get hot water. Other than that, a perfect place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ShamirBhakta, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We apologize for the dissatisfaction during your last stay at the Quality Inn & Suites. We have many maintenance schedules in place to take care of issues in our guestroom. We also understand cleanliness is a major concern with hotel guest. I wish we would have known some of your discomforts earlier in your stay to get it right. I apologize for a below par stay and we hope to get the chance to please you the next time you are in Salina, KS.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cherryville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We always stay at this hotel when we can. During the last several years it has always been clean, comfy beds, our pet is welcome, coffee in the lobby, good restaurant ---- we especially like the free breakfast provided that include real eggs that are cooked a special way. A new hot tub will soon be installed and that will be even better!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KS119GeneralManager, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Deborah W, thank you for your wonderful feedback about our property in Salina, Kansas. We look forward to having you stay with us too. I’m glad to hear that you found our beds clean and comfy. We always love pets here. I’m also please to hear that you enjoyed your free hot breakfast as well. It is always good to hear that our fresh fried eggs are better than scrambled eggs at other hotels. I must apologize for the misunderstanding about the hot tub though. We are looking at removing the hot tub and not replacing it. So, I do apologize again for any misunderstandings.
Topeka, Kansas, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The room was nice sized and the beds were very comfortable. There were only two places where I could plug in my iPhone without unplugging a light. One outlet was not tight and my plug kept falling out. The other one was by the sink in the bathroom which is not a good place to plug in a phone. There was a nice desk for a laptop but no place to plug it in. There was a lot of wall space where outlets could have been placed. The complementary breakfast was good and the waffles were excellent. There was a nice comfortable reading chair but it was right by the air conditioner which blew cold air directly on me so I had to move. The room was acceptable but nothing special.

• Stayed August 2013
KS119GeneralManager, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dave F, thank you for posting a review about your stay at our facility. We appreciate all the feedback we receive because it helps us improve. I’m glad to hear you found our beds comfortable and nicely sized. Since the building was built in the 70s, they didn’t place an abundant amount of outlets in the rooms. Due to this disadvantage, we have placed multiple power cords throughout the room to accommodate for our guests needs. In your room there should have been a power cord attached to the desk with multiple plug in options however sometimes they are located near the back of the desk and get missed. I’ll personally talk with our Maintenance Department and see if there is anyway we can make them more noticeable. We also have some outlets located by the night stand to accommodate for the alarm clock and lights and for any additional needs. I’m excited to hear that you found our breakfast good and our waffles excellent. I’m glad you enjoyed the comfortable reading chair in your room and I do apologize that it was located right next to the air conditioning unit which was blowing directly in your vicinity. I’m glad you were able to move it to remedy that situation and we will keep this in mind with the layout of our rooms. Once again, I would like to thank you for your honest feedback and we will look forward to using this information to make the necessary improvements to our property.
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel was very clean, the room was spacious and the beds very comfortable. Room included a fridge and microwave. The breakfast which included make your own waffles, pastries, yogurt, cereal, etc., was above average for similar hotels in the same price range.
Hotel is convenient to interstate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Familyof32013, thank you for your feedback on our property here in Salina, Kansas. I’m glad you found our breakfast above average for similar hotels and found our rooms to be very clean and spacious for your needs. We appreciated you choosing us for your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future when traveling through Salina, Kansas. We you and your family all the best.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had been quite loyal to the Choice chain for a while; to the point where I actually reached their Diamond status in 2008. Ever since, I've noticed that a lot of their hotels have been "aging", or, in other words, haven't been kept up to date. It's made me check out other brands, and is the reason I won't step foot inside a Days Inn. Lets hope Choice and their franchisees can stay off that path. That being said, being dated is the prime drawback I've found at this hotel tonight.

I understand running a hotel is expensive, and renovation is a steep proposition. The good things about this hotel are:

1. Great staff - so far. I'll know more when I check out tomorrow. If I don't update this review, assume they remained as great at check out as they did on check in and calling for questions. A+.

2. Price and location: Can't be beat. Not right on the interstate to the point where there's noise and commotion, but a quick skip down the road. Price point is perfect for the road traveler.

3. Pet friendly. Seems to be more and more rare - but if you ever need this, you know how tough it can be to find a place.

4. Parking seems ample. I've been to many places like this and had to hunt for spots when arriving late like we did tonight. Not a problem here.

So, that being said - the negative is that the place is straight out of 1983. If I owned the place, the first thing I'd do for the most bang for the buck would be to replace the old, thin, funky carpets. Paint the dark wood and replace the old hollow doors.

The in room furniture needs help.

They do have modern TVs and clean beds, as well as fridges and microwaves. They have an interesting and kind of odd giant indoor courtyard - the only way I can explain it. Also volleyball courts - odd. The sports bar attracts some interesting types, but not anything too unsavory. Seems safe and mellow. Some of the patrons can be a little loud it seems but they clearly aren't out to bug anyone.

Specific issues:

1. The outside entrance doors don't appear to lock. I don't think this is a high crime area, but this is the first hotel I've seen in a while where the outdoor entrance card key locks are there, but completely non-functional, yet defaulting to an open versus locked state.

2. I am hearing an odd thump coming from the wall every 30 seconds or so. I don't know what that is. Its 1:30 am. It's been going on for an hour. Sounds like it could be a water pipe. Weird.

Would stay here again if I had to, but hope they can update the place and work on some of the noise issues. Not a dump, not a palace - middle of the road, and that's OK.

• Stayed August 2013
KS119GeneralManager, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Tcp102, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about our property in Salina, Kansas. We appreciate any feedback as it helps us make improvements to our property. I’m glad to hear that my staff were great. They do a great job in taking care of all of our guests and we appreciate all the front line service they give guests like you. I’m also glad to hear you liked our location and our price was reasonable. We are a pet friendly property as well which is nice for families that are traveling that don’t have the option of boarding. We do have a decent size parking lot which is great for trucks hauling trailers and moving trucks. I would like to let you know that the carpets in the public areas are new and they do have a more retro feel to it. The carpet in the rooms are more of a neutral color and aren’t as decorative as the public areas. So, as far as replacing the carpet I don’t know if you mean the public areas or the rooms. Since we are such a large property, we have disabled the locks on the outside doors due to guest complaints about having to walk all the way to the office if they forget their keycards. I do apologize that you were seeing it as a safety risk. We do have a lot of security cameras on the property and we do have the police go through the parking lot throughout the night just for precaution. We also looking into the thumping noise that was coming into your room and we found out that a toilet was running on the second floor and so would keep flushing every so many minutes but we did get that fix and we appreciate you letting us know. I’m excited for the next time you could to stay with us and we look forward to giving you the same great service.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Room was just ok. Sheets were clean and in good condition and room was "surface" clean but carpet is getting old. Ceiling tiles in bath had some suspicious water spots and the room smelled musty. Worst part was the pink slime mold on the shower head. I sprayed it with some disinfectant that I travel with but it really needed to be soaked in bleach (or replaced). Common areas again were clean but looked old. Free breakfast was very generous in quantity and selection.
Front desk staff was fantastic. Elliott was friendly, helpful, good humored even with 12 members of my family checking in at the same time for a family reunion in town. He gave us a great recommendation for lunch--Martinellis--never expected Italian so good in Salina Kansas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KS119GeneralManager, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank You R L for your review, we vaule your feed back on our hotel. We are in the process of renovating all of our rooms. That is not an excuse for your room not being satisfactory to you. We strive in every way possible for our guests to have the best stay possible. I am glad that you had our complimentary hot breakfast. Biscuits N gravy, waffles. fresh eggs cook each morning, hash browns sausage links, and hot or cold cereal. I am glad that our front desk staff was able to help you with all your needs. Elliott is a one of a kind person with his hospitality. When you come back to Salina, Ks I hope you decide to stay with us again, also hope you try Legends bar and grill. With daily specials and USDA choice steaks, they will be able to satisfy any hunger. Hope to see you soon!
Lenexa, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Had a great time with the family at this hotel. The courtyard area and pool is great for the kids and the Legends Bar and Grill has some of the best wings and burgers I've had. Definitely a great place with great service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KS119GeneralManager, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Samir B, Thanks for your recent review. I am very pleased to hear you and your family had a great time, Hear at the Quality Inn & Suites we strive to make every experience the best. Also glad to hear you ate at Legends Sports bar and grill. We hope to see you soon.

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!