“HO JO Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Salina
Burlington
“HO JO Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had a quiet and restful stay with a filling breakfast in the morning. When taveling on I-70 in the future we will remember this Howard Johnson motel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Howard Johnsons I, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Salina Kansas, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
My name is Elizabeth Bell, One of the new Managers here at the Howard Johnson Inn Salina. I'd like to thank you for your review and glad you had a restful stay. Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day so I'm glad you had a good one to start your day. We look forward to seeing you again on your travels. Thank you aaain for you review they are very important to make sure we're keeping our guests happy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
LEXINGTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great Value! Great Staff! Great place to spend a few hours to rest on a business trip! Some items in the room seemed out dated( TV, refrigerator) the toilet and shower areas were a little cramped. A little TLC on grout and caulk would help there too! The condemned motel behind the hotel was questionable. The bed was great and I slept well. I will be in the area again and will choose to stay there again when I am!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Howard Johnsons I, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Salina Kansas, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Hello, my name is Elizabeth Bell and I am one of the new manager's here at Howard Johnson Inn Salina. We thank you very much for your comments. As for the outdated items we are working on changing that in the near future. As for the caulking around the tub, we are at this time, taking that all out and putting new in, in all of our rooms. We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks again for your comments they help us be a better place for all.
Idyllwild
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel room was very roomy, though no fridge as advertised on the Wyndham website. Location seems a little run down with a derelict motel next door. Breakfast was the usual motel disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Howard Johnsons I, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Salina Kansas, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I am glad that you stayed with us, but am sorry tht the Breakfast was not up to your liking. I would love to hear your ideas as to how we can increase it and make it better. I know the building next door isn't the best to look at, but it is ours and is consistanly patroled by the loal police. They are in the long term process of deciding what to do with it. It needs 3 times the work as this building needed. I hope you will return to our hotel. Thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated.
Davidson, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This truly was my worst hotel experience. I have stayed at hotels on five continents and generally a “shoe-string” traveler. However, my past experiences did not prepare me for the Howard Johnson Inn in Salina, Kansas. I was shocked and dismayed to have such a bad experience from a well- known hotel chain in the heart of the United States.
My son and I checked in without incident in the afternoon and we were looking forward to relaxing and cooling off in the motel’s pool after a long day’s drive. We were given our room cards and drove around to our room. Upon entering the room, we were immediately assaulted by a tremendously offensive odor that permeated the entire room. Leaving the hotel room door open and turning on the room’s a/c we attempted to ventilate the room and get some fresh air. After a few minutes, it was evident that the terrible odor was not dissipating. I went to the front desk and expressed my concern. Upon hearing my complaint, the individual behind the desk stated that if the smell did not go away, that “later”, they would spray something. I explained that I did not think a spray would remedy the problem. I left the front desk surprised that no one was sent to even check the room.
My son and I decided to go for a swim, hoping that the a/c would circulate some of the bad air out of the room while we were gone. We quickly changed and walked to the pool. Upon entering the pool gate, I slipped on a patch of green slime. At this point, I assessed the pool and pool area. It was evident that the area was not maintained, but the pool appeared clean. Before I entered the pool, my son had jumped in and immediately informed me that there was a layer of crud on the bottom of the pool. I honestly thought that he was joking and jumped in to the pool. Upon doing this, a cloud of sediment surrounded me. To put in one word: GROSS. We left the pool disgusted and returned to our room to find that the terrible odor within was still pervasive.
While my son took a shower, I hung some freshly cleaned and pressed shirts in the room and started to prepare for my shower. In the room, in front of the sink I discovered a large dark stain on the carpet about 18” in circumference. The stain appeared to have been a part of the carpet for a long time. I did not expect a four-star hotel, but this was really ridiculous. After my son had finished in the shower, I entered the bathroom. As I went to put my towel on the towel rack, the bar fell off the wall.
After my shower, my son presented me with several articles of women’s jewelry that hen had found throughout the room. We assumed an earlier guest had left them in the room.
We left the room for dinner and stopped by the front desk to again register our concern about the terrible odor and drop off the jewelry. The individual behind the desk took the jewelry and related that, “Apparently, housekeeping had not done their job.” He also stated that since we had turned on the a/c , it should take care of the problem.
Upon returning to our room after dinner, we were again assaulted by the terrible odor within the room. Tired and exhausted, we went to bed vowing to leave in the morning as soon as we could. Unfortunately, the assault on our senses continued. Both my son and I were taken aback to find dirt/sand between the sheets at the feet of our bed. Apparently, housekeeping had not done their job…
The next morning we were out of the room early. A medical emergency at the front desk prevented me from complaining for a third time. Days later, I went to wear one of the freshly cleaned and pressed shirts that I had hung in the hotel room. Upon putting the shirt on, I choked at the smell. The shirt had picked up the terrible odor from the room!
Later, I completed and submitted a survey of my hotel experience and was very honest our experience. I got a reply. It said that they were sorry. I couldn’t agree more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am the new Manager of this hotel and extremely upset abut how bad your experience was with us. We would have checked the room immediately and if there wasn't anything could be done right then and there we would have moved you right away. As for the pool, I hve no idea whatt the previous manager did or didn't do so its hard to comment on that. But i am sorry that that occurred. We hope that you will come back sometime and see the changes that we have made in the hotel (for the better). Thank you for your comments, and again please except my sincere apologies
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed overnight one night in Salina. The room was alright...bigger than most but with nothing fancy. The shower pressure was nice! The shower curtain had a red stain at the bottom that seriously looked like blood...it was quite creepy. The location was also somewhat strange with a huge abandoned building right next door with doors and windows boarded up. Didn't feel entirely safe, but everything turned out okay.

Another thing, we went down for breakfast at about 8:00am and it was completely dead. It was one of the worst breakfasts I have ever seen! They didn't have a very good selection, the milk and coffee were both out, and there were flies buzzing around so we just decided to skip breakfast and move on with our trip.

Overall, would I stay there again if I had to...possibly, but I wouldn't want to stay more than one night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
I thank you for your comments, they help us bring attention to problems. We are the new managers of the hotel and do apologize for your inconvienence. The abandon building is secured and we have had no problems with it. We have it monitored by ourselves and the local police. We have made changes in the hotel, for the better, I believe so if your ever in the area I do hope you will consider staying with us again.
Savoy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This Howard Johnson's has gone down hill. Used to be better. I would not stay there again. Check in and out were very slow and area was very unkept. The room was below average and needed a general painting. However, the bed and shower were great and food was above average. but not great enough to make up for the other problems.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Howard Johnsons I, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Salina Kansas, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello, I am Elizabeth Bell, one of the new managers of the hotel. I'm sorry your stay was not a pleasant one. If your ever in the area, please come back and stay with us. I think you will find the hotel has been cleaned up and the service is definately better.

Thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated.
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

This place was very nice, the staff friendly and helpful. the price was great (as opposed to the Super8 next door). thank you again. no problem with the room, and the breakfast was really nice.

Room Tip: This place was very nice, staff very friendly and helpful (as opposed to the Super8 next door) the p...