“Service? What service...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Salina
Dubuque, Iowa
“Service? What service...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I travel for business and reserved my room via choicehotels.com. First of all the hotel is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. I pull in and you van see where somebody had been pulling weeds and just through them in the middle of the parking lot. They had been there awhile. Check in was slow, even though there was no one ahead of me. The room was relatively clean other than someone's leftovers in the fridge... Breakfast was spartan, some dry looking bread and a mini fridge with some yogurt in it. You could see where there was a spaces for other items but they were not out. (7AM) The worst was yet to I checked out at shortly after 7. Got my receipt and away I went. Fast forward a week later. I am checking my online receipts and find that they billed me for an additional night after I left. No worries, everyone makes mistakes. I called the hotel and there was no answer, numerous calls over the next couple hours and I finally spoke to someone. The woman did not instill much confidence in me. She could not find that I had ever stayed there. She finally found me and stated she would probably just email her boss.. Click, she was gone! Never having verified any contact information. So I emailed choicehotels.com and they responded quickly that it was a local issue and I would need to contact the hotel.

The next morning, once again after numerous calls, I finally got a person on the phone. I asked for a manager, she asked who I was and why I was calling. After a significant time on hold, she came back and told me it was addressed and my card credited. Click, no apology nothing...

If I could give this place a negative score, I would.

Room Tip: Don't stay here...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I am a diamond member for choice hotels and they totally messed up my reservation for a handicap room on the bottom floor. I was told that I would have a main level, for my handicap friends on the 1st floor. They had no bottom floor room available for handicap we when arrived hours later! They could of called me as they took my room fir others. Don't trust choice reservations staff and this location as well! They only tell you want you want to hear. Very disappointed!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was our third time to stay at this location. It has always been quiet, clean and comfortable. The staff is usually friendly.

The pool is not huge but big enough for our family to enjoy after a long day of driving.

Breakfast is typical 'continental style' and it has some hot items: waffles, sausage links, biscuits and gravy were on the menu today.

We had the shower-only room which is ok but as other review noted, poor design makes it flood the bathroom floor. I chewed out my son for getting water all over the floor. He then showed me that it wasn't his fault as the shower curtain goes outside the shower area... Other than that, no issues.

Room Tip: East side rooms are away from the interstate.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Portage, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Sleep Inn and Suites is clean, comfortable and I would recommend to anyone traveling or on business. Guest laundry is very good, room had comfortable chair for relaxing and also for working at desk. We didn't do the hotel breakfast but it was comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quincy, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I was on a trip to take my mother to her brother's funeral in Denver. I wanted reservations for Friday night, June 7th and I wanted a Sleep Inn so Mom wouldn't have to step in and out of a tub. I called and told them I stayed two nights to get the third night free, as per the promotion. She said that meant I had 8000 points and many Sleep Inns give a free room at 8000 but, sadly, this place needed 10,000 points for a free room. I explained the trip and asked how close they were to I-70 and she told me "just down I-135 a little bit". Coming home I took the I-135 exit and my Garmin told me "7 miles". So basically, I went 14 miles out of my way to get there. I tried to check in and that took over 15 minutes. Finally got to Mom's room and it just REEKED of burnt popcorn. I took the microwave back to the front desk. Hotel was full so no other rooms. The next morning there was no hot water. I could go on but you get the picture. And it had a tub to instead of shower anyway!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We have stayed here multiple times. We like it better than other place we've stayed near Salina. It's out in the country a bit on the SW side of Salina just off I-135.

We stayed in a shower-only room which we prefer. It was a large shower stall but there was no soap dish in the shower stall area and they had a tub-style shower curtain holder that curved outside the shower stall floor so the only way to keep the water in the stall was to aim the shower head toward the shower side wall... which I didn't :-)

The desk clerk acknowledged my comments but did not seem the least apologetic or concerned about the issues.

We though the breakfast options were fairly limited. Just some oranges for fruit. They did have biscuits and gravy and sausages and hard boiled eggs but the waffle maker was out of order.

The room was clean and the beds comfortable.
The problems won't keep us from continuing to stay here.
Salina is conveniently located for our stopovers and is the best option we know of.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We've chosen to stay here a number of times and haven't been disappointed. This time (May 27), it fulfilled our needs but for the little things. A coffee maker in the room but no coffee. WiFi but signal strength too weak for our iPad. Air conditioner with a temperamental temperature control-- either too hot or too cold, or so we thought. We won't generalize from that. Could have been us --that Kansas wind can do that to ya.

Room Tip: Choose east side -- away from interstate and afternoon sun.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!