“better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Russell
Osceola, AR
“better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Our Grandparents (maybe in your case great-grands) went into town and stayed at a hotel where the porter took their suitcases up to the room. Then our parents (like on a honeymoon) went to the roadside motel and pulled their car right up next to their room. Today there are the motel chains where you drive up, park, and walk a way to your personal room. Well, Russell Inn is what our parents did... park the car and went into the room.. so it's a bit older and "rustic" than the more modern ones and not as "quaint" as the old downtown ones. The one advantage .. ???.. it's priced right. At ($50 $56 w/ tax) for the two of us, Russell Inn offered comfortable beds, hot water in the shower and internet connection. Other things, like Front Desk help, air conditioner (worked great), toiletries, better breakfast, etc are all here also. Slept well, as is quiet here. Rooms could use more outlets, esp. closer to the bed so could work on computer. You will find a few worn parts here and there, like shower head, no vent cover over vent, etc.. but you get what you pay for.

Russell Inn advertize rooms for $32.95.. but this is like the car dealer that has the $4K car.. it's gone by 5:30 am because you got to the dealer by 6:00 am. Don't expect to get a room for that price.. it's already gone.. if you get my meaning. Still, the $50 was fine and comparable to others in the area.

Another problem for this small town of 4500 - and childhood home to Bob Dole - is that it's between two giant room sources.. Salina, where I-70 and I-135 intersect and is the middle of the State (of Kansas) and Hays, Kansas, college town that has a lot of available rooms in the summer. I-70 saves the motels in this area... lol.

Something else you might want to know.. Russell is home to the largest population of insects on the planet. You will see when you get here. Black beetles and more flying insects than you can believe.. just try to see the lights they swarm around. If this doesn't bother you, then you're good.

Overall, it's an older motel priced decently. Under new management from two Texans who is using it as an investment property... and they are trying to fix it up... so let's give them credit for that. Also, and importantly, there was a front desk help named Amy Hecker.. who really was something else, Funny, polite, kind, helpful, intelligent.. etc... really sold the place. It's really a lot like the other, esp. for the price, but her character provided the magic to choose this place. she might not be working here when you come by, but just had to mention her.

have fun traveling.

Room Tip: we were upstairs on the west side.. the low 200 rooms. were good for us.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Given the reviews of this property, I expected more. The people who run the place seem nice, but the property is run down, needs a deep cleaning and to have wallpaper and ceiling tiles replaced. The beds were fine. Drapes facing the courtyard didn't close fully, peeling wallpaper, sticky carpet, dirty misaligned ceiling tiles, dirty tub and sink.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

While driving through Kansas I saw signs for the Russell Inn coming into Hays, since we needed a place to stay for the night, and I like the mom and pop motels better than the chains, I called and they had rooms available. I reserved one over the phone and she didn't even want my credit card number, which was odd. The motel is in the process of renovating, but was quiet when we were there. Our room was just fine, two queen beds with plenty of room. Everything worked, the beds were comfy, it was cheap and included a free breakfast. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the end with a view of the yard and pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Front desk staff are clueless and not helpful. Restaurant is the worst in Manitoba. Food is expensive and inedible. Rooms are nice. Clean. Too expensive for the terrible service though. There are not a lot of options in this area. I suggest a bed and breakfast instead.

• Stayed April 2014
Olathe, KS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I don't stay at cheap motels, but this was pretty disappointing. We usually stay in a another hotel 20 minutes away when we have trips from KC to Denver, but I wanted to give this a shot.

I have no idea where people are staying that consider this place to be "twice as nice" as big name places, but this was pretty pathetic. The place we usually stay in is the same price for 3 people and is way more comfortable that this motel. I think the only way I would even consider staying here is if I was driving solo and could get the cheap single person room... but even then, I doubt it.

First of all, when we pulled up to check in, I literally waited in the car for over 20 minutes. I had no idea what was going on. The lady at the desk apparently was talking to everyone forever when they checked in. This was after 10:30 mind you when we arrived and we didn't get to our room until 11. Needless to say we were already tired from driving so much from our long weekend, but we really didn't need to be kept up more. Usually you get your room key, sign some papers, and you're out.

Then, we get to our room, and after hearing that they have plans to renovate (under the recently new management) the lobby, I have no idea why they want to start there. The one light in the room makes it really eerie and doesn't feel like a home away from home for me to want to come back. The color scheme is pathetic. The rooms just need a complete rehaul. They should definitely start there. The only thing pleasant about the bathroom was the water was actually warm. It smelled horribly of chemicals, so who knows how much it dried my hair out.

The breakfast was pretty sad. They have a microwave but only tiny Styrofoam plates and bowls... which melts in the microwave. So you can't microwave anything unless you put it on a napkin or something. There was a fly flying around the bowl of apples and juice dispensers.

This whole thing was just not at all what we expected, especially after reading reviews. They need to get a big team of people in there to make some serious changes. I really wanted to support a non-chain motel/hotel on our trips out and back, but I just don't think we could anymore. We felt too weird and uncomfortable about the whole thing.

I'm sure there's worse out there, but I don't ever expect to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cassville, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice clean room, very friendly staff. Breakfast room was very large and well laid out. Very nice place. Great price!! Will stop again on our next trip through. It is half the price of the big name places, but twice as nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

-Clean, spacious rooms with everything you need (fridge, microwave, etc.)
-Very inexpensive
-Genuinely kind management and staff, GOOD people
-Within walking distance of several restaurants, liquor store, gas station, etc.

Was stuck in Russell for over a week getting my truck motor replaced during a road trip and found a diamond in the rough here. In addition, I found the people of this town in general to be very friendly, helpful, and genuine. Thank you Russell!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Russell Inn? Share your experiences!