“Pizza buffet.” 4 of 5 stars

“Pizza buffet.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Good price. Fast service. Pizza is good. Kept our drinks filled

Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Okay, ignore my attitude about "gas station food" earlier...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

This place was a welcome respite from the awfulness of I-70 through Kansas. We filled up the tank and sat down for lunch. My partner had a really great-looking submarine sandwich, and I went for the pizza buffet. Not the cheapest ever, but WAAAY better than the Pizza Hut and Subway choices across the street. Loved our server. Best part: not one mention of Bob Dole!

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“a welcome not chain meal in the middle of kansas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I was spending the evening in Russel while on my way to Denver.
After checking into my Motel room I decided I wanted Pizza and Beer, so I decided to give this place a try. Being from the Northeast and taking my Italian food seriously, I Didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I decided to get the buffet so I could sample a little bit of everything and I'm happy I did. The veggies in the salad bar were fresh and good tasting. the pasta was OK, but I loved their sauce. The pizza, wasn't bad for Chicago/Midwest style, and they did heave plenty of creative toppings and a darn good desert pizza. The buffet also had Calzone which I was too full to try.
The menu also had various subs and burgers on it.
The prices are also reasonable as well, It's slightly more expensive then going to McDonald's, but definitely worth the few extra $.
If you are traveling on I-70, and/.or spending the evening in Russel, I highly recommend stopping by.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guam
“Cheery, worthwhile stop on I-70”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Travellers formerly referred to the plains between Wichita and Denver as the Great American Desert. Its farmland today, but its still a dining desert unless you enjoy chain fast food. Happily, in the middle of the long drive, there is now the Fossil Station Pizzeria and Pub, just off the northbound exit from I-70. Formerly the "Mesquite Grill," its management still has the burgers, steak, and brew, but has added a quirky homemade selection of pizzas, ranging in size from personal to family-size. My wife enjoyed an excellent and highly original vegetarian pizza while I had a really good Reuben for lunch. Wanting more, but pressed for time, we took out a baked custard pizza (that's not a misprint), which we were still enjoying and sharing the next day in Denver. Our stop was only a half-hour and cost only slightly more than a McD, but it was the most memorable food experience in Kansas. The servers were friendly, cheery, and helpful--even at the end of the shift--and the chef even signed his personal greeting on the pizza box. There's a lunchtime buffet that's a great bargain and other specials designed to encourage repeat business. ..but Russell, the birthplace of Bob Dole, has only 10,000 people so its up to the us, the occasional Kansas travellers, to keep this oasis going. Do your part and drop in for a unique mid-America meal experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere