“Not glamping! Terrible service.” 1 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
You added Camp Katur to your Saves list
Camp Katur
The Camphill Estate, Kirklington DL8 2LS, England   |
“Not glamping! Terrible service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Overall terrible customer service. False advertising. It is not really glamping. It misses the detail that would make it so. I would not return to this site! I definitely would not recommend to others!
I will go into more detail below for anyone that wants to know what this place is really like.
1) The teepee leaks. The fairy lights were broken, some of the cushions had mold. It definitely does not feel secluded. You can see many other tents nearby. People do biking activities ridiculously early which WILL wake you up!
2) The BBQ pod was disappointing. The advertising says wooden cups etc throws vests ect. This is not the case. When we asked they admitted they no longer had these and wouldn't provide alternatives. We were told to clean up properly afterwards, it rained and the floor was muddy, which we didn't wipe and then received some very unprofessional comments about this.
3) The manager is rude and uncompromising. The speil she was reeling off to people was disgraceful.
4) toilets = smelly porta loos!! Shower = shed with no light, hard to control temperature (which you have to go out the shed to change).
The experience was not glamping, I had a good time due to the company I was with NOT because of the site or it's staff. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!

• Stayed August 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Patrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed in the Romeo and Juliet Hobbit Pod on 13th August 2013 for one night at a cost of £65. On the day of our arrival I rang to state that we would be arriving a little later than expected, but would be there by 5.30pm.

When we arrived the reception and cafe was closed and there seemed to be no one about at all. I rang the two emergency numbers provided on the door but both went straight to voicemail. A lady appeared in a car on her way out but asked if we needed help and opened the reception for us to check in. She didn't check our booking email and just showed us a map to where our hobbit pod was located stating that the key would be in the door. It all seemed a little unprofessional. As the website stated that an outside BBQ was provided I asked her if charcoal was included and she said that we would find it all at the hut. The website also stated that a complimentary log basket was included along with firelighters in the price.

We were told that we could drive down to the pod to unload the car but would then have to park back at reception, about a ten minute walk away. As we later realised, most people seemed to ignore this rule as the site was not manned at night.

On arrival at the pod we had difficulty opening the door and my partner had to forcefully pull it open for us to get inside. We also noticed that no charcoal or logs were provided however firelighters and matches were. I rang the emergency number again to find out why this had not been provided and the first number went straight to voicemail but the second was answered by a gentleman who was rather unhelpful and claimed he was only an emergency number. As there was no staff on site I felt there was nothing else I could do but ring the numbers provided. When I asked about the charcoal and logs he became rather assertive and said that none would be provided as they were only for the more expensive accommodation and that we would have to travel to Bedale 7miles away to purchase some. As at this time it was already 6.30pm we were rather disappointed about having to venture out again.

On a lighter note the hobbit pod was very cosy with homely touches such as curtains, rugs, cushions and fairy lights. It was spotlessly clean and looked very new. The bed was however rather uncomfortable as the springs would move during the night. We would also recommend a curtain for the door window as the light streams in quite early in the morning. We trapped a thin towel in the door to block the light out.

Although the facilities on the website were described as basic, they were worse than we expected for the price that we paid. There were only two unisex portaloos serving the site and shower sheds of which only one was in working order. There was no lighting in the facilities therefore impossible to use at night and were even pretty dark in daylight. The shower was fairly powerful however the temperature was controlled from outside the shed therefore had to be right before you undressed. We didn't use the communal kitchen however it looked fairly basic with no lighting or electric points and was again in a shed like structure.

We felt that the price of £65 was not justified for the service we received and the use of the hobbit name was simply to draw in customers. It would have been nice for the cafe bar and reception to have been open later, especially as it is the height of the summer holidays. The only member of staff we saw during the stay was the following morning on checkout. The website is poor on informing what is included in the price, and we feel it should definitely inform guests to bring their own charcoal and logs prior to arrival. BBQ meats packs are available to order when booking so therefore charcoal and logs should also be available if they are not complimentary.

On returning home from the site I received an email asking to write a review on the sites own website. I wrote the same review as above and stated that I would not recommend it to a friend due to value for money and service received. The next day I received a phone call from the owner of the site asking why I had left such a review. My review was completely honest and I felt as the site has not been open long, my constructive criticism might be helpful for them to improve on things. The owner was completely in-denial and stated that I was misunderstood. My review has since not been placed on their website. I feel that they are portraying an inaccurate view to future guests and as my review was not nasty in anyway and was honest feedback it is wrong to not publish it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed Ian hobbit hut which was lovely. Nice and secluded, beautiful setting, helpful staff, lovely facilities. Would definitely stay again. Use of communal kitchen was great. Kids really enjoyed adventure and were very excited

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Camp Katur? Share your experiences!