“Exceptional food, exceptional service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Leonards Mill is a 162 year old renovated flour mill operating as a warm and friendly restaurant and bar. Open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and dinner Wednesday to Saturday, Leonards Mill has wide appeal. We source milk, seafood, pork and seafood from the region and our wine list showcases the best of South Australia. Alfresco dining in summer and warm and cosy in winter. Just over an hour drive from Adelaide and ten minutes from the Kangaroo Island Ferry at Cape Jervis.
Adelaide, Australia
“Exceptional food, exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I felt compelled to write a review as it upset me to see that the first impression people reading this may get about Leonards Mill if they were to read the previous review! I have been to Leonards Mill several times and it has been sensational without exception! I too have been fortunate enough to try the Miller's lunch and found it to be a culinary delight, testament to the vast array of premium quality produce on offer in the region. The timber board upon which the dish is served, I felt added to its rustic appeal. I have been so impressed with the ambiance and tastes on offer, that I will be having my wedding at Leonards Mill in 2013. I encourage others to experience it for themselves.

• Visited November 2012

90% Recommend
Yankalilla, Australia
“A dozen oysters means 12 not 10.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I went for the first time to Leonards Mill and were really looking forward to a beautiful lunch as we knew it was popular and friends had recommended it. Service was timely and attentive but that's where the good bit ended. I was served 10 natural oysters with a huge pile of rocket (to hide the 10?) instead of the dozen promised in the menu. They were delicious but.. My wife's scallops were ok and a new dish by the chef and was asked for feedback. The waitress said our bill will be adjusted and I was given 4 more with no rocket. I then had the Miller's lunch which was served on a board with no side plate so difficult to eat and not very tasty - lots of bread and little cheese, meats etc average - eggplant awful. My wife had another entree (she likes dessert) Meanwhile she had ordered some sourdough bread which never arrived at all. The entree of leek and gorgonzola tart on caulifower puree and preserved quince was a bit of a joke. The 'tart' was a pastry case (diam about 75mm) with a dessertspoon of stringy overcooked leek mixed with gorgonzola dumped in it. No egg mixture, no sauce. The waitress said "That's what we call a tart" The cheffy puree and quince didn't add much. So no dessert - we were offered free coffees but declined as we were so disappointed that our first lunch out for quite a while was a disaster. We were charged for the oysters despite being told differently but not for the sourdough which still hadn't arrived - (waitress - but I checked with the chef and he said it had gone out). We were thanked for our feedback because they need to know how they can improve. Unfortunately it didn't help us then or in the future. We won't be back.

Visited November 2012
Jane M, Owner at Leonards Mill, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you Andy for your constructive feedback on your dining experience last Sunday. I can only apologise for such a disappointing experience and as the owner, am saddened this was your impression of Leonards Mill. Most times we get things right, as other reviews show, however, on rare occasions things go wrong. Going through your review, I realise you were dissatisfied with most elements of each dish. That, coupled with the mistakes made with bread and oysters would have been very disappointing. I can only apologise again and would like to invite you back for a complimentary lunch at your convenience. Kind regards Jane Mitchell
“Every time were down at Normanville we make the trip here -we love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Ever since we discovered leonards mill we have made sure we visit every time were down. The menu has something for everyone, the wines are great and if your looking for somewhere to stop for a platter or something light, the deck is the perfect spot! Lovely service too.

Adelaide, Australia
“Hit and miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

It had been many years since my last visit to Leonards Mill, I had the occasion to visit the restaurant twice in a week. The first for coffee and cake, the second for the winter lunch special.

On our first visit, Friday, the staff were ebullient, the coffee and cake divine. The following Thursday the staff were only going through the motions, but the meals were excellent. The Guinness Beef Pie ordered by two or our party was by all accounts supreme, my serve of flathead was the smallest serving of fish I have ever seen, very tasty but small.

Well worth the drive as the setting of the Mill is beautiful and the food first-class.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“An Absolute Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I came here on a sales conference and if you appreciate good food & wine, great atmosphere and great service then you MUST try Leonards Mill.
Everything was truely delicious and worth its value, especially for special occassions or simply to treat yourself, with local produce and the chef's skills being the stars of the evening.
Despite 32 hungry people excitedly pouring into the restaurant all at once and wanting to be fed asap, you still couldn't fault Leonards Mill for their quality or service.
The owners Jane & Alan were actively involved in working the restaurant and the bar and the atmosphere was delightful, being set in a beautifully restored old flour mill.
I was that impressed i have immediately booked to come back in September for our wedding anniversay and cannot wait to get that delicious food into my belly!
Easily 10 out of 10!