“Upscale on a budget.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park

You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11400 College Blvd, Overland Park, KS 66210 (Formerly Holtze Executive Village Overland Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Overland Park
Salina, Kansas
“Upscale on a budget.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Rooms were very large. I especially loved that this was like a small apartment with a fireplace. I was able to get up three hours before my wife and kid with no fear of waking them. Shut the door and have a kitchen, bathroom and an large living area all to myself. The TV had expanded cable but I did not run across any pay per view options which kind of was disappointing since there is no DVD player in the room to watch movies.

My first impressions were wow and the room was pretty clean except for a bright yellow lid from a pledge can which drew my attention to the broken cable outlet box, and a small red make-up smudge on the toilet. However, after my three day stay I noticed cobwebs in several higher spots in the room and some grease splatter on the refridgerator next to the sink.

The room was extremely quite. I loved not having long halls and not overhearing the late night party group coming in hollering. The bed I would describe as being a rock! Extremely firm. It's not a pillow top. Just a 1/4" pillow spread on a rock mattress. As a tempurpedic bed owner I about cried every time I tried to sleep more than 4 hours in the bed.

Breakfast was awesome. Staff was extremely friendly. Eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, biscuts and gravy, waffles, bagels, yogart, cereal, and all you can drink juice, coffee and milk included in your stay. The food was better than any Ihop and made up for my lack of sleep throughout the night. They were not stingy either. If breakfast was served up to 9am at 8:59am they were putting out for guest making a dash for a low stock buffet and it was all they could eat. If you leave hungry it's your fault!

My biggest complaint other than the rock bed would have been that staff did not address the broken cable outlet my entire stay even though it was brought to staff's attention within minutes of checking out the room. While a minor issue having a one year old I would get skidish every time she got near the razor sharp pieces laying around the TV and on the wall. This could have been rectified if they gave me a screw driver, and $1.08 to buy a new face plate.

The pool was closed during our stay. It was good size and looked inviting. A unqiue feature is the property layout. A cottage feel could prove challenging in adverse weather navigating building to building as you work your way to the ice machine at the front of the property or to the main building to dine. This was a good neighborhood and I had no worries parking on the lot but late at night felt like there was many dark places one could hide. I seen no security on site or any cameras for that matter.

On a final note bring a small car. The parking lot is tight. I had a Chevy Pickup and you had to know the truck to squeeze into the stalls. Glad I still did not have the suburban or off site parking would have been required. Overall I would consider this motel again and recommend it to those passing through, especially at the discounted rate I received. It had many features that made the trip feel more like home away from home insteads of getting swindled out of money for a few hours rest. Just make sure you get up on time as there is no express checkout option from the room!

Room Tip: We stayed in the north side. It was away from busy College Avenue and quiet. I'd recommend a hig...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brian M, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay in Overland Park in April. We hope to see you again in the summer so your family can enjoy the pool when it opens on Memorial weekend. Have a great spring and summer!

Brian Meader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I spent one night here while in the area. The room was large for a hotel room. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom and closet were both roomy. Plenty of hanging space for clothes. Room and bathroom were both clean. Short walk to the main building for breakfast, only downfall with that was the rainy morning. Breakfast was hot. On Saturday morning there was a large crowd for breakfast but everything was kept well stocked.
We were in a first floor room. The only problem we had with the room were the foot steps from the second floor. We heard every step and there was a loud creak in the floor boards with each step. Being awakened at midnight by footseps on the upper floor is why I gave 4 stars rather than 5. The upstairs guests weren't being loud or disruptive just walking around their room.
We will stay here again when in the area. Overall nice place to stay.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs I would go for a second floor room to avoid the noise from upper level...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for you recent review on your stay at the Hawthorn. We are delighted to hear you had an overall nice stay and will stay again. We do have elevators in each building if you decide to be on the 2nd or 3rd floor on your next visit with us. Have a great summer!

Brian Meader

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park? Share your experiences!