“A nice place to stay in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11301 Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park, KS 66210   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #18 of 39 hotels in Overland Park
Cincinnati, OH
“A nice place to stay in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Marriott Courtyard properties are consistantly good in my book. They don't offer free breakfasts like the less expensive Fairfield Inns but the rooms and property are definitely a cut above. The hot breakfast buffet is just run of the mill but if you limit yourself to fruit and cereal the price is reasonable. The Overland Park area is just loaded with outstanding restaurants and retail so the location is excellent. Service is very good and during one stay when my room wasn't ready, they comped me a free breakfast buffet. I always found the rooms to be very clean and well maintained and would recommend this Courtyard to anyone planning to visit the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is your standard Courtyard. Checkin was easy with friendly staff, room was clean, the courtyard and pool area well kept and clean. Hotel wifi also worked well.

The breakfast was also the standard you usually get at Courtyard: waffles, eggs, bacon/sausage, potatoes, fruit, yogurt and cereal. Be sure to get the room rate that includes breakfast or you will end up paying approx $10/person.

Basically I couldn't find anything negative to say about the hotel, it was clean, quiet but yet close to shopping and highways,

Room Tip: Anytime you stay at a Courtyard do not get a lower floor outside window room (due to headlights at n...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bloomington IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Although this hotel hasn't gone through the reinvention of Courtyards, they do everything that we have come to expect from the original style Courtyards as well as any hotel in the franchise. I probably would have given an excellent rating with the new format. Work areas in the lobby and the room were designed for business travelers ... and the courtyard in the center of the hotel provided nicely shaded relaxation early and late on 100 degree Kansas summer days. Staff was friendly and professional - first class in every way.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We bid on Priceline and ended up with this hotel. I had never stayed in a Courtyard and liked the feel. We got BBQ takeout from Oklahoma Joe's in KC and ate on a gazebo in the courtyard the first night there. It stormed both nights and I was surprised how little the courtyard did at blocking the 80 mph winds. We could hear it whistling through the sliding glass door as we tried to sleep. We also noted some door slamming and kid noise in the hallway both nights (we were near an exterior door and elevator). Walls between rooms seemed well insulated.

The room was clean and a good value for the money ($44). The bed was firmer than I like and that interfered with sleep a little, but I am used to a pillowtop. Customer Service was very good. I asked if they had a refrigerator I could store something in overnight (thinking they had one for employees). They actually had a mini fridge sent to the room at no charge. The only other interaction I had with staff other than check-in/check-out, was to request towels in the pool area. They were delivered within 10 minutes at about 9PM.

Breakfast seemed impressive but is only included in certain room rates. If you don't order breakfast at booking, it is over $9 for a buffet style meal. Internet was free, but you have to plug in your laptop (so no wifi for smartphones). Nice sized TV but it was located next to the bed instead of at the foot of the bed (which we found odd). There was also a noticeable delay switching channels.

Overall, I would call this place average. If I had paid full price I probably would have been disappointed. For what we needed a hotel for, it was good and conveniently located. Despite what Google maps shows, you do not have to pass the hotel and make a u-turn to get to the entrance. There is a stoplight you can turn at.

Room Tip: Avoid elevators and exterior doors.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

The gentleman who checked us in was very rude and not helpful at all. He didn't even tell us about the amenities, where the pool/fitness room was. We also asked to get a room close to our family, and he acted very irritated about this request even though when we booked our room over 2 weeks prior we put that special request in there. There was a room right across from my family but it hadn't been cleaned yet (almost 4:30 PM) so instead of telling us that they would be happy to give us that room within 15 min. or so and put us in an alternate room while we waited, they whispered about it and didn't give us the whole scoop. So then we were WAY down the hall from our family, and made it very inconvenient. The hotel was great though, loved the breakfast, the pool and hottub was very nice, and all was in working condition! Other than the rude front desk staff it was a great experience! Helpful note-book your breakfast when you check in, it will save you $5 per person! Breakfast was definitley worth it. They do ask for gratuity though for when the server barely does anything which was a little annoying. Another side note, there really were not enough blankets for the bed, luckily I brought a blanket, otherwise it would have been a very chilly night! The bed was VERY comfortable, slept like a baby.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

The, "feature" mentioned in title is a small, accessible balcony/porch/lanai area that can be accessed via sliding door and is available on all upper floor rooms. The area contains a small table and a couple chairs. The last time I had access to an outdoor area attached to my room was when I was in Hawaii! (getting to be unusual to be in anything OTHER than a hermetically-sealed environment in modern hotels!)
Other good things: great bed! The BEST ironing board EVER in a hotel - and, believe me, when one is living out of a suitcase, a decent ironing board is a real blessing!
BAD, definitely BAD: there's an OLD wired internet connection in the room. Despite all the attention to providing a decent area to work in the room, Marriott's stayed with a company that provides a DISMAL 10Mbps (NOT 100 or 1000...) wired connection that has a NASTY tendency to disconnect - with NO WARNING - about every two hours. On two occasions, I was actually posting something to a Board online only to find I no longer had a connection and all my work was lost.
Other UN-typically BAD: a 20" television! Seriously! Considering even more modest m/hotels have gone to 16:9 LCD or plasma tubes 32" and larger and, additionally, considering your HUGE profit margin for selling just one pay-per-view movie on your system, how can you justify this? Seems like a gaping hole in the Logic Department to me!
One other thing: apparently on-site breakfast is included in some room rates. It wasn't in mine - and I was quoted a price of $9.99 for that meal. Folks! There's a freakin' Denny's less than six blocks away on the same road! If all I wanted was something truly mundane like what amounts to a, "free breakfast buffett" at other venues, I'd take the drive down the road, pay less, and have access to more than just the standard h/motel breakfast fare!
Overall, liked the hotel, but, it's SO frustrating when things like bad, outdated, useless internet connections and questionable choices in amenities turn what could have been great into what IS simply frustrating in the end! I'd still recommend it, but I'd tell my, "victim" they've lots of other choices in the area at this price point and below and I'd take my chances elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Orting, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

First thing you will notice...it's addressed off Metcalf, but you actually have to turn onto 2 different roads to get to it...so watch for that, as U-Turns are a pain in this area...

The lobby is very nice, but the hallways and rooms are just so so. It's definitely an older hotel that could use some updating.

The window in my room was sweating on the inside, so it was difficult to see out. The hallways BADLY need some AC, as they were about 100+ degrees. The elevators have seen better days as well.

The internet...well, what internet??? Like someone else said....IT SUCKS.

Did I mention my neighbors? Holy crap, I think they were doing construction in their room...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf? Share your experiences!