“Create your own Meal Cooked to Order.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 381 restaurants in Overland Park
Cuisines: Barbecue
Olathe, Kansas
“Create your own Meal Cooked to Order.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

When you have a meal at BD's Mongolian Grill, your in for a world of Flavors. Our meal started with an appetizer called a shareable Trio which consisted Eggrolls, Batter fried Zucchini and Tempura. Other appetizer are Chicken fingers, wham bam Shrimp, potstickers and Crab Rangoon. They have Draft and bottled Beers, Sodas and Wines. After you are seated the server explains how you go through a line and fill your Bowl with meats, seafood, vegetable and sauce or spices and that your Bowl comes with a choice of White or Brown rice, Tortillas or Lettuce wraps. Which will be at your table when you return. I was not to sure on how to add the various items in my Bowl to make a good meal. My Server and another employee who I noted was stocking and checking the temp of items on the serving line, both offered me very helpful suggestions. At the begainning of the serving line they have recipe card also to help those who still might have problems setting up a balance meal. They also informed me that they had Gluten free sauces,Vegetarian options and Allergy free cooking. I also enjoyed the show put on by the Cooks who prepare my meal in front of me. When you return to your table and bite into your food you understand that your fears of not fixing a good meal were groundless. If you like Soup and Salad bar they have a very nice one. Kids menu meals Stirfry, Mac& Cheese, Chicken fingers, Pizza egg rollsor Mini Corn dogs. Deserts Fried Oreos,Hot Fudge Sundae, Carmel Cobbler,Brownie with hot Hershey fudge, Cheese Cakes. I don't no about you but I like to watch my food being cooked and receiving it hot, not having it prepard in another room and being placed in a window under a heat lamp some restaurants.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Pittsburg, Kansas
“Wow! This place is cool and glad we stopped.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We stopped her to eat while traveling. Waitresses and server very good at telling you about the food and how it all works. I love hot stuff and my wife does not. We were both satisfied with the portions and the food. You can watch them cook it right in front of your eyes. Pretty cool place.

Visited April 2013
kansas
“a lot of choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

It is always fun to go here to eat. Our last outting was for a late lunch this week so the crowd was slowing down.

They bring you a bowl and you go through the food line and put what you want in your bowl. Meats and seafood are first, then the veggies and they have a great variety of everything. Then you pick out the spices you want and any oil. Take it to the counter and they clean the round grill and toss yours on and start to stir fry it. Since the crowd was low, there was only one "chef" at that time and he was very entertaining. I'd never seen one toss their huge grill tool around before, but he was good at spinning and tossing it in the air and catching them. These are pretty long maybe about 3 inches or so.

The food was very good, we had flour tortillas and brown rice with ours. They also have a salad bar, but we never have enough room for both.

If you can go before dinner time the prices are lower as with most places. So you know us senior citizens...we love a bargain...It is about $4.00 cheaper for lunch.

We like to go here several times a year and often have family get together here.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Overland Park, Kansas
“Food and entertainment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Half the fun is watching people stack as much as possible in their bowls. I'm not laughing at anyone because I'm doing it myself. I understand there is an art to maximizing the contents and hope I will soon learn but I certainly did not go away hungry. For those that have never been you go through a line and fill a bowl with all your favorite stir fry ingredients, and they have them all. Don't forget the sauces from sweet to savory to really hot. You take your bowl to a large round grill manned by several chefs that cook your selections. When all is cooked you return to your table where you have been served lettuce and tortillas to make wraps and brown or white rice. You can choose a one trip dinner or unlimited trips. I only saw one very large patron that went more than once through the line. I was completely full and took home leftovers. "Have it your way" takes on new many at BD's.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
KC
“Always fairly consistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Always packed, this restaurant is what you make of it. The grillers are talented and cook things to your liking since you pick things out on the food bar. Lots of choices of meats, veggies, seasonings, flavors to make it just how you want it. They have changed their menu since last time I was there as they now have additional add-on purchases such as fried rice ($3.99 - $5.99 in addition to your meal) and a $2.95 for take-home.

It's pretty pricey, but always a nice splurge.

• Visited February 2013