“Would probably stay again.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Overland Park
USA
“Would probably stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The employees are phenomenal. Very friendly. The noise level is pretty high. The doors slam really hard, and that is pretty disturbing. The breakfast included biscuits and gravy. The biscuit was rock hard. I couldn't even break it up with my teeth. That's quite unacceptable. (However, the man serving breakfast was on top of things and greeted everyone with a smile and was willing to be of help. He was not scarce as many are in other hotels.) One thing I really liked was the pancake maker. Although I do love the waffles that other hotels offer, EVERY hotel offers them. So, this was a nice change. I had never seen one before.
While I was getting ready approximately 9:30am, the housekeeping had their music blaring in the hallway. I couldn't even believe it. I stepped into the hallway and asked them to turn it down. The guy mumbled something to me that I couldn't understand because heaven forbid someone speak the native language, but after about a minute, they turned it down.
Only minutes later, the wall to my room was vibrating from the vacuum cleaner. That was startling and then irritating. So, the housekeeping was my biggest problem. Very disruptive.
The bed was really hard which I loved. Others might not. However, I didn't sleep well because the air conditioner vibrated off an on. Had it vibrated all the time, that would've been ok. But it's the on again off again that interrupted my sleep.
So, I might stay again....might not.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Mrsmarkfb,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm very glad you were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast, the pancake maker and the service of our attendant, Hebert. I will pass on your comments about the biscuits and make sure we are keeping them fresh on the buffet. I apologize for the noise you experienced from housekeeping and the air conditioning unit. I do thank you for your feedback as it your comments that help us to improve our product and our service for all our guests. I hope to see you again the next time you are in the area.
Terri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Terri Swinford, the general manager, and her staff, especially Hebert (who was in charge of the breakfasts), went the extra mile for our family. We were gathered for a funeral and, starting from check-in, Terri and her staff acknowledged our loss and were constantly asking what more they could do to help. Terri set aside a private room for us so we could all sit together for breakfast. We also gathered there at various times over the 3 days we were at the hotel for mutual support, and even brought in lunch food and invited family members not staying at the hotel to join us. Terri brought in a refrigerator in which we could store our food, and coffee was constantly provided. It was as close to all of us staying with family as it could be--we felt taken care of by people who really cared about us with a sensitivity that was remarkable. We will never forget all this kindness.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Nancy, It is always very difficult to loose loved ones, but I am so glad you were able to gather your family together and let us take care of you. It was our pleasure to be able to provide you with the privacy your family deserved during this rough time. I hope you will come back and see us when you are in town next. Terri
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed here two nights on business. Very friendly and fast check-in. No problems with my room. Hotel was quiet, and the room was very clean.
Breakfast buffet was good, and Herbert was constantly making sure that food items were well-stocked, tables were cleared, and everyone had what they wanted at breakfast.
Location is near many small restaurants (including an always packed Chic-Fil-A) and the highway.
I would definately consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
tvphotog1, So glad you were able to experience our warm hospitality in Overland Park! Thanks for stay with us and I will pass along the compliments to Hebert at breakfast! I hope you will not only stay with us on business, but anytime you want to get away. We will see you next time.
Terri
Glen Carbon, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Have stayed at this hotel multiple times in the past six months without incident however this stay was not even close to fair. Noise level was grossly unacceptable and the bed linens soiled. Between the kids stomping overhead and the noisy guests in nearby rooms, the stay felt like a trip to the circus. Next trip I will be staying elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Nancy S
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Since you've stayed with us previously, you know this is not typical of our hotel. We do everything we can to provide our guests with a quiet, clean room. It is unfortunate that other guests made it a rough stay for you. I hope you will choose to stay with us again when you are in the area.
Jefferson City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed here for a soccer tourney. I was immediately impressed that they imposed a curfew for the children. Very nice that they think of the other customers. Breakfast a winner as always. Very clean!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thanks for choosing to stay with us for your soccer tournament. We try to ensure that every guest has a quiet relaxing stay every time. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our hot breakfast. Come see us again next time you are in the Overland Park area!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Check in was great with a cheerful person. The hotel has a no smoking policy - great. They also have a no noise policy which they do not enforce. Both policies must be signed for when checking in. Our next door neighbors were very noisy well past midnight. Apparently they do not monitor their rooms and I do not feel it is up to us to tell the people next door to quite down. Generally we rate this chain of hotels highly but because of the noise we down rated them. Probably will not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I do apologize for the issue you had regarding the noise from your neighbors. We have every guest sign for our no smoking and noise policies upon arrival at our hotel. We enforce both policies when we are made aware of situations or they are discovered by our staff. If you are ever uncomfortable for any reason, please contact the front desk. We do everything we can to proactively make your stay as relaxing and worryfree as possible. As per our policy, we will make every attempt to quiet rooms down beginning with a courtesy call from the front desk or a personal visit. Our guests comfort, safety, and security are our priority! I hope on your next visit in town, you will give us the opportunity to take care of you!
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The first impression of this hotel is great, but then it just dimishes upon arrival and after interaction with staff. Due to traveling challenges, I arrived late in the night to the hotel. I stood at the front desk for quite some time. I didn't think I would have to track down an employee to check me. The last place I looked was in the main lobby area where I found the front desk employee watching TV. Not only was it unprofessional, she did not even bother to apologize for making me have to track her down. Once I reached the room, I found some issues with cleanliness and quickly informed the front desk. She was able to switch me to another room (again, with no apology). I was able to rest for a few short hours before heading out but then ran into yet another employee in the breakfast area that was not too pleasant. I asked the location of the yogurt and she simply flailed her arm in the general direction of the item. (not a "good morning" or walking me over to the item). I left the hotel with a bad taste in my mouth from the lack of customer service from the staff. I would highly recommend booking elsewhere until the staff is trained in customer service to assist guests. Highly disapointed in this location and will be booking my stay elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask the staff if the room is clean of debris.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Terri S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I value your feedback, as we rely on our guests to give us their perspect that we sometimes miss. We do everything we can stress the importance of taking care of our guests with the courtesy and friendliness that you deserve. I want to apologize for your unpleasant experience and hope you will give us another opportunity to take care of you in future.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Overland Park? Share your experiences!