“Staff are AMAZING, Hotel is AGING” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Overland Park
Prairie Village, Kansas
“Staff are AMAZING, Hotel is AGING”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here on points (Platinum PC Member) for a banquet dinner with my wife. Excited to get a night away from the kiddos! Staff were very nice and helpful and acknowledged my PC status and offered me 1 breakfast coupon and 2 bottles of water. Rooms are tired and worn out, but they were clean. The hotel was packed this Saturday with traveling soccer families, and the staff managed well. I alerted the housekeeping staff to the slow tub drain in Room 222 upon check out, so it would be interesting to see if they fixed it. I always let managers know if I'm not happy with a stay and there is something they can do to help me. In this particular instance, I knew that there was nothing they could do. The hotel is old and in need of a thorough remodel. For as busy as it was, the owners should have the funds to embark on this campaign. 20,000 PC points for the night was excessive. This is a 10,000 point per night property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GM-36, Rooms Division Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

You’re positive accolades are greatly appreciated however we welcome the comments that help us improve even more. Thank you for alerting us regarding the drain issue from room 222. It was promptly fixed following your departure.

The hotel team and ownership have made a commitment to keep our property clean, maintained, and always looking new. There are many changes planned for 2013 to keep the property fresh and modern.

Please call or email me directly should you find a need for lodging in the area again. I would very much like the opportunity to earn back your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The biggest disappointment that my husband and I had was the lack of comfort and sleep in the uncomfortable beds.The building itself was nice and clean looking.We were unable to get a king sized bed, so we settled for queen, and although we sleep on a queen sized bed at home, we can't help but wonder if this was more like a full size bed.(they seemed smaller)The first night there we both tossed and turned, so the following night we changed to the other bed and it was 'slightly' better but still not as comfy as we would have liked. We attended the managers get-together that claimed to offer free appetizers and drink specials on wednesday evenings, only to be greeted by a grouchy manager who pointed out the ONE kind of appetizer and served us our ordered mixed drinks as though we were puttng him out by doing so. We had one drink and left. For the $$ money $$ we spent for two days at this hotel I would have had a nicer stay at the best western where I will be going the next time we are in town. P.S The instant coffee served in the restaurant is horrible!

Room Tip: If you want a good view don't get a room on the south side of the 3rd floor. Ask for another roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GM-36, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

Our highest priority here at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park is to ensure our guest satisfaction. The hotel has King and Double beds available that do meet the high standards put in place by Intercontinental Hotel Group.

Your experience in the Green Mill bar was unfortunate as it is continuously recognized for it's great food and friendly service. I will forward your comment to the restaurant manager to explore.

It is my hope that you reconsider your decision on returning to the hotel. Given the opportunity, I believe we can change your opinion. Please contact me directly if you do so that I may extend a complimentary upgrade to one of our King Suites.

Sincerest regards.
Shawnne Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is close to my home. My daughter and 8 year old grandson recently came to visit and I made them reservations. It's always an easy process and the people are kind. Just wanted to go out my way to say thank you as I always feel appreciated by this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GM-36, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your complimentary review of the hotel and staff. Your business is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Van Buren, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The overall appearance of the hotel seemed nice and clean. Our one major issue was our carpet was wet and sticky. We all walked around in our shoes. The beds were terrible. Every movement caused the mattress to continue moving for some time afterwards. My kids did enjoy the pool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GM-36, Rooms Division Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies for the uncommon issues you experienced regarding the carpet and mattress. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department managers so that we may resolve any inconsistencies immediately.

Please contact me directly should you return to the area as I would like the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Sincerest regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We were greeted warmly by the evening desk clerk but soon found there was a problem (not on the hotel's part) with our reservation. The manager was promptly called and he graciously resolved the matter in moments. So refreshing to experience such a high level of service in a budget-friendly hotel! While the carpet in the 2nd floor hallway was dated and worn, the guest room was clean and fresh with modern linens and window treatments. There were plenty of quality pillows and a newer flat-screen television. The showerhead was amazing and we had no problems with the water temperature or pressure. Sure, the building is older and you can see that in small ways such as the paint and door hardware, but I don't think that's really an issue in this price range. I was pleased to see the cleaning staff thoroughly sanitizing the vending and ice machine area even on a Sunday night. The hotel restaurant had excellent food and we had terrific, genuinely pleasant service by Jo. Wonderful overall experience!

• Stayed August 2012
GM-36, Rooms Division Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for the honest and kind review. The impression we made with you is what we strive for with all our guests. We hope to see you again.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

When we checked in we were given a room on the third floor. It was your typical hotel room. It had an a/c unit and everything you would expect. The one thing that was unexpected was the wet carpet.

We called the front desk. They apologized and quickly gave us a different, upgraded room due to our problem. This room was on the first floor and felt like it was in a different hotel. There was central air and a parlor with a second tv. If you have the extra money to spend or need the extra space, it was wonderful!

The hotel was fairly quiet and in a great location. I went into Kansas City, MO to sightsee on a couple of days and was there within 20 minutes or less.

This budget-friendly hotel comes highly recommended on my part.

A friend checked in a few days after us and was given a room on the seventh floor. He is a big guy and told us that the ceilings were very low. So, keep that in mind if you are tall, I guess.

Room Tip: Seventh floor has low ceilings.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GM-36, Rooms Division Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
It was great of you to point out the positives you experienced during your stay with us. We hope to see you again!
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I do a lot of business travel and use Priceline a lot, so this hotel was a reasonable bid. Otherwise I would never book this outright, so often Holiday Inns are very hit or miss, and this is more of a miss.
I asked for a lower room because I hate waiting for the elevator, so i insisted on a room on the lowest floor. The man at the front desk acted a little irritated about that request, he did have a long line of people waiting to check in. But he said I shouldn't have a problem getting the elevator, well guess what, one of the elevators was broken.

They could use a few modern updates on the furnishings and new carpet in room and hallways. The air conditioner unit was extremely loud and the bathtub was not too clean.

Wouldn't be my first choice the next time I'm in KC area, but will suffice in a pinch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GM-36, Rooms Division Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay.
Please accept our apologies regarding the elevator issue which occurred the weekend of your stay. Although this was an isolated event it did create a waiting period for the remaining operational elevator.
If you return to the area, please contact me directly so that I may upgrade your reservation to one of our suites located on the first floor of the hotel.

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West? Share your experiences!