“Definitely not the best HGI I've stayed in.” 2 of 5 stars

Double HHonors Points
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Overland Park
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tennessee
“Definitely not the best HGI I've stayed in.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel experience was not great. The room was very stuffy, and never really cooled down in the dead of winter with the AC on full blast. We also felt like no one had stayed in our room for a while because by the morning, both my husband and I had itchy eyes and had spent a great part of the night sneezing/ coughing when we weren't having allergy problems before or after... so, it had to be the hotel. The bed also had a spring that stuck through the mattress and actually cut my leg in the night.

So, needless to say, we won't be going here again. I was really disappointed because typically the Hilton Garden Inn is a pretty decent hotel. I am thinking that this was either an off property or maybe even an off room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed October 19-21st, 2012. The rooms were clean and spacious. The microwave and refrigerator came in very handy. It was also nice to stay in a room that was very quiet. We had some difficulty with purchasing a movie. Apparently, once you purchase, you have to watch it countinuously, no pausing. However, the staff was very friendly and helpful and removed the charge from our bill. The hotel has a great buffet breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Yes, the elevator is slow, but the rooms are spacious, modern, well-maintained, and clean. Every room has a microwave and refrigerator. Rooms with two beds are queens - not doubles. Front staff was great at check-in. As a Hilton Diamond member, I stay at a lot of HGI. This site is typical of the chain. While not the best, it is not as run down as some. I would definitely return if in the area and recommend it as a business hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Grove, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn was a good choice for for my wife and I when I had to spend a week at the corporate headquarters in Kansas City. The staff was courteous, the facility was clean and well appointed. Breakfast was good and the location was handy for me with our offices nearby. The beds were great and we especially appreciated the quality pillows.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Pros: Great customer service on Sunday afternoon 8/26 when I arrived; I was able to check in early; the room was clean; updated flat screen TVs; internet connection worked without issue; wide bright hallways. Cons: I did not receive my USA Today at my door on any of the days that I stayed; furniture needs an update; too small work out room (which is generally the case for these trypes of hotels that have not gone through a recent renovation) and in general, the area -while within a few minutes drive of restaurants and shopping centers -- was a little "boring", That neing said, the hotel is situated right next to a conference center so should you be attending an event here, then the location is perfect. The fact the stff missed placing the USA Today at my door on all days of my stay was really surprising. There was just nothing very exciting about this hotel -- the furnishings and the decor was showing its age. Would I recommend someone to stay here? Purely if they needed a place for the night or if they needed to be at the convention center. This is not an impressive property so if I would not direct folks to this place is my intent was to impress them. However, if you are in the area for business and just plan on using your room for work or sleep, then this place ifs fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed at many Hilton Garden Inns and have stayed at this one several times in recent years. But this stay has not been as satisfactory as prior times. The hotel is definitely showing signs of aging and not as up-to-date as other Hilton Garden Inns. As my family was staying for five days and nights we booked a suite and were dismayed to find out we were given a handicapped suite which not only made it unavailable for someone who is handicapped but also was inconvenient for us. The shower and tub were hard to use and the bathroom sink was miniscule with almost no counterspace. The hotel was booked solid so we could not get another suite. The sofabed had as poor a mattress as one can find. The sheets on the king-sized bed did not fit the bed at all and pulled off every night until I eventually begged for linens that would fit. The bedroom and the suite area each had a different type of thermostat making it difficult to keep the temperature consistent throughout our space. Also, the air conditioning unit was so loud you could either stay awake all night from the noise or close the ac and stay awake all night because it was too hot. Overall the place was clean but showing signs of wear and tear. The staff was pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Walt S, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including items of opportunity. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. We also apologize for the noise of the air conditioning unit disrupting the comfort of your stay. We will look into these problems and address these for the next guests. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.
Mo.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

this hotel is maintained beautifully & make their guest feel special in lovely surroundings, excellent service beyond the call of duty and WITH a good attitue & great price. Thank you for a lovely evening after a tiring day on the road.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park? Share your experiences!