“Almost perfect...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood
8901 Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park, KS 66212 (Formerly J. Gilber's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood)
913-642-8070
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 381 restaurants in Overland Park
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 89th
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week and lunch banquets. Reservations are recommended
Raymore, Missouri
“Almost perfect...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had my birthday dinner here with my husband, and it was so close to being a perfect dining experience. First of all, we had a reservation and were running late. We called to let them know, but we ended up running later than we expected (approximately 30 minutes after our reservation) but they still managed to have an excellent table waiting for us. I commend them for this, especially being a busy saturday night. I enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant and the fact that you don't have to sit right next to other diners. We tried a shrimp appetizer and both ordered the "pre-fix" 3 course dinner. We tried the crab bisque soup, the wedge salad, and we both ordered a filet with our preference of sides and we both got dessert. All of the food was delicious, the only problem was that my husband was brought out the wrong steak and it took 7-8 minutes to get the problem corrected, all the while my steak was cooling down. We ended up spending $100+ on the meal, and were not offered any type of discount or complementary dessert. Our server apologized, however I do not feel that was enough considering the scale and price of the dining experience. The server doing a better job of acknowledging their mistake would have taken this experience from 4 stars to 5 stars easily. I cannot deny the food was delicious, but I cannot say without a doubt that we will go back.

P.S. Isn't this restaurant located in Overland Park?

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Guildford
“A train crash!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Oh dear, did we go on a bad night or is the State of Denmark rotten? This is an expensive restaurant by any standard. 2 of us came from London so we know. Dirty cutlery, one of the guests had his order forgotten so it arrived after everyone else had eaten and before he could finish the main course arrived and his half eaten plate was whisked away. The manager eventually arrived and with an arrogance which had to be seen to believed in the face if polite criticism generously offered to refund the cost of the half eaten late starter. Coffee arrived with half of it in the cup. Shame as the food was not bad if overpriced. We will not be returning. Weep if you own this place.

Torrance, California
“Never Disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Beautifully cooked steaks, delicious seafood, nice comfortable atmosphere and a great friendly staff leads to a wonderful meal. Have had the opportunity to visit several times in the past several years and each time we've enjoyed an excellent dinner with terrific service. My last visit I tried the special - swordfish on a bed of mushroom risotto. Delicious. Don't forget to save some room for dessert. Left with a smile on my face. They also have a full bar and a nice assortment of wines to accompany you meal.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City
“Always a good meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This place has consistently great food in a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. The service is also top notch. I like the fact that they have items on the menu that don't have gigantic portions. I don't need to consume massive quantities - it's more about the quality to me. I just think that the overall experience is consistently first rate.

Visited September 2012
Lees Summit
“Best kept secret in K C Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

J Gilbert's is our favorite anniversary resturant. It is a bit pricey but they are always consisant and the service has always been great. The steaks are the best we have found anywhere, it is a restuarant we treat ourselves to once a year. We have also taken our family here for specail occasions and have gotten the same reviews from them.

• Visited September 2012