“Very good value, huge rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park

You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10556 Marty Avenue, Overland Park, KS 66212   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Overland Park
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Omaha
“Very good value, huge rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

When I travel with my three young children, I love to have a suite because my kids go to sleep early and my husband and I can stay up in the other room. I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Our room was VERY large. The bedroom portion had two queen beds and they were plush and comfortable. The room was much larger than the two beds. The bathroom area was clean and somewhat roomy. The living area was quite nice, and bright. The pull-out sofa was somewhat comfortable but we actually took the pull-out mattress and just put it on the floor and it was very comfortable that way.

I loved that there was a full kitchen with a large fridge/freezer. We had kids age 4, 2 and 3 months and having a kitchen to clean bottles and store some snacks was very nice.

The free breakfast at the hotel was better than expected. They did run out of a few things each day. Juice was one that always ran out, as well as the muffins. There was a small wait to make waffles but they were very tasty. Better than most free breakfast buffets.

The pool at the hotel is only open through Labor Day and we were there right before so we were able to use it, but in September, it was cold! The hot tub was not super hot so I was able to take my 4 year-old in the hot tub. It did have some leaves in it and the pool does not get much sun because it is inbetween two sides of the building, so I don't see it being very warm any time of the year.

The location was very suburban, so there were some malls and restaurants but it was not near most of the things we wanted to see.

Our breaker went out one night and the power in our room went out and it took about 30 minutes to get it back on. It wasn't terrible but I didn't feel that should happen in a hotel. It happened at night so we had to leave our hallway door open for some light while we waited.

I would go back again. Great value for price, larger rooms, good for families.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed here for a night while traveling through, and were very dissapointed with the standards that they found to be normal. About the only area of the hotel that looks updated is the lobby. The rooms are extremely cramped and both furniture and fixtures are outdated. We found our room to smell more than faintly like cigarette smoke and when I asked the front desk attendant about it, she just told me it wasn't allowed in the hotel. Not that she would have it taken care of, or that she was sorry, just that it wasnt' allowed. Gee, so helpful. Thankfully the windows open and as long as we kept them open, the smell wasn't bad. The pool was outside and didn't look like it had been cleaned that day (leaves and dirt in it) and the workout equipment didn't seem well maintained (bad headphones and squeaky parts). Breakfast was just ok, but the items didn't get refilled very often as evidenced by a line of guests waiting for food as I exited later that morning. I might give the Homewood suites another try, but this was no where near what Hilton standards should be at.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Bella Vista, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

I'm disappointed in this Homewood Suites. The rooms are clean but seem old. There are LCD televisions but the furniture looks like it's from the 1970s. (The Formica table is peeling on the edges)

No guide of services in this room. Front desk staff couldn't even tell me what channel ABC was on the tv. Had booked 2 nights but left after one.

• Stayed October 2010
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

My wife and like to utilize Hilton properties. On our last trip to Overland Park we tried the Hampton and were very disappointed (see my review). We decided to give this hotel a try on this trip. I was not impressed with check-in. I walked into a nice, clean, good looking lobby to a vacant check-in desk. i stood there for about a minute and then walked around the lobby to try to find someone...no luck. Over 5 minutes later I heard a voice say "I'll be with you in a minute". A few minutes later a person appeared from a side room and checked me in. No apology, just a businesslike check-in. Not a good start.

The room, however, was a different story. It was essentially a 4 room suite and all of them were large. The kitchen/dining area had a nice dinette table and two chairs, a full size refrigerator, a two burner range top, a microwafe oven, dishwasher (with detergent supplied) and eating and cooking utensils including plates and pots and pans. The sitting room had a flatscreen TV, sofa, and large stuffed chair. The bedroom had a kingsize bed, nightstands, dresser and flatscreen TV. The bathroom was huge. We had a handicapped accessable room so the bathroom in regular rooms might not be as large. The closets were relatively small compared to the rest of the suite and chairs in the bedroom would have been a nice touch.

The breakfast area brought us back to the service problem. The area itself is too small for the number of guests. Add to that fact that one person was covering the area created a backlog of guests continually waiting on hot food. On Sunday my wife and I gave up and stopped for breakfast after we left the hotel on the way home.

Bottom line...we will return here when we return to the area. The room itself was enough to give the service another chance. We didn't speak with management this time but will next time if the problems persist. And when I say speak with the management I do not mean yell and complain. I am a manager in customer service myself and I know when I have problems such as these I appreciate someone who will calmly discuss their issues with me.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years and have been satisfied. This time, I'm sad to say, did not measure up to our expectations. When we checked in, there was nobody at the front desk, so we had to wait several minutes. When she finally appeared, she could not have cared less if we were there or not. (We must have interrupted her from something VERY important!)

Our room was clean and the bed was quite comfortable -- although the sheets could use an upgrade.

Now, I admit part of the following is my fault, as I should have asked for a room on the top floor. We were given a room on the second floor, which has been alright in the past. Unfortunately, this time, we had a herd of elephants in the room above us!! There was never a quiet moment. We had continuous pounding, jumping, etc. I understand it is sometimes difficult to control children, but do parents let their children run and jump nonstop??

My recommendation for the hotel is to put parents with small children on the first floor and couples on the top floor. There must be some way to regulate this!!

As usual, the breakfast was quite good and plentiful. Will we return? Maybe. But I will definitely ask to be on the top floor.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Great hotel right off of the highway. Great location for traveling if passing through Kansas City the south. Bonus, Krispy Kreme is really close!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

That is what makes a good stay for me. They had a choice of pillows too. The breakfast and dinner items were filling too.

The excersize room had new equipment that I used 2 nights.

The only downside were the 2 TVs in the room. Neither of them worked very well. I think they were new and did not function without the remote control.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park? Share your experiences!