“Excellent hands on learning experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Parks
Attraction Details
Syracuse, NY
“Excellent hands on learning experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a must do with children. It was a great hands experience for my granddaughters ages 18 months and 6 yrs old. We stayed about 2 hours and could have stayed longer if we weren't trying to fit so much into a short visit. It gets busier later in the day so go early in the morning if you want to avoid a mob of excited children crowding each other out at the exhibits.

Visited July 2013

Kansas City, Missouri
20 attraction reviews
“Fun, Cheap, and even More to Do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We went back to Deanna Rose this year. It was a lot of fun. Most of the construction of updating stuff was gone when we went two years ago. There is the goats to feed for only $1 from a bottle, but you can just pet them. There is cow to look at and you can even see them being milked if you are there at the right time. You can also fish for a pretty cheap price. Admission is free during the week and cost of weekends and special events, so always check prior to going. I love that I can get a wagon or stroller around the park easy since there is quite a bit of walking. The kids love to stop and play in the playgrounds for a bit, including the big red barn with a slide. We also fed some other animals with a few quarters, so remember to grab some change before you go. This is the first time we took the nature trail towards the back of the park, that was nice. We also looked at some birds and others in cages. Then we look around at the garden that Master's Gardner's maintain, with some cute little cut out to take your kids pictures in a butterfly. Some rocks and items with letters and numbers to for the kids. If your town for the week looking for something to do this is a different and fun experience if you have never been. We didn't visit everything and were there for a good 3 hours, they allow you to pack a lunch so that is nice. If we would of we would of stayed a little longer to finish seeing everything.

Visited May 2013
Overland Park, Kansas
“Excellent place to take the kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visit Deanna Rose regularly. It's easy to spend a couple of hours walking the grounds. Lot's of activities for the kids too. Our son loves to feed the baby goats.

Visited July 2013
Kansas
“I liked showing the kids what farm life was like, good memories.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place is a wonderful place to show your Kids and Grand children what the farm life was like in days past. I was a city boy but was in a boys home on a farm for a while, it was the best time of my childhood. My Grand children loved the visit and really got into the feeling of the farm. My Grand Daughter even lost her iphone for a while (she is never without her iphone). Everything is so well kept and just like a day from the past. There is a charge but I didn't spend over $12.00 for each child which makes it a really inexpensive day. I was lucky enough to be able to explain things like planting, animal care, what the different machinery did, etc. This is one place that the kids asked to go back to that didn't cost $50.00 plus a day. When I have visitors from out of state I try to take them here. It is a great place for all people to visit at any age, I took a friend in his late 80's, he spent about 20 minutes looking at the old John Deere (Johnny Popper) tractor, I could see him reliving the past in his eyes. I think you will enjoy this place.

Visited May 2013
Overland Park, Kansas
13 attraction reviews
“Absolutely excellent day out for the kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you have small children, the Farmstead is wonderful. It is very large, lots of walking, and much to do and see. It's part zoo with goats, petting zoo, chickens, rabbits, long horn steer, sheep, etc. It also has a prairie dog village that is fun to watch. Gardens and flowers decorate the area. Benches and porch swings are all around. There is a small lake where the kids can fish, and a dairy barn where they milk the cow, and have baby calves in pens.
Not having kids or grandkids to take, my husband & I go ourselves sometimes for a great walk. I love the prairie era one room schoolhouse. There is a great Indian Lodge complete with furs and things the Indians used everyday. Kids love to "pan" for gold- or jewels- in the mine area.
There are pony rides and hayrack rides.
I think it's a great place to interact with kids in this day and age of electronics and videos. They will learn much of the past on the Plains, and have a great day to remember. Even as adults, it's fun for us. There is an admission price on weekends, but free during the week.A very unique place!

Visited September 2012