“horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Overland Park
Chicago
“horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

This was one of the top 3 worst hotel experiences of my life (and the absolute worst at a major chain). The room was listed as a "Sofa bed Parlor Suite". I booked 4 rooms for colleagues and myself expecting bedrooms with a sofabed in a parlor area. What I got was a board room with a huge table and a sofa bed behind a half wall. The woman at the front desk admitted she had never seen a room like this before she worked there.

I find this listing completely DECEPTIVE!

To make the horrible experience of sleeping on a sofa bed even worse the air conditioning switched to heat during the night which led me to wake up fully drenched in sweat. Then I stepped on a piece of broken glass on my way to the bathroom. The only lucky part of my stay was that this glass did not puncture my skin.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

Fine stay for one week.

Clean and efficient large tower-block hotel.

Close to main road, easy access.

Good choice for breakfast. Sunday Brunch is good value too.

• Stayed August 2004
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

I'm writing this, but keep in mind I got the family rate for this Hotel for $69.00 per night. The hotel is clean and decent looking, the staff was quick and friendly. The check-in was smooth. Our room was kind of strange though. It was designed to be handicapped accessible, which unfortunately meant that the layout was odd and there was no counter space in the bathroom. There was room for a comb on the sink itself, but other than that 0 counter space, made getting ready a pain. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. I had to pay for internet access and I really don't like to do that especially at $13 per day. Parking lot was not well planned had to park pretty far away both nights I stayed.

I'm giving this hotel an neutral rating because had I been charged the full rate for this Hotel I would have not been impressed, however, that said, most of the negatives I have are things that probably would have been fixed had I complained to the staff. Had I expressed my thoughts about the room, I probably could have gotten a different one, if I complained enough about paying for internet they MIGHT have given me free access. I'm just one that hates to complain unless something is really messed up.

• Liked — Pretty easy to find, good location, friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Paying for Internet, lack of counterspace in the bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

Stayed at the Doubletree Overland Park for one night on business in Lenexa, KS. The hotel was okay, nothing special, but the food was good, the staff was friendly, and the bed was very comfortable. So, it did the trick. Bathroom was a little run down, though. I ate at the hotel restaurant for both dinner & breakfast (good steak, excellent breakfast).

I will probably wind up staying there again due to the location of the hotel, and I'm fine with that.

• Liked — The food and the bed
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Plano, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

Stayed at the DoubleTree Overland Park KS Corporate Woods over Labor Day 2007. Our stay was nice but believe the bath tub tile could be cleaned every once in a while with mold remover. We were assigned a corner room 1215 which meant there is a 90 degree turn in the inside hall between the door and the bed area. My wife liked that so that no one could see directly into the room from the hall. There are Sweet Dreams beds. The hotel was full with soccer players and several weddings.

There was excessive mold in the tile grout in the shower and the exhaust vent grill was caked with who knows what. We received buffet breakfast for both of use each day. Also two bottles of water in the room. The buffet was nice except for the frozen strawberries from a bag on Labor Day. Omelettes cooked to order. At breakfast on Sunday morning the restaurant manager asked if we were enjoying the restaurant and the room. I told him about the mold in the bath and he was very apologetic and showed a sincere appreciation that we had brought up the mold issue when asked. Pretty soon after that the server brought us a tin of DoubleTree cookies. A fast and appreciated acknowlegement that mold in the bath is unacceptable.

The fitness room is roomy and there is a racquetball court. The pool is inside with a hot tub. All are located in a separate building from the hotel via an inside walkway. There is an outside deck surrounded by woods and walking trails through the woods.

I would stay here again although there are much newer hotels nearby including HGI, Sheraton at the Overland Park Convention Center, Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott. The area is close to the Sprint campus. Inspect the bathroom tile and exhast vent grill upon entering the room and if unacceptable ask to be relocated before unpacking.

Stayed September 2007
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

I'm not sure where to start. I called two days prior to our visit to change our reservations from the 2 double bed rooms that I had originally reserved (for my husband, myself and 2 kids) to the queen suite. I was assured that the suite had a separate bedroom with a door. When we arrived, we found that there was no separate room for the bedroom in the suite and that the double rooms were now all booked. That presented a problem since now one of the adult's snoring kept the children awake every night. In addition to just the basic sleeping arrangements, the room itself was shabby and smelled terrible. The furniture was covered in various unidentifable stains and I was relunctant to sit on anything. When we initially arrived, we called housekeeping for bedding for the pull out sofa and rollaway bed. The housekeeper would not have even changed the bedding on the pull out if we had not pointed out crumbs on the sheets apparently left over from a prior tenant.The bathroom was very dark. There were never enough towels or toilet paper (we had to call down 2 out out of the 3 nights to get 4 towels rather than 2 and had to resort to facial tissue for the latter). To top this off, there were mosquitos throughout the hotel, including the restaurant and lounge. We were on the 12th floor and mosquitos still reached that level. All of us left our visit with multiple bug bites. The elevators smelled horrible as did the floor we stayed on. We were there for my father in law's funeral and the hotel was not a pleasant experience. We had originally planned to book at the Holiday Inn. We should have.

On a good note, the front desk and lounge staff were great... friendly and very professional. The cookies were a fabulous treat. It's too bad that the hotel accomodations and housekeeping does not measure up to the standards of the hospitality staff.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — Shabby and Smelly
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

This was my second stay at the Doubletree in Overland Park and both times I've found the rooms to be clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable and my husband loved having a choice of pillows.

Check-in was efficient, even on a busy Saturday evening and a warm chocolate chip cookie is good any time of day! The breakfast buffet is rather pricey; I'd opt for ordering from the menu (or a nearby restaurant).

We'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2007

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!