“great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 hotels in Olathe
Dallas, Texas
“great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We normally stay at the hampton inn in Merriam and enjoy it. When we arrived after a 12 hour drive, I realized i did not book the suite. Husband annoyed... faimily tired and hungry. I called the Residence Inn because I remember seeing good reviews. Justin at the desk booked us a room, gave directions (he said gps can take you the wrong way) reminded us about the free snacks, beer and wine on wed. I don't drink but my husband could use a glass of wine at this point, lol . The room was what we needed, nice and clean. We rearranged it a little to seat 4 at the table. The staff was always helpful and friendly. The room was cleaned everyday. We stayed 4 nights. Breakfast was good enough. I liked the waffles with strawberries and whipped cream on top. Oh they do tend to start putting the food up early so get there at least 30 min. before they say it ends, same thing on the night thing on the nights they do that. In the dining area...There is only one table for 4 so most the time we pushed tables together. It baffled me that a single business man sat at the table for 4 not concerned for the family folks. The pool was not as large as the one at the Hampton but it was nice and large enough. It is a pet friendly hotel which was not a problem for us, every once in a while i got a hint of pet smells while walking down the hall but not often ( i do have a high sense of smell my husband, daughter, nor granddaughter noticed it).
We really liked the location. It is close to so many places to eat. The amc 30 ...Home Good store ....target. I am normally a Hilton girl but It turned out Great. I would stay here again

Room Tip: Elevator is slow if you get a room close the the stairs you can go in and out the side door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your awesome feedback on our property. We appreciate the positives. We hope that you come back to see us again soon!!

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Topeka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spent 3 weeks at the Residence Inn in Olathe, KS. Overall, I would rate the hotel as average based on the one room I stayed in, the staff's performance, the amenities of the hotel, and the surrounding area. First the negatives:

1. I stayed in an economy room, so it had a studio layout. The one dresser in the room doubled as the TV stand, which was too short to be able to view the TV from the bed and the other furniture (a chair and a sofa bed) was arranged around the fireplace. This provided no useful viewing angle for people to watch the TV unless I wanted to drag the furniture around the room to correct the problem. Not really a deal breaker, but irritating none the less.

2. Every pot or pan in the kitchen was warped so bad that it made cooking anything on the stove top nearly impossible. The center of the pot was the only thing that made contact with the stove top, while the edges of the pot stuck up about a half inch from the cooking surface. The result was that anything put in the center of the pot would get scorched while anything on the outer edge of the pot didn't even get warm.

3. The grill that was advertised as an amenity was a joke. The bottom of the grill was full of holes, the wire for the starter was hanging disconnected out of the bottom, the grill surface was gross, and there were no grilling utensils available except for the broken grill brush that was full of gunk. I'm not saying I needed a grill, but given the pot and pan situation, it would have been nice to use the advertised amenity. In order to even light the grill I had to light some paper on fire and stick it in the bottom of the thing while the gas was on...not exactly the way the instructions would want someone to do it.

4. The fitness room was tiny and the close proximity of everything made the whole room very awkward when more than two people wanted to use some of the machines. No weights, just two treadmills (one of which was antiquated), a bike, and an elliptical.

5. The hotel plugged their fitness court, which is kind of a miniature tennis court with a basketball hoop on one end. Both basketballs at the front desk were flat, and they did not have a pump fix the situation. I ended up going to Dick's Sporting goods and getting a three dollar pump just so I could shoot some hoops to pass the time. Most days, the kids from the neighboring apartment complex came over and played ball until it got dark so the opportunities to just shoot around were limited (I'm to old to be running around trying to keep up with them).

4. The remote didn't work very well with my TV. Something that probably could have been fixed had I called the front desk, but still irritating.

5. Neither one of the two clothes dryers for use (with quarters) were capable of drying a normal load of clothes. So your options were either pay for another cycle and hope that it was enough to get your clothes dry, or hang your clothes all over your room for them to air dry.

The positives on the Hotel:

1. Breakfast was awesome! They advertised that it started at 630am but frequently I would arrive a little early and it was always ready to go (I had to leave at 630am to get to work on time).

2. Chocolate chip cookies were fantastic and were usually out every night.

3. The location is great. If you felt so inclined, you can walk to several eateries and a huge movie theatre complex right next to the hotel.

4. The room had a fireplace which would have been nice if it was cold.

5. The staff was friendly.

*I cannot speak to the manager dinners during the week as I never came down for one.

Overall, I ended up giving the hotel just an average grade simply due to the fact that there were too many little things that did not meet the standards that I have grown accustomed to from staying at other Marriott hotels. It was a nice place to stay for a week or so, but for me, 18 days was a little too long to be dealing with such JV issues.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We really appreciate your thorough review of our property. We take feedback very serioulsy and will look into the things that you brought up. We hope that you return in the near future.
Vail, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

It's pretty rare for me to write hotel reviews while I'm still at the hotel. For one thing, I haven't yet finished the stay and may discover some other issues worth mentioning (good or not-so-good). Or maybe the front desk folks will figure out who I am and zap me with a taser (just kidding, of course...uh, I think).

But let's get down to business. I'm in Kansas City by myself for two weeks for some company training. My first week was at the Crowne Plaza, which if you follow my reviews you'll see that I mostly shredded (sorry, Crowne Plaza, but I still think it was balanced). For the second week, I moved to the Residence Inn in Olathe and the difference is like night and day. Let's put it this way: for moving just a few miles down the road I've got a one bedroom mini-apartment with not only a real refrigerator but an entire kitchenette! It's clean, comfortable, and the next best thing to being home. The front desk folks are absolutely awesome and the lot of them deserve raises -- they're holding a bag for a colleague who's not arriving until Monday, found some extra hangers when I needed them, and are just downright friendly.

I desperately want to give the Residence Inn five stars. But I've got to restrain myself and remember that I try to write balanced reviews. One other thing to keep in mind -- for those of you who've read my other reviews know -- I almost always focus on the "big stuff". Too many reviewers get emotional and either praise a hotel like it's heaven on earth or totally trash it for the silliest and most trivial reasons.

Fortunately, there's only one reason why I can't give this Residence Inn five stars. It's the Internet service, which business travelers like me depend on for a lot of our work. No, I don't expect blazing speeds like I have at home but the Internet connectivity at this property is seriously underpowered and easily gets bogged down. Last night it was almost useless, probably because it was so heavily over-used it was running out of steam.

To make my criticism constructive (and since I'm a Cyber Security consultant by profession), I'll offer up some free advice that may help them solve the problem:

1. Your provider is CenturyLink and whatever speed they're providing you is simply not enough to support all the units in this complex. Very early this morning, when most everyone was still in bed, I ran a speed test and the result was only about 5mb download. Granted, that was through the wireless, we'll get to that in a moment.

2. Your wireless access points don't support Wireless-N and should be upgraded to b/g/n access points. Wireless-N is much more efficient and almost all laptops and wireless devices can use it these days.

3. Secure your connection with at least WPA and change the password once a week. You've almost certainly got bandwidth leeches -- there are condos and townhomes in very close proximity to your building and I'd bet a paycheck that some of the folks back there are unwelcome visitors on your wireless network, sucking bandwidth away from paying guests.

My company is headquartered in Lenexa and I'd love to stay here every time I come to town. Congratulations on a fine property, a great staff, and for the "almost five stars" review!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate all the information that we recieve back from our guests. We hope that you come back to visit us in the very near future!!
cu-later67
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Can't beat the rooms an breakfast. Staff is very friendly and helpful. This is our fourth stay at this inn and we will continue to stay here. A great value for your money. Breakfast selections are better than most. Close to shopping.

• Stayed April 2013
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments about our hotel! We appreciate the feedback! We look forward to your return.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family and I came to Kansas for a what was suppose to be a two day stay that turned out to be a four day stay because of the big snow storm they had. Though I was upset about not being to return home, on the flip side it was the best stay ever. Words can not explain the stay we had. the staff was great....beyond great. Because we couldn't get out in that bad storm. The staff gave us appetizers and soda. They had a nice variety to choose from and kept walking around talking to us making sure we were ok. They were very involved and concerned. The rooms were top notch. The housekeeper was great. The bed not only looked great but slept great as well. Also one more thing is we brought our pet dog with us and they were very friendly and excited to meet our 4 legged family member. Thank you so much Residence Inn and we will most definitely be back. You made this a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review!! We look forward to your return!!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I met in the lobby of this place and once a year we stay here because of the "memories" we had in a particular room!

Im not going to say which of course but its been 8 years now, so that is 8 stays.

This place is really clean, good for the kids, and has a swimming pool, hot tub, and is really close to our home and things to do. I would recommend it to anyone and my extended family stay's here during Christmas holidays.

Staff gives us a break on price too! Shhhh!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
What an awesome review of our property!! Thank YOU so much for these kind words. We definitely look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The friends and I stayed 1 night and thoroughly was impressed. This was the cleanest place I had stayed in, not a speck of dust in the room. We used the pool and spa and the exercise room as well. The breakfast buffet was excellent with much to choose from.
We have already planned another stay.

Room Tip: Lower suite was quiet and really nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your great review. We look forward to your return!!!

Been to Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe? Share your experiences!