“Almost the Perfect Place to Hang Your Hat” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
Vail, Arizona
“Almost the Perfect Place to Hang Your Hat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

It's pretty rare for me to write hotel reviews while I'm still at the hotel. For one thing, I haven't yet finished the stay and may discover some other issues worth mentioning (good or not-so-good). Or maybe the front desk folks will figure out who I am and zap me with a taser (just kidding, of course...uh, I think).

But let's get down to business. I'm in Kansas City by myself for two weeks for some company training. My first week was at the Crowne Plaza, which if you follow my reviews you'll see that I mostly shredded (sorry, Crowne Plaza, but I still think it was balanced). For the second week, I moved to the Residence Inn in Olathe and the difference is like night and day. Let's put it this way: for moving just a few miles down the road I've got a one bedroom mini-apartment with not only a real refrigerator but an entire kitchenette! It's clean, comfortable, and the next best thing to being home. The front desk folks are absolutely awesome and the lot of them deserve raises -- they're holding a bag for a colleague who's not arriving until Monday, found some extra hangers when I needed them, and are just downright friendly.

I desperately want to give the Residence Inn five stars. But I've got to restrain myself and remember that I try to write balanced reviews. One other thing to keep in mind -- for those of you who've read my other reviews know -- I almost always focus on the "big stuff". Too many reviewers get emotional and either praise a hotel like it's heaven on earth or totally trash it for the silliest and most trivial reasons.

Fortunately, there's only one reason why I can't give this Residence Inn five stars. It's the Internet service, which business travelers like me depend on for a lot of our work. No, I don't expect blazing speeds like I have at home but the Internet connectivity at this property is seriously underpowered and easily gets bogged down. Last night it was almost useless, probably because it was so heavily over-used it was running out of steam.

To make my criticism constructive (and since I'm a Cyber Security consultant by profession), I'll offer up some free advice that may help them solve the problem:

1. Your provider is CenturyLink and whatever speed they're providing you is simply not enough to support all the units in this complex. Very early this morning, when most everyone was still in bed, I ran a speed test and the result was only about 5mb download. Granted, that was through the wireless, we'll get to that in a moment.

2. Your wireless access points don't support Wireless-N and should be upgraded to b/g/n access points. Wireless-N is much more efficient and almost all laptops and wireless devices can use it these days.

3. Secure your connection with at least WPA and change the password once a week. You've almost certainly got bandwidth leeches -- there are condos and townhomes in very close proximity to your building and I'd bet a paycheck that some of the folks back there are unwelcome visitors on your wireless network, sucking bandwidth away from paying guests.

My company is headquartered in Lenexa and I'd love to stay here every time I come to town. Congratulations on a fine property, a great staff, and for the "almost five stars" review!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate all the information that we recieve back from our guests. We hope that you come back to visit us in the very near future!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
cu-later67
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Can't beat the rooms an breakfast. Staff is very friendly and helpful. This is our fourth stay at this inn and we will continue to stay here. A great value for your money. Breakfast selections are better than most. Close to shopping.

• Stayed April 2013
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments about our hotel! We appreciate the feedback! We look forward to your return.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family and I came to Kansas for a what was suppose to be a two day stay that turned out to be a four day stay because of the big snow storm they had. Though I was upset about not being to return home, on the flip side it was the best stay ever. Words can not explain the stay we had. the staff was great....beyond great. Because we couldn't get out in that bad storm. The staff gave us appetizers and soda. They had a nice variety to choose from and kept walking around talking to us making sure we were ok. They were very involved and concerned. The rooms were top notch. The housekeeper was great. The bed not only looked great but slept great as well. Also one more thing is we brought our pet dog with us and they were very friendly and excited to meet our 4 legged family member. Thank you so much Residence Inn and we will most definitely be back. You made this a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review!! We look forward to your return!!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I met in the lobby of this place and once a year we stay here because of the "memories" we had in a particular room!

Im not going to say which of course but its been 8 years now, so that is 8 stays.

This place is really clean, good for the kids, and has a swimming pool, hot tub, and is really close to our home and things to do. I would recommend it to anyone and my extended family stay's here during Christmas holidays.

Staff gives us a break on price too! Shhhh!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
What an awesome review of our property!! Thank YOU so much for these kind words. We definitely look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The friends and I stayed 1 night and thoroughly was impressed. This was the cleanest place I had stayed in, not a speck of dust in the room. We used the pool and spa and the exercise room as well. The breakfast buffet was excellent with much to choose from.
We have already planned another stay.

Room Tip: Lower suite was quiet and really nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your great review. We look forward to your return!!!
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed two nights for training at a local softwhere company. The staff could not have been nicer. The rooms were clean and the facility well maintained. The meal area was well supplied and the staff was careful to keep it that way.

• Stayed December 2012
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write such a nice review. We thank you as a staff!! Come back us and see us soon!!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Room was nice, clean and comfortable, however walls are thin could hear my neighbor snoring all night. Social hour is nice but could use a red wine - merlot or cab. Fireplace in my room was a nice touch. Especially since it was so cold

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback from your stay. We do like to take all comments and see what we can do to improve the experience of our hotel. Please let us know if you travel back through and stay with us. Thanks!!

Been to Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe? Share your experiences!