You added Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6451 E. Frontage Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE 15% TODAY!
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Scary! Dirty!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Don't let the exterior fool you! This place is in need of serious attention. First room we were in was horrifying. Non smoking room with a burn in the bed spread. Brown puddle of water....or something...in the kitchen area. Carpet was worn & raveling at the edges. We had no shower curtain. Mold on the bathtub tiles. The fridge seal around the door was moldy & falling apart. But the most distributing thing was what we discovered under the bed. The fabric that is generally attached on the underside of the box springs was hanging down and upon closer inspection we found it was covered in a considerable amount of petrified animal droppings (at least we assumed it was an animal). We immediately complained to the office. We were given another room, which was better, but still had a few issues (carpet was ripply, dirt on walls, picture was on the wall upside down). The clerk never even came to see the issues with the original room. Seemed very unconcerned. My husband called the corporate number to register a complaint. Waiting on a call back at this time. Oh...two last things...the police were in the parking lot & appeared to be looking for someone. And the wifi had a virus that corrupted my laptop so badly that I had to do a system recovery. In closing, I recommend you avoid this hotel of horrors at all costs.

• Stayed September 2012
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The pictures on the Internet is not what you get when at the suites. The ac was broke, bathroom sink stopped up and the toilet. There was mold under the bathroom sink. The room had a terrible smell. Overall the suite was a horrible mistake. I slept in my clothes that's how bad it was. The staff at the front desk was a complete fool and I don't think he knew his job. Please don't waste your money.

• Stayed July 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, August 20, 2012

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

Starkville, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here one night. The desk clerk was friendly and check-in was simple. He accommodated my location request (downstairs, non-smoking). There was a slightly loud party going on in the courtyard when I arrived, but there was no more noise after around 10 pm. The room was modest, but clean and without odor. No frills, but I definitely didn't expect any for an inexpensive hotel. I slept well overnight. When I went to check-out the next morning, no one was in the office for the 5 minutes I waited, so I left and forgot to call back to officially checkout. However, my credit card was charged appropriately, so no harm there.
This hotel is probably about the quality of a GOOD Motel 6, but also has kitchen facilities. I paid the same for it ($63) as I did for a NASTY hotel outside of St. Louis, so I thought it was a good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel . We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

It is my pleasure to respond to your concern about our front desk hours. I regret that we did not successfully communicate our front desk hours to you prior to your arrival. Our front desk operates between 7am and 11pm seven days/week. In the event that our guests need assistance during other hours, we always have on-staff overnight help that can be reached by phone.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Des Arc, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have been staying her for the last five months and the facility is very good. The office staff is competent and friendly, always ready and able to provide whatever we needed. Your manager, Hillary, is a real asset to the hotel ! The only problem we have had is probably an understaffed situation in the housekeeping department. The present staff is very good but can't seem to spread themselves thin enough for the number of rooms here. Again, those in the office and the maintenance staff are extremely competent and ready to please. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you for our experience. Lee and Janice Parker

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice.

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. I will be sure to relay your kind words to Hillary and the rest of our staff.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Great place to stay. Close to many things. Quiet. Had a bbq for everyone that stayed there. Staff was there for anything or any questions we had. And their kitchen was also beneficial.

• Stayed July 2012
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Kansas City - Shawnee Mission . Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Wichita, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Benders!, The Benders!, The Benders! have been staying at this hotel for for many years when we play in Kansas City. The front desk staff greats us by name and always takes care of us and checks to see that everything is ok. Rooms are always clean and well stocked. We call The Homestead our Kansas City Home on the road and don't even think of staying anywhere else. Located right by major highways it is a quick drive to any part of Kansas City.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
"I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Homestead Kansas City - Shawnee Mission . Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

My job transfered us to this area. So we figured since we had a job preference discount, why not. OMG!!! We booked for a month, were shown one room and sent to another. No housekeeping service, we had to wear shoes at all times to keep our feet from being black from the dirty carpet, our toilet ran constantly. There was a moldy smell, and the bed was horrible. We turned the mattress over and there was a blood stain. I called the gal at the front desk to complain and got a flippy attitude as if I was bothering her. The manager informed me through Emilee at the front desk that if we check out earlier, we will be billed and have to pay more than we already paid for this dump. The next day a guy Lewis arranged to have us moved to another room. This room was just as bad, but at least he was nicer about it. We moved twice more until at least the bed was okay, but in the meantime we encountered more rude behavior from not one but two front desk girls. The internet was off and instead of giving us a time frame of when we could expect service again. This gal Emilee tells me, "Well, I don't know what to tell you." Wow. I was expecting a package that I still haven't received. I went to the local post office to complain and was told that there have been numerous reports of missing mail for that location. There are other complaints but I will stop here. I went to our job contact person and requested this location be removed from their list, so that none of my co-workers have to endure what we have been through.

Room Tip: Homwestead Studio Suites Kansas City Airport If you are a long termer, this location is much better.