“Average hotel--clean, good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6451 E. Frontage Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Merriam
Starkville, Mississippi
“Average hotel--clean, good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here one night. The desk clerk was friendly and check-in was simple. He accommodated my location request (downstairs, non-smoking). There was a slightly loud party going on in the courtyard when I arrived, but there was no more noise after around 10 pm. The room was modest, but clean and without odor. No frills, but I definitely didn't expect any for an inexpensive hotel. I slept well overnight. When I went to check-out the next morning, no one was in the office for the 5 minutes I waited, so I left and forgot to call back to officially checkout. However, my credit card was charged appropriately, so no harm there.
This hotel is probably about the quality of a GOOD Motel 6, but also has kitchen facilities. I paid the same for it ($63) as I did for a NASTY hotel outside of St. Louis, so I thought it was a good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel . We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

It is my pleasure to respond to your concern about our front desk hours. I regret that we did not successfully communicate our front desk hours to you prior to your arrival. Our front desk operates between 7am and 11pm seven days/week. In the event that our guests need assistance during other hours, we always have on-staff overnight help that can be reached by phone.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Des Arc, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have been staying her for the last five months and the facility is very good. The office staff is competent and friendly, always ready and able to provide whatever we needed. Your manager, Hillary, is a real asset to the hotel ! The only problem we have had is probably an understaffed situation in the housekeeping department. The present staff is very good but can't seem to spread themselves thin enough for the number of rooms here. Again, those in the office and the maintenance staff are extremely competent and ready to please. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you for our experience. Lee and Janice Parker

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice.

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. I will be sure to relay your kind words to Hillary and the rest of our staff.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Great place to stay. Close to many things. Quiet. Had a bbq for everyone that stayed there. Staff was there for anything or any questions we had. And their kitchen was also beneficial.

• Stayed July 2012
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Kansas City - Shawnee Mission . Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Wichita, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Benders!, The Benders!, The Benders! have been staying at this hotel for for many years when we play in Kansas City. The front desk staff greats us by name and always takes care of us and checks to see that everything is ok. Rooms are always clean and well stocked. We call The Homestead our Kansas City Home on the road and don't even think of staying anywhere else. Located right by major highways it is a quick drive to any part of Kansas City.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
"I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Homestead Kansas City - Shawnee Mission . Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

My job transfered us to this area. So we figured since we had a job preference discount, why not. OMG!!! We booked for a month, were shown one room and sent to another. No housekeeping service, we had to wear shoes at all times to keep our feet from being black from the dirty carpet, our toilet ran constantly. There was a moldy smell, and the bed was horrible. We turned the mattress over and there was a blood stain. I called the gal at the front desk to complain and got a flippy attitude as if I was bothering her. The manager informed me through Emilee at the front desk that if we check out earlier, we will be billed and have to pay more than we already paid for this dump. The next day a guy Lewis arranged to have us moved to another room. This room was just as bad, but at least he was nicer about it. We moved twice more until at least the bed was okay, but in the meantime we encountered more rude behavior from not one but two front desk girls. The internet was off and instead of giving us a time frame of when we could expect service again. This gal Emilee tells me, "Well, I don't know what to tell you." Wow. I was expecting a package that I still haven't received. I went to the local post office to complain and was told that there have been numerous reports of missing mail for that location. There are other complaints but I will stop here. I went to our job contact person and requested this location be removed from their list, so that none of my co-workers have to endure what we have been through.

Room Tip: Homwestead Studio Suites Kansas City Airport If you are a long termer, this location is much better.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Kansas City - Shawnee Mission . Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Sedalia, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I arrived at the hotel at approx. 8 in the evening on October 16, 2011. The young man at the front desk was very polite. I was in the main building, on the "back side" of the hotel.
I had to pay for internet service. You know they rack in some major bucks for this

There was no parking behind the building, which meant lugging my suitcase behind and up the stairs. I'm in pretty good shape so that wasn't the problem. The problem was beside the building were two picnic tables where aprox. 8 men were setting visiting. The lighting was poor and being alone, I was a bit nervious about walking past them in the dark. I literally called my husband on my cell phone before getting out of the car telling him of the situation and that I wasn't "comfortable".

The room itself was what I expected for the price I paid on priceline($30). It wasn't "dirty" and there were no bugs as others have reported.

It was "chilly" out that night so I decided to turn on the furnace. BIG mistake, I immediately smelled smoke and within seconds the smoke detector in the room went off. So I had NO heat all night. Not only that, but I also had to shut the bathroom door as the toilet kept running all night long.
It was the worst nights sleep ever. I will not return!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The one time I book a hotel without checking TripAdvisor FIRST and I get stung. Live & learned that lesson. Won't have to repeat it. This HSS is worse than an OLD Days Inn .... not sure how it could be called a Homestead SS, which has been fine for us- until this one. Booked a double and arrived late, tired from driving 4+ hours after a full work day.

We open the door at 11pm to see 2 beds, in a SMALL room. One bed is typical, pillow top, the other is a FLAT, broken down (wires on the edge showing thru the comforter) children's height crashpad (not even a bed in hotel standards). NO pots to cook in the cabinets (it's a kitchette suite, suposedly), and bugs crawling in the kitchen floor.

We were horrified, but zapped, so we stayed the night and showered in the morning, then checked out. When I asked the manager if she was aware of the situation in our room, she answered "you mean the new bed?". My reply was yes, the bed situation. and her reply was "we didn't get the approval to replace BOTH beds at the same time. Would you like to see another room?"

After seeing the cigarette butts in front of the door mats down the hallway from our room, (it's supposed to be NO smoking), having NO elevator to the 2nd floor (thank goodness we only lugged 1 suitcase up) I declined.

We had planned an 11+ day stay in the area for work and usually are very happy with Homestead SS or Extended Stay America, but THIS ONE made us change to Candlewood Suites.

I should have known when I made the RSVP when I was greeted by a rude, obnoxious gal the rest of the experience would follow, but I like to give every one the benefit of the doubt.

Trip Advisor will be my FIRST reference before I make an RSVP again. This location needs to be sold off. It is so far below Homestead SS quality it isn't even good enough for an ESA.

Room Tip: Am sure they ALL are dirty
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission? Share your experiences!