“Always a great stay / Great front desk staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6451 E. Frontage Rd, Merriam, KS 66202 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Merriam
Wichita, Kansas, United States
“Always a great stay / Great front desk staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Benders!, The Benders!, The Benders! have been staying at this hotel for for many years when we play in Kansas City. The front desk staff greats us by name and always takes care of us and checks to see that everything is ok. Rooms are always clean and well stocked. We call The Homestead our Kansas City Home on the road and don't even think of staying anywhere else. Located right by major highways it is a quick drive to any part of Kansas City.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
"I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Homestead Kansas City - Shawnee Mission . Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

My job transfered us to this area. So we figured since we had a job preference discount, why not. OMG!!! We booked for a month, were shown one room and sent to another. No housekeeping service, we had to wear shoes at all times to keep our feet from being black from the dirty carpet, our toilet ran constantly. There was a moldy smell, and the bed was horrible. We turned the mattress over and there was a blood stain. I called the gal at the front desk to complain and got a flippy attitude as if I was bothering her. The manager informed me through Emilee at the front desk that if we check out earlier, we will be billed and have to pay more than we already paid for this dump. The next day a guy Lewis arranged to have us moved to another room. This room was just as bad, but at least he was nicer about it. We moved twice more until at least the bed was okay, but in the meantime we encountered more rude behavior from not one but two front desk girls. The internet was off and instead of giving us a time frame of when we could expect service again. This gal Emilee tells me, "Well, I don't know what to tell you." Wow. I was expecting a package that I still haven't received. I went to the local post office to complain and was told that there have been numerous reports of missing mail for that location. There are other complaints but I will stop here. I went to our job contact person and requested this location be removed from their list, so that none of my co-workers have to endure what we have been through.

Room Tip: Homwestead Studio Suites Kansas City Airport If you are a long termer, this location is much better.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Kansas City - Shawnee Mission . Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Sedalia, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I arrived at the hotel at approx. 8 in the evening on October 16, 2011. The young man at the front desk was very polite. I was in the main building, on the "back side" of the hotel.
I had to pay for internet service. You know they rack in some major bucks for this

There was no parking behind the building, which meant lugging my suitcase behind and up the stairs. I'm in pretty good shape so that wasn't the problem. The problem was beside the building were two picnic tables where aprox. 8 men were setting visiting. The lighting was poor and being alone, I was a bit nervious about walking past them in the dark. I literally called my husband on my cell phone before getting out of the car telling him of the situation and that I wasn't "comfortable".

The room itself was what I expected for the price I paid on priceline($30). It wasn't "dirty" and there were no bugs as others have reported.

It was "chilly" out that night so I decided to turn on the furnace. BIG mistake, I immediately smelled smoke and within seconds the smoke detector in the room went off. So I had NO heat all night. Not only that, but I also had to shut the bathroom door as the toilet kept running all night long.
It was the worst nights sleep ever. I will not return!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The one time I book a hotel without checking TripAdvisor FIRST and I get stung. Live & learned that lesson. Won't have to repeat it. This HSS is worse than an OLD Days Inn .... not sure how it could be called a Homestead SS, which has been fine for us- until this one. Booked a double and arrived late, tired from driving 4+ hours after a full work day.

We open the door at 11pm to see 2 beds, in a SMALL room. One bed is typical, pillow top, the other is a FLAT, broken down (wires on the edge showing thru the comforter) children's height crashpad (not even a bed in hotel standards). NO pots to cook in the cabinets (it's a kitchette suite, suposedly), and bugs crawling in the kitchen floor.

We were horrified, but zapped, so we stayed the night and showered in the morning, then checked out. When I asked the manager if she was aware of the situation in our room, she answered "you mean the new bed?". My reply was yes, the bed situation. and her reply was "we didn't get the approval to replace BOTH beds at the same time. Would you like to see another room?"

After seeing the cigarette butts in front of the door mats down the hallway from our room, (it's supposed to be NO smoking), having NO elevator to the 2nd floor (thank goodness we only lugged 1 suitcase up) I declined.

We had planned an 11+ day stay in the area for work and usually are very happy with Homestead SS or Extended Stay America, but THIS ONE made us change to Candlewood Suites.

I should have known when I made the RSVP when I was greeted by a rude, obnoxious gal the rest of the experience would follow, but I like to give every one the benefit of the doubt.

Trip Advisor will be my FIRST reference before I make an RSVP again. This location needs to be sold off. It is so far below Homestead SS quality it isn't even good enough for an ESA.

Room Tip: Am sure they ALL are dirty
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

All of the hotels were booked in downtown KC so I reserved lodging at this Homestead for a one week business trip. After unpacking and shopping for minimal grocery items for the week the refrigerator leaked all over the floor. I changed rooms and that refrigerator leaked as well. You can feel the springs through the mattress, the curtains are frayed and the bottoms of my bare feet while walking on the carpet showed dirt from the floor. The staff is friendly enough but this is a bare minimum type of lodging that is noisy from the interstate nearby. It is however conventiently located to downtown Kansas City, MO and Overland Park, KS.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much from this hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I've read many reviews about this property, and many of them are just plain horrible. But having been there for a few weeks now, I can tell you that those reviews are largely wrong. Yes, this is a no-frills extended stay hotel, its not the Ritz-Carlton. But its very clean, safe, and comfortable. It has a kitchenette, good quality on-site laundry, and guests get to use the Gold's Gym next door for free.

The staff at this property is one of the nicest, most accommodating groups of people at any hotel I've stayed at, and I've stayed at far too many hotels over the years. When I had a maintenance issue, it got fixed promptly. The staff has been nothing but friendly and helpful, and you often don't see that kind of attitude at full service hotels.

This property is what it is, an inexpensive extended stay motel. But it does what it does very well and the experience has been very positive. If you want lots of amenities, this might not be the place for you. But if you want a clean, functional place to live or stay for a while, I'm not sure you can do better in this price range.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

The heater was broken so it blew air constantly. If I turned it up I woke up in the middle of the night swealtering so I would get up to turn it down and woke up freezing. The internet (that they make you pay extra for - and extra on top of that if you want "good" internet) was crap and was at 20% packet loss the whole time we were there. The toilet didn't flush right, the phone wouldn't let us call out saying that we weren't in a room registered to anyone, but the real kicker was when I returned to our room late at night with my 5 year old daughter to find our door was open and curtains had been drawn back. We had not requested maid service, the room was not cleaned, and we left the room after 5 pm. There was no note saying maintenance had been there. So we got our cat (who was freaking out - not a normal trait) and left. Upon telling the girl in the office what had happened, she replied with "Well, did you tell us you have a cat? 'Cause there's an extra charge for animals." Needless to say, this was a horrible experience. If you want a room where nothing works and random people may pop up in your room, this is the hotel for you.
I would like to note that the one good thing about this hotel was a girl in the office named Rachel who was helpful when I talked to her about the heat issue. Thanks Rachel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission? Share your experiences!