“Nice Rooms, Average Buffet, Marginal Breathing Atmosphere, and Poor Slot Payouts” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Prairie Band Casino & Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mayetta
Prairie Band Casino & Resort
12305 150th Road, Mayetta, KS 66509 (Formerly Harrah's)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Mayetta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

If you were merely going here to stay in the rooms at Prairie Band, thw rooms are nice and I could recommend one if you were receiving a discounted price. Otherwise I would simply stay in Topeka. We ate in the buffet several times, and it is very average both in the selection of foods and food taste (for example, compared to Kansas Star Casino.Buffet we had just eaten at the day before). Much better places to eat in Topeka. The smell of smoke is very obvious throughout the casino, and your clothes will reek of smoke after a short while (unlike in several smoke free South Dakota casinos we recently visited). Finally if you are coming to play slots I would say forget it. They have an extremely poor payout, and even if you get a bonus don't expect much. I got several that provided very poor returns, and, in fact on one gave me $0. Really Prairie Band you can do better. If you want a nice trip combining a stay at a casino for slot playing I would try a trip to South Dakota. We recently went there and played at four different casinos in Deadwood, and saw many more significant jackpots ($300-2000, including three $500+ we won) given to slots players than we ever have seen at casinos in Kansas, including Prairie Band. Seems all the casinos in Kansas that we have visited simply aren't interested in entertaining visitors, but only want to take their money. We don't mind losing money on slots if we can only play for a while, but we haven't been able to do that in Kansas - too bad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Merritt Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Although our reason for being in Mayetta wasn't for leisure we found the Prarie Band Casino and Resort very accommodating. The price paid was equivalent to similar hotels in Topeka although there were no amenities. The first night we were unable to secure a non-smoking room and the smoking room given wasn't tolerable so luckily we were able to switch over the following day for the remainder of our stay. The day shift manager, Gary, was very kind and helpful as was the rest of the staff we interacted with. The rooms were clean and well appointed with modern furnishings. The food selection was limited to three restaurants, the food in the buffet was very good and reasonable for lunch. The service was a bit strained to accommodate our group of 5, we waited quite a while. We didn't try the buffet for dinner and the price was variable so can't recommend either way, it seemed a bit high priced on certain nights. The Buffalo Grill was average with average to high price for value. The steak house pricing was sky high, so we didn't try it. The pricing compared to five star steak houses around the country so without information on their quality we weren't ready to "shoot the dice" and take the chance. The casino was busy at night with lots of slots and good selection of table games. After living years in NV, I'm not big on gambling. The Indian Tribe that runs this establishment is well known in the community as being very generous and having a big and positive impact, so why not give them a shot!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This casino has three restaurants plus the hotel. The food is great and not very expensive.
It also has a huge rv park and that is the main reason I stayed here for a week. The price only cost 10 dollars a night with pass port america discount.
The smoke is bad getting into the restaurants but they are smoke free. I would recommend this place for anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PLATTSMOUTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

If you join the free slot club; you get $25 of free slot money.
The is a wide choice of machines.
The staff we came in contact with was very friendly.
This is the first time we have visited a casino and not smelled like smoke the following day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Goddard, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Prairie Band Resort is one of the most friendly places we have ever visited. Every worker seems determined to please guests and no request is too large or small to fulfill. Food at the buffet is very tasty with lots of choices and the cost is about average for casino buffets. Slots are fun, we observed several good hits, but like all casinos there are more losers than winners! Nice golf course, but we did not play. No exercise room; however, walking outside is an option on service roads with very little traffic. Not a great place for kids, but they do accommodate kids and have pack and plays for very small children.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness center, recommend first floor. Other floors are fine, but with a first...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I along with two friends of ours went to the Prairie Band Casino and Hotel and stayed two nights over the weekend of July 26th and 27th of 2013. We had been comp'd for two rooms and dinner at the Three Fires Steakhouse. We had been com'd due to a problem that came up between my wife and I and Prairie Band Casino from before. I had tried to resolve the problem by contacting the person who was in charge of this by leaving two emails, and two left messages on that persons work phone number. This person never tried to contact me and claims never received anything. After giving a week for a response, I was so mad that I went under the Potawatomi Nations website. There, they had a way of contacting someone or redirecting you email to someone who could help you with a comment, remarks problems, etc. I was refered to Gina Hoffman (manager) and within a couple of hours, she had called me try and resolve my problem. Not only did she resolve my problem, but she comp'd us with two free nights stay and dinner at the Three Fires Restuarant. She must have apologised to me a half dozen times.Let's see a local Kansas City casino do something like that. They just want your money and don't want to be bothered by you. I wish to think Gina Hoffman and the person from the Potawatomi person who refered me to Gina. This shows you how much the Potawtomi people view themselves and their casino towards the people who come to there casino. My wife and I really enjoy going to Prairie Band Casino more then any casino/hotel in K.C. The people are friendly and courtesous, the rooms are newly remodeled and nice and clean, the buffet and the Three Fires Steakhouse are GREAT! The casino itself is clean, not a lot of lingering smoke and they have the newest of slot machines, and are as loose as any in K.C. I would suggest a lot more people should try out Prairie Band Casino and Hotel just so they can compare it with the ones in K.C. and they may be surprise with what they see. From K.C. it is a short one hour and 50 minutes and is a nice day or two getaway from K.C. Again, thank you to Gina Hoffman and the Potawatomi people (Nation). --Mike and Cindy

Room Tip: Try and get room away from elavators and vending/ice machines. Less noice as the staff are always bu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Wichita, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I drove up to stay at the Resort and Casino and play golf at Firekeeper Golf course. The pro shop staff was exceedingly friendly and helpful as were the grounds staff on the course. We had someone come by on a cart to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and asked if we had any questions. Top service from pro shop, grounds staff, and grill staff. We can't wait to return. The course was in great shape. Many tees to accommodate all levels. Great bent grass fairways and greens in a fun and scenic layout. When we arrived at the hotel/casino to pick up our golf voucher the front desk attendant asked what our tee time was and informed us that check-in was not until 4pm but she would do her best to have a room ready for us when we returned around 1:30 or so. When we returned from golf the room was ready! The room was furnished with newer looking cabinets and decor, the tables and chairs were new. Room was clean and fresh. We ate the Steak house, service and food was outstanding. The casino staff was helpful, the games readily available (on a Wednesday evening) and we enjoyed every part of our stay. Ready to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Prairie Band Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!