“Very outdated hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Lenexa
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very outdated hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Very outdated hotel, in desperate need of serious restoration. Rooms have a musky smell to them, TV sets are very old (large CRT type). Bathroom is small and minimally equipped. Wallpaper is peeling in many places. Air conditioner is so loud that you can not run it during the night and sleep at the same time. I tried sleeping without it on, but the room becomes warm so quickly it is very difficult.

Was placed on the 2nd floor of the hotel, but there was no lift, so I had to carry my luggage up stairs (wasn't very welcome after a long day of travel).

Hotel gym is very minimally equipped, and the machines are very old. Pool is in the main atrium area around reception (very strange design), so the entire reception atrium smells of chlorine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Christopher B:

I want to thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments from your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that we had caused you.

We have completed 3 phases of our renovation and still have more to do which will resovle some of the issues that you had encountered such as wallpaper, TV's, fitness equipment etc. I have also shared your comments with our company and I can assure you that they are focused on completing the remainder of this renovation.

Again, thank you for sharing with us your comments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Jerry Albert, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Overland Park in Lenexa Kansas this past weekend. Our nephew and his fiancee got married in the Kansas City area and this hotel was central to everything they had planned. I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival after some rather negative reviews. The hotel was clean, spacious, and had everything we needed. The room was quite comfortable (Sleep Number Bed), and offered the usual accommodations. Nothing fancy, but the basics were all there. Housekeeping was as discreet as could be and no matter what time of day we returned, our room was always made up. The negatives: VERY small bathroom. We were only there for 3 nights, so it didn't matter all that much. But for a longer stay I would definitely want more space. The bar in the lobby - while the service was super friendly, the drinks were watered down and we were served an undercooked chicken dish. They couldn't have been more accommodating and did not charge us for any of the meals we ordered (2 out of 4 dishes were the chicken dishes). Overall this was a very nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear GC2010:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your comments from your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I was excited to hear that you thought that the hotel was clean, spacious and had everything that you needed. Some of our guests have said this hotel is one of Kansas City's Best Kept Secrets. I know our staff takes pride in making sure our guests have a great experience.

I have shared your comments to our F & B Director and I can assure he will look into what happened with us providing undercooked chicken and make sure our staff follows procedures.

Again, thank you for your comments and wish you a great year.

Kansas City, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

we've been going to the Crowne Plaza every year for the past 5 years on New Years Eve they have so much fun its very family oriented. There are four blow ups there's a DJ for the kids most importenly indoor pool, you can bring in your own food and just drink and socialize with fiends and family. The the price includes an extended late check out and a nice complementary breakfast....

• Stayed December 2012
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Angela S:

WOW, thank you so much for letting us know what you think of our New Years Eve party. What a great time it is to share our hotel with families that enjoy a safe place to have fun. We look forward to putting this on again.

Jerry K. Albert
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with the families of 5 youth baseball teams. We were not the only teams staying here over Memorial Day weekend. From our perspective we were treated as second class citizens, since they gave us a discount. They set up breakfast, a limited selection, in a separate room which promptly ended at 9:30. Pool was promptly closed at 10pm by the hotel turning out the lights. As other reviews have said, no fridge(unless you pay to have it delivered to your room), the internet was slow at best, and bathrooms were small. We didn't have a Sleep Number bed but others that did were not impressed. I think we paid an appropriate amount for what we got but wouldn't stay here again with kids. One last note, staff at the front desk seemed annoyed that an ice machine was out, because in her words "people keep filling their coolers". Hmmm, if we had fridges maybe we wouldn't need ice for coolers...

Room Tip: There are areas designated as "quiet" which are hallways closed off from pool area.
Dear jolfitz:

I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. We appreciate comments from our guest and we take them very seriously. I first of all want to apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

I am so sorry if you felt we treated you like second class citizens. Our staff works very hard on Customer Service and I can assure you that they appreciate the business that you provide our hotel.

All groups that we work with have different packages set up for them based on rates that have been approved. Unfortunately, we could not provide a full breakfast for your group. We always provide a separate area for the team due to the amount of guests that are associated with the group.

Our hotel features an Atrium that has many guest rooms that open to this area. We provide these rooms to all guests including those that are not part of the sports teams. Our hours of operation in the Atrium have been in place for years. As part of our procedures, we lower our lights in the Atrium to let our guest know that we are closing the Atrium area. Based upon availability, we provided banquet rooms for the teams to congregate in for those that are not ready to sleep as we did this weekend.

The sleep number beds have been enjoyed by many guests. Although, they can be a challenge at times with trying to find out what number is best for the guests. The ice machines that we have at the hotel are not able to keep up with the demand of filling coolers. We did fail to provide the proper signage on our ice machines to direct those guests with coolers to the restaurant to have them filled. I can assure you we will make sure that those signs are in place on our next big weekend.

I am very grateful that you took the time to let me know how we did during your stay. I was disappointed to hear that your stay was not a pleasant as it could have been. I do again apologize for the inconvenience that we had caused you and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Regards,

Jerry K. Albert
Ocean Ridge, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked a room at the Overland Park Crowne Plaza for a wedding in Olathe. When my wife tried to make the original reservation she had met with some difficulty. When we arrived I realized the rate we had been charged when making the reservation was much higher than the rate we could have gotten online that day. I asked the manager on duty, Paula Jarrosak, to help me. Paula was extremely patient and kind and gave me the much lower rate. I'm grateful that this hotel has employees like Paula.Paula also gave me a room all the way at the end of a quiet hall which was much appreciated as the hotel was full of teen aged baseball and softball teams. The teams were great but kids can be loud and these kids weren't much different. I hope that the hotel upper management recognizes that the front desk staff I worked with goes above and beyond with their customer service.The room was satisfactory and while we didn't use any of the amenities they seemed very nice.

Dear Jay M:

Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize Paula for going out of her way to make sure your stay was pleasant. Our staff works very hard on Customer Service and with your comments such as this only helps with supporting our efforts.

Again, we appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again.

Safe Travels,

Goddard, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am giving a poor review based on a combination of issues during this hotel stay. These issues were not just isolated to my family but shared buy other families traveling with us.

1. We were supposed to have two double beds, but we ended up with a king and an air mattress. It was a nice air mattress, but it was still an air mattress! We called the front desk and were told that that the hotel had over booked the doubles due to all the teams staying there and this was all they had.
2. An old tube tv! We could not believe that any hotel in the KC area would not have flat panel TVs. It is not that we are TV snobs. The problem is that these old TVs do not have the jacks necessary for the game systems brought to entertain siblings and pass the time during breaks and rain delays. To top it off, as we were watching the tv, it started to get fuzzy and then all the way to snow. It did come back on, eventually.
3. No fan in the bathroom.
4. No refrigerator in the room. I know that I could have requested one. However I was pretty sure if they ran out of beds, they were not going to have a fridge available. (plus it was a convenience for us and probably a necessity for others)
5. Ice machine not working on our floor. Maybe normally not a huge issue. But the hotel is overbooked with teams. That equals coolers, ice packs and water jugs. Needless to say, the other ice machines were out of ice several times.
6. Breakfast. Part of our team rate included the option of paying extra per night to include breakfast, which we did because we wanted the kids to have a good hardy breakfast before their games. However, it was not the same breakfast offered to the other hotel guests as we thought. It was a smaller "sports teams only" version. The first morning was the standard basics: eggs, sausage links, pastries, bagels (with 1 standard 2 slot toaster!!), fruit, cold cereal, milk, juice, etc. It got worse day two: eggs, cold rubbery pancakes, everything else was about the same, minus the cereal they ran out of. Day three, the worst! (So bad that a few of us went to McDonalds instead) Same cold rubbery pancakes with potatoes (which they ran out of). Everything else about the same except now they are down to 2 of the 4 cereals. So for 2 out of 3 breakfasts there was not even a meat offered. Not at all what any of us expected!

Two bright spots of the stay:
The staff were as accommodating as they could be given some of the challenges.
The rooms, while small and a bit outdated, were clean.

So, overall it was just a bad experience. We had planned on staying here for future tournaments but we will definitely be looking for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear jhkfan:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your comments about your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel KC-OP. We appreciate your business and take your comments very seriously. I first of all want to apologize for any inconvenience that we caused you. I would like to take a moment and respond to each of your comments that you provided us.

1. We set up blocks of rooms that have both 2 double beds and kings with aero beds with each group. We do our best to make sure that those that book the initial group block for the team are made aware of the room situation. We do this to make sure we can keep all the teams together so that they are not spread out all over the hotel.

2. We began replacing TV's in our guest rooms this year to 32" flat screens. We still have several older TV's that we are planning on replacing in the near future. I am not sure if you had informed our manager on duty about your TV not working properly. We would have been more than happy to provide you with a different one. We also have box units that we could have attached to the TV's so that games could have been played.

3. Our bathroom vents are located underneath our vanities. After checking our vent fans we found that 3 were not functioning so we have since replaced them.

4. You are right; we do not offer Refrigerators in our rooms. We do have several available for use upon request.

5. Our ice machines are not equipped to accommodate many coolers which can be an inconvenience. We had additional staff available at the desk that would have been able to help you with the filling of coolers out of our restaurant and bar upon request.

6. Breakfast is always set up in a separate area to accommodate the amount of guests that need to eat in a hurry. We do our best to keep the rates as low as possible and in order to do that we have to limit our breakfast selections. We do our best to change the items offered each day. As far as your other comments about your food experience, I can assure you after my conversation with our staff those items such as cold food, rubbery pancakes etc will not happen again.

Again, please accept my apologies and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Vail, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Once again, Mr. Diesel is going to have to try to rescue the unwitting from the clutches of those who think that the Crowne Plaza Overland Park is the next best thing to the Trump Tower, or those who think it's a dive. I write my reviews unemotionally, with honesty, and I'll never trash a place unless it absolutely deserves it and I can back it up.

Let's start with the good things. This isn't an uncomfortable place to stay. There's no mold dripping from the walls, the bathroom fixtures are clean, the hallways and the lobby are presentable. The staff is friendly and I never experienced one bad moment in the week I stayed at this hotel.

So why did I give it an "average" rating? Because that's exactly what this hotel is -- average, although in some ways a little bit below average. Let's consider what's customary these days in hotels: refrigerators, microwaves, and Internet. I did get a refrigerator in my room, but as if it was1985 all over again I had to ask for it and some overworked maintenance guy had to deliver it and plug it in. I recently stayed at a Motel 6 in the backwater of Texas and even they had a microwave and refrigerator in the rooms. And yes, there's no microwave in the room -- you've got to go down to the lobby and use the one there. Seriously, folks? You're charging WHAT for a room and there's not even a microwave?

Internet service for me is absolutely critical. It's how I submit my expense reports and time cards. It's how I communicate with my family when I'm on the road. I'm sorry to say that the Internet service at the Crowne Plaza is nothing short of astoundingly poor. Let's explore the reasons why: first of all, in order to even use the service you've got to fire up a web browser and wait and interminably long time for it to bring up a special page where you type in a password. Once you type in the password, you're driven nuts by advertising and click-here-click-there by whoever is providing this mess of an Internet service. And once you're connected, you've got to close all the extra browsers that were opened in the process and clean up the desktop. And don't even THINK about using Firefox -- that will get you nowhere. If you want to initialize the access here you've got to run up Internet Explorer. Oh, but wait -- we haven't even scratched the surface yet -- you can be using the Internet for some random length of time and then it resets on you and you've got to go through the whole outrageous exercise all over again. This morning I was desperately trying to get some reports done before heading off to work, and the connectivity was so poor that I gave up. And no, it's not my computer and I'm a network engineer by trade. The signal is strong and there's no reason for this sort of nonsense.

So, in a nutshell, here's the scoop about this hotel. It's not a terrible place to stay. It's mostly clean, a bit on the outdated side, the people who work here are friendly and attentive. The problem is that it's maybe worth about half what they charge (at best), and in some situations you might be better off at a Motel 6 -- at least you'd get a microwave and refrigerator.

Honesty, folks, honesty. I love praising places but the Crowne Plaza Overland Park is behind the times. Considerably. You won't be uncomfortable here, but you'll be back in the 1980s.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Mr. Diesel:

I want to let you know that we appreciate your comments about our hotel. We look forward to what our guests have to share with us. This only helps us to improve on areas that we need to strengthen.

It gives me great pleasure to hear that our staff was friendly, hotel is clean and that you did not experience one bad moment at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I look forward to sharing these comments to our associates in our next Celebrate Service meeting.

Unfortunately, you are right, we do not offer any refrigerators and microwaves in our guestrooms but we have refrigerators available for rent. There has been discussion on this subject but no decision has been made at this time.

As far as the internet, we have just completed an upgrade for additional bandwidth to help with speed and to handle the additional guests that are loging on. We also are working with our provider to limit the amount of advertsing that they have on our site. We take your comments very seriously and I can assure you that we will do our best to improve our services.

Mr. Diesel, we do appreciate your business and we hope that on your next trip to Kansas City that you will give us another opporunity to regain your confidence in us.

Regards,

Jerry Albert

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!