“Hotel was BETTER than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Lenexa
Omaha, Nebraska
“Hotel was BETTER than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I have to be honest and say I wasnt looking forward to our stay at this hotel (based on the reviews from this website.) But since we traveled with a girls soccer team, I booked with the group and kept quiet. This hotel exceeded my expectations! The front desk staff were very polite and friendly...the hotel including the rooms were very clean...and i thought it had a great set up with most the rooms as poolside. I did bring a fan to help drown out any hall noise which helped, and I must admit the free breafast was disappointing with very little to offer. If you can get past these little things including the dated decor and the small bathroom this is a great hotel and very kid friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a non pool side room if you are looking for peace and quiet!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Desloge, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed here as part of a family trip for a volleyball tournament. When we arrived, the person at the front d3sk tried telling me how to get to our room (room # 840). But it didn't make sense to me because he told us to go outside and come in the outside enterance. Well the first thing that caught me as 'odd' when we headed for our room was the fact that there were only 4 floors, so how are we in room 840? Well, there is another 'wing' to this building that is only accessable from the outside. Rooms 700-842 are in this other wing. Well our room overlooked the indoor pool and lobby area, but we didn't have access to it without going back outside and in a side door. Just a very weird layout.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, but not what I would consider up to "Crown Plaza" standards. Nothing wrong with it, it was just a little old and dated. If you would have told me it was a Holiday Inn and it was 1990, I would say it is a great place to stay. But, don't get me wrong, the room is comfortable and clean and so is the bathroom. The shower had plenty of hot water. The thermostat was even a little more advances than I expected. It was just a remote control. Kinda cool.

Final thought, if you have to pay more that about $75 for this room, you should probably shop elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear semoguy:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments from your stay.

Yes, I can agree with you on the layout of the room numbers that were set up for this hotel. The 4 story hotel was added in the 80's and was built to add an addtional 2 more floors on top for future planning which would be the 500 and 600 rooms. This is why the 2 story building was numbered with 700 and 800 numbers. I will work with the Desk staff to help with better directions in hopes to minimize the confusion to our guests.

I am pleased with your comments on how clean and comfortable the hotel is. I do have a great staff that takes pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. The hotel has recently went through renovation over the past couple of years. In 2012 we are anticipating to start on our next phase of the hotel that will update the restaurant, lounge, meeting facilities, lobby area, etc. This will defintiely enhance our guests expectations. We as a team are very excited for the changes we will see.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is my second time staying at a Crowne Plaza and also second time being disappointed at one. It's clear that the decor, furnishings, layout of the building, etc. is from an old Holiday Inn Hotel - like the Holidome kind where the rooms surround the play area in the center. The only nice things here are the Select Comfort beds, Speakman shower head, and the staff. Everything else is pretty much sub-par for today's standards.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Huberm:

First of all I want to thank you for being a repeat customer of the Crowne Plaza Hotel KC-OP. We appreciate your business.

I also want to thank you for the comments that you have shared with us about our hotel. I am very pleased to read that you were happy with our staff and you enjoyed the sleep number beds and the Speakman Showerhead. I am very lucky to have such a great staff that takes customer service the the next level.

Our facility has been recently renovated with more work to come in 2012. We will begin our next phase of renovation soon which will include the restaurant, lounge, lobby area, meeting facilities, etc and will give us that new standard that our guest deserve in today's times.

Agian I want to thank you for your business and for your comments. It is greatly appreciated.

Fort Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My first problems were with my reservation. I reserved a room with 2 double beds. When I arrived, they had put me in a king room. When I mentioned that I had reserved 2 double beds, they moved me to another room. I am concerned that I did not get the same quality room that I would have had. I am a platinum member, and he moved me to the first floor. At most IHG hotels, I have noticed that platinum members are put on a better floor, and it is always the higher floors. If all of the rooms are like this, the bathrooms are extremely cramped. You can barely open the bathroom door without hitting the toilet. There was not enough room for more than one person to be in there. In addition, you had to close the closet door if you wanted to open the hotel room door. That's not so bad, but it is poor design. (see my pictures) Also, one of the beds was not working. It was a Sleep Number bed, but it was very soft and would not change its firmness when I changed the setting. It seems like it might have had a leak in it. I left a message with the hotel staff about this, but no one called me back. I also had a horrible experience in the bar. When I noticed that it had taken a long time for my meal to arrive, I finally asked what happened. The bartender said that he had forgotten to put my order in. As payment for my trouble, he took $5 off of my meal. It's hard for me to believe that they don't think my time is worth more than $5. I sent messages to the hotel and IHG 4 months ago about these things, but no one has addressed these concerns. I liked the variety of options at the breakfast buffet, but I would not say that the flavor was any better than average. The workout room wasn't spectacular, but it did have more options than average. On the good side, I really liked the shower head and the toiletries. Random things to consider. It did seem difficult getting to/from the hotel. I don't know if it was just the direction that I was headed, but I felt like I was always driving around the block to get across the street. The hotel does a lot of business with tour buses. It didn't really inconvenience me. There were more people at breakfast on certain days, but everything worked out. Also, they don't have much of a restaurant. There's a large seating area, but that's used for breakfast and large groups. If you want to eat dinner, you have to eat in the smaller bar area and wait for the bartenders to serve you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
jkalbert, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear mrjanto:

Thank you for taking the time to send me your comments from your stay in December. I want to apologize for the inconveniece that you experienced here at the hotel. Our rooms at this hotel were built in the early 80's to a standard that was set many years ago. Our rooms have recently been updated with new decor with more on the way. Our Priority Club members are very important to us. I do see that you are are a Platinum member which if rooms were avaialble we could have upgraded you to a suite. Unfortunately, we only have 6 rooms in our hotel that we can offer to our members. Our hotel has several sleep number beds throughout the facility. For these beds we have set up a maintenance program to make sure we are checking and repairing these beds on a set schedule. It is obvious we missed your room on our shedule and I can assure you we will reveiw and make any necessary changes to our procedures.

I have reveiwed your comments to our Food and Beverage Director about your experience in this department. I know for sure that he has addressed this issue with those involved and since your stay we have new employees that have helped us set a new standard in service and quality. In your notes you mentioned that you sent over to us and IHG some of your concerns, but unfortunately I had not seen them. We take our guests comments very seriously and they could have been misplaced and not made it to my Guest Service Managers desk.

In 2012, we are expected more renovations to take place which will include new restaurant, lounge, lobby area, etc. These items will not only give us a new look but will give us more optins for our guests to have a much greater experience at our hotel.

Mrjanto, I want to assure you that we strive to make sure that everyone has a comfrotable and pleasnt stay with us. It is obviuous we dropped the ball during your visit. Again please accept our apologizes.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I booked through a discount service so I was able to get a great rate for a very nice hotel. This is the first time I've stayed in the hotel, but I would probably stay again. The rooms where nice, a little out of date. Very clean and comfortable. Some great ammenities for the kids.

I was not impressed with their food for the price, parking was terrible because they had a wedding or something going on in one of their convention rooms. Finding our room was also a trip, I didn't care for the layout or directions on how to find the room.

If your looking solely for a room to stay and let the kids play, this is probably the place. Just get their early!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear iowafreak:
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments outlining your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel KC-OP. I was happy to hear that you felt that our hotel was very clean, rooms were nice and that we had great amenities for the kids. I am very proud and fortunate to have a such a great housekeeping staff at our hotel. As I read further you mentioned that you were not happy with the food and the parking issues that you encountered during your stay., I want to apologize for the inconveniece that you encountered. I wil send you a private note to hopefully receive more direct comments on how the food was not acceptable., This will ensure that I can get to the bottom of your comments. As far as the parking, I agree. I can assure you that we will not have that size of an event in our hotel during our peak weekends. Again thanks for taking the time to give us your comments on your stay. We wish you the best in all your travels.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with kids. The hotel was in great shape, reasonably priced, and everyone was friendly. Very close the American Girl store and not too far from Kansas City, MO. The pool was big enough and the kids had a blast. Plenty of room for our group to hang out in the atrium and watch March Madness while enjoying our dinner.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
jkalbert, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear jroed:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. It really helps us to know our emphasis on customer service is coming through in a positive way. I look forward to your next visit to our area. Please don't hestate to stop by and say hi while you are here.

Safe Travels!!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is in a good location; near the freeway, not far from great places to eat and shop.
Hotel personnel were very cheerful and helpful in all matters. The room was very clean and the beds - sleep comfort- were the best we have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.
Also liked the indoor pool!
I had forgotten an item, returned the following day and was able to retrieve it without any difficulty.
Will definitely stay there again should we need to be in the state of Kansas for any overnights.

Room Tip: Just make a request, they will do their best to accomodate.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear delectible:

Wow, thank you for letting us know how pleased you were during your stay. I will look forward to sharing these comments with those departments that are involved. This is a great moral booster for those that work hard to please our guests. Thanks again so much.

Jerry K. Albert

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!