“Loved the Jazz, just not the food!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaslight Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 88 restaurants in Leawood
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 135th & Nall Ave
Description: World-Class Fine Dining and World-Class Live Entertainment in casual elegance. No pretensions, just elegant food and wine in a comfortable atmosphere. Enjoy our classic American cuisine, served with an European flair in our main dining room, out on the patio or while listening to live jazz in the Back Room with Lynn Zimmer and the Jazz Band. We serve Aged Black Angus and Prime Steaks, Flight Fresh Seafood, and many Chef Jeremy inspired culinary creations daily. Full bar service and Happy Hour discounts daily. Private dining rooms and banquet rooms for large or intimate gatherings. Choose from more than 200 wines from our Wine Spectator award winning wine list.
Overland Park, Kansas
“Loved the Jazz, just not the food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We went to the Gaslight Grill last week for the first time. Had a few cocktails in the bar and moved to the back room to listen to the wonderful jazz band while having dinner. The owner is great, he came up to us a couple times, couldn't be any nicer.
The filets just weren't melt in your mouth wonderful and didn't have any seasoning, so they were bland. The shrimp risotto wasn't anything to write home about either. We were very disappointed because we really wanted to like this place!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
GaslightGrill, Owner at Gaslight Grill, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback & for the compliment about the entertainment. However, we are also disappointed to learn that your dishes we not as enjoyable as you had hoped. We are confident in saying that our dishes are normally loaded with flavor and we constantly receive compliments on our steaks. That said, it is obvious that something was amiss with your dishes & your comments will be shared with our kitchen staff. Please accept our apologies for this & we hope that you reconsider your stance to give us another chance to win you over. Sincerely, Fred.

76% Recommend
Lenexa, Kansas
“Elegant and mellow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our anniversary celebration was perfect at this restaurant. We were greeted with congratulations on arrival and shiny heart sprinkles on the tablecloth. Both the host and the waiter were congenial and friendly, but not intrusive. Live jazz provided a nice mellow background to the meal. The Chateaubriand dinner for two was excellent - beef perfectly cooked and the creamed spinach on portabello mushroom cap very tasty. The salads were crisp and cold, not remarkable but good Caesars. Belgian chocolate cake, moist and rich rounded out the meal. We would definitely return and recommend it to others, especially for a nice occasion.

GaslightGrill, Owner at Gaslight Grill, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
We are so happy you chose the Gaslight Grill to celebrate your anniversary! We love that we could help make your special day even more enjoyable. Your kind words & recommendation are very much appreciated, too. Come back and see us anytime! Sincerely, Fred.
Midwest
“Great Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Recently tried the brunch at Gaslight and found the food, service, and overall atmosphere to be excellent.

Would definitely recommend the brunch to others and I am planning on returning again in the very near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
GaslightGrill, Owner at Gaslight Grill, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
We appreciate your input & compliments! Our team members will be very proud to hear such kind words. We hope you will join us again soon for brunch or dinner. Best regards, Fred.
olathe, ks
“Great Service, Mediocre Food, Over Priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The wait staff were excellent and attentive, the restaurant was clean and comfortable. I asked for a quiet table when I made reservations and my wife and I were seated at a LARGE round booth with room for 6 at the entrance to the tiered seating area.

Our waitress indicated the restaurant was "known" for its steaks, hand cut and aged 21 days, so I thought I would go that route since a decent steak is so very hard to find in Kansas City. I should know better by now, but I continually hope I will run across a place that serves truly delicious steaks, so I keep trying.

We started our meal with cocktails, my wife had a Chocolate Martini and I had Glenfiddich Scotch. The best thing about the meal was the first glass of scotch, I'm not sure what was served in the second glass I ordered, but it was not the same scotch.

For dinner, we started with Jumbo BBQ Spiced Shrimp, while good, the shrimp were not jumbo and they could have been a little more generous with the french bread that came with the appetizer. We ended up using some of the complimentary bread served with the meal to finish off the white wine butter sauce which was also very tasty.

I ordered the 24 ounce Del Monico Bone In Ribeye hoping it would be a good steak. I was VERY disappointed. I will say the steak most likely was 24 ounces, but that was the only good thing about it. If not for the char on the outside of the steak, it would have had NO flavor. Think warm dishwater, without a lot of dish. The steak was tender enough and had good chew, but it was like munching on wet cardboard. I will commend the restaurant for being honest with their meat and not overly seasoning the steak, as so many do this in an attempt to add some flavor to the meat, but this steak was very disappointing. Pretty much typical commodity beef; you know what you're going to get, something with bland flavor, but not tough. It was all I could do, not to ask for a bottle of A-1 sauce.

The steak was to come with grilled asparagus, but mine came with green beans, and the twice baked potato reminded me of something you'd get from the frozen food section of the grocery store. The beans and potato were good enough for an average restaurant, but really not of an acceptable level for a high-end restaurant such as the Gaslight Grill.

To add insult to injury, when the dessert menu came I noticed the Scotch I had ordered was $8.50, but when I checked our bill I was charged $10 a glass. Again, nothing major but just one of those little things.

For the price I cannot recommend this restaurant. We spent $140 for a dinner for two, and I left sorely disappointed. All the great service in the world will not make up for average quality food when you are charged a premium price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
GaslightGrill, Owner at Gaslight Grill, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback & for the compliments on our service & ambiance. We would however like to apologize for our shortcomings listed in your review. We believe our premium cut steaks, and all other dishes, to be the best in the KC Metro. We use only Certified Black Angus Beef that is the best we can purchase short of using Prime. Each steak is hand cut and trimmed to our high standards. Our Twice Baked Potatoes are made from Idaho grown potatoes and stuffed with house roasted poblano peppers and aged white cheddar cheese. That said, it is upsetting to hear that your meal did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be discussed with management & our entire staff in hopes of alleviating these issues. We would like for you to reconsider giving us another chance sometime to prove to you that this was a remote incidence. Sincerely, Fred
Overland Park, Kansas
“We had a wonderful Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went to the Gaslight Grill on a Wednesday evening. this is not a bar and grill but an upscale, elegant restaurant, with live music from a jazz combo playing in the back bar area. we were seated immediately by our pleasant hostess at a booth upholstered in blach tufted leather sides and smooth seing. The tablecloth is black and while pairing nicely with the leather booth, it also blends nicely with the dark wood wall panelling. Our water glasses were immediately filled, and with in a few short minutes, our server greeted us.
You can get steaks almost as good at the local chain steakhouses, but it is the ambiance, the music, and the service that sets the Gaslight above the rest.
I want to make mention of our server, Juan, who was unobtrusive, knowledgeable, and professional. As an example, at most restaurants, when the wine is opened, the server proceeds to slosh half the bottle into my and my wife's glass. A glass of wine filled to the brim is not the way to enjoy wine with dinner. Juan filled our glasses with about an inch of wine, took our orders and left. He was back shortly with our salads. He then asked if he could refill our glasses. You don't get that kind of refined service at the chain restaurants. All through the meal, Juan would stop back to take care us. Our filets were cooked perfectly. Our meal was what we expected. Perfect.
It was just a great evening enjoying the food, listening to the music coming from the back room, and being taken care of by the server.
Later on, a gentleman came by, introduced himself as the owner and we assured him our experience was superb.
If you like elegance, ambiance, great food, outstanding service, and live music, then the Gaslight is the place.

GaslightGrill, Owner at Gaslight Grill, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for the "5" review & for your extremely kind compliments Bill! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us & we will make sure to pass your sentiments along to Juan and the rest of our staff! We look forward to having you back! Sincerely, Fred.