“Wow, what an experience!” 1 of 5 stars

Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 119th & Roe
Description: WestChase Grille specializes in serving upscale comfort food. The décor is warm, elegant and inviting, with live music five nights a week (Wed - Sun). Chef/ Owner, John Westerhaus, trained at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, graduating with honors in both their cuisine and pastry programs. Located at 119th and Roe Avenue in Hawthorne Plaza, WestChase Grille is open for dinner seven nights a week from 5pm to close and serves lunch Monday through Friday from 11am to 3pm. The lunch menu offers great salads, homemade soups, a variety of hot and cold sandwiches, as well as lunch size portion entrées. The dinner menu has something for everyone including: Certified Angus™ Beef steaks, highly acclaimed seafood, chicken, pasta and nightly specials that showcase items such as: rack of lamb, veal and duck. WestChase Grille’s wine list has won the Wine Spectator “Award of Excellence” three years in a row. Additionally, there is a full bar serving great martinis, house cocktails, bottle and draft beer. Guests may bring in their own wine and enjoy it with a nominal corkage fee.
Leawood, Kansas
“Wow, what an experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have been eating infrequently at this establishment since they opened. My experience today was horrible.An argumentative server (Jessica), who informed me that I was disrespectful to her when I told her that my sandwich was terrible, full of fat, chewy, soggy and full of un-trimmed grissel (SP?). I could even see arteries and veins in the meat and was disgusted. When asked why she felt I was disrespectful, she told me that she did not have time to explain. Jessica also informed me that she did not cook the meal. I guess that is good to know for some reason.

I left the restaurant pretty angry due to the fact that the server seemed to think that it was my fault I did not like the nasty sandwich she served me. Since I wont be returning, there is one more available table for a newbie, but keep in mind they seem to always have plenty of tables available. Or better yet, you should try an Army chow hall for a better experience as they are nicer to their customers and serve a higher quality of meat.

If you decide to go, take a good deal of patience. From the slow service, poor quality meal, and argumentative serving staff you will need it!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Fred - It is obviously very upsetting to learn about your most recent visit with us & that you were treated this way by one of our servers. We take all comments seriously and we would like to get to the bottom of what happened so this doesn't happen again - to you or anybody else. You have every right to expect your sandwich to be cooked & prepared correctly. No one, especially our employees, should disregard that right & argue with our customers. Please accept our heartfelt apology & we hope that you give us another chance in the future. Sincerely, John.

Kansas City
“Good food but poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

While the food was great, the service was terrible. Our waiter didn't appear at our table after taking our order until he presented the check.

Visited July 2012
John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thanks for the compliment on our food & for bringing the poor service to our attention. This type of service is intolerable & we can assure you that it will be dealt with promptly. Please accept our deepest apology. We would greatly appreciate it if you have us another chance to show you that receiving poor service is far from typical here at WestChase Grille. Sincerely, John.
Chicago, Illinois
“They Turned Off the Lights!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

While visiting from out of town, I went on a Monday evening with a friend. We arrived at 7 pm. The meal was quite good. Not spectacular, but good. What astounded us, and is the reason I am unlikely to ever return, is that the staff started making obvious signs they wanted to go home at 8:15 when our bill was delivered without us requesting it and without an offer of coffee or tea. We paid, but were still enjoying our conversation. Then they turned off the lights in the kitchen, prep area and bar at 8:40! I realize we were the last customers, but 8:40??? Two of the staff members left at the same time. I jokingly asked what time they closed and was told 9, which seems early for me even in KC. And it wasn't even 9 yet! It was quite unprofessional and I have never experienced that at any restaurant in which I have ever eaten, much less a place that seemed more upscale in every other respect.

John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
It is very upsetting to learn of this incident, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. It is never acceptable or professional for staff members to make customers feel rushed, especially in the manner that you were. We can assure you that this incidence does not represent WestChase Grille’s standards, nor do we condone this conduct. This matter will be dealt with promptly & alleviated at once. Please accept our heartfelt apology. It is our hope that that you give us another chance the next time you’re in the KC area. We would like to prove to you that this was an isolated occurrence & that our top priority is making our customers happy. Sincerely, John.
Olathe, Kansas
“First time visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was our fist time at Westchase. My son had a Kobe burger...very well prepared and full of flavor. The feature was a seafood pasta dish that had just the right kick. My wife Loved the wedge salad and ordered an appetizer salmon cake.

Very nice atmosphere. The three of US had a great time.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your first dining experience with us Bob! We appreciate your compliments of our food & atmosphere! It is our hope that you make WestChase Grille a regular stop when you’re in the area! We’d love to have you back! Sincerely, John.
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had a very enjoyable meal here on a Saturday night. We chose to eat outside. My wife had scallops and I had the salmon. Both entrees were sizeable and resulted in to-go boxes. We had the chocolate dessert and it was excellent. Recommend it highly.

Visited August 2012
John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you so much for giving us such wonderful feedback! We are very happy to hear that you & your wife enjoyed your seafood entrees & dessert! We hope to see both you again soon! Sincerely, John.