“Looking forward to more!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegetarian, Eclectic, International, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
“Looking forward to more!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I were looking for somewhere local that we had never been to before for lunch today. We happened across a sign for Bassa Prua's Sunday brunch buffet, and decided to give it a shot. I had eaten at and enjoyed the food at Chef Elena's super fun Cafe Chillingo, and had heard that Bassa Prua was in the works. I'm very glad we found Bassa Prua today, and we are looking forward to going back again and again. We were greeted as soon as we walked in, and the brunch buffet was thoroughly explained. The friendly and attentive staff bring food to the tables from the kitchen, and you can choose to eat what you wish. I am not exaggerating when I say that everything I ate was wonderful. The glazed ham was what you'd expect, but the biscuits and gravy were very savory and flavorful. The Eggs Benedict came with a perfectly poached egg. Other offerings included ripe fruit, sweet little muffins that were delicious and crazy fluffy. Beignets warm from the fryer were just perfect! Pork tenderloin on a bed of mashed potatoes I thought were very good. Roasted potatoes were crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. Everything I tasted was flavorful and perfectly seasoned. And the food JUST KEPT COMING! The sweet chef/owner Elena came out to meet us and make sure everything was to our satisfaction. We were very happy to find Bassa Prua and cannot wait to try one of their prix fixe theme dinners, cooking demos, or just happy hour.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kansas City, Missouri
“European dining in Leavenworth, Kansas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We popped into Bassa Prua unexpectedly for dessert. I say unexpectedly as we waited 15 minutes to be served in the Café Italia next to Luigi's. We couldn't help but notice the beautiful dessert case at Bassa Prua and decided to give it a try. What a difference! We were immediately welcomed by the staff and greeted like regular customers. The co-owner served us himself and spent several minutes discussing the restaurant and the ideas behind it. Dessert, particularly their San Fran blend coffee, were very good. The décor is beautiful and more akin to a European restaurant. Bassa Prua offers breakfast, lunch, dinner, bar snacks, catering and even cooking classes. We will definitely return here again!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lansing, Kansas
“Nice Relaxed Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a no-rush dinner. The server was very attentive, the food was good and the atmosphere was very intimate. After our meal, the owner came to our table to thank us for trying the restaurant and invited us back. A nice place to go when you're looking for a leisurely adult-only meal!

Visited April 2014
Leavenworth, Kansas
“"Expensive average meal, slow service"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Friday night dinner here with a friend. For $35 per person this was a poor fine dining experience. The meal started with bread & cheese followed by red beans & rice; then more bread - a biscuit was served followed by 5 alligator bites to share. The next dish was coleslaw followed by Beignets with caramelized onions & shrimp (could not find the shrimp). The main entrées were cod filet with a cream shrimp sauce and crawfish. Another starchy dish was duck gumbo – not good! Finally cold bread pudding and a very small piece of pecan pie were served for dessert. The portion size and service was poor; it took up to 5 minutes between each dish. Our bill for two people along with a tip was $88.00 (no drinks or alcohol just water) and I will not be returning for this “not so fine” dining experience.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leavenworth, Kansas
“Good meal, incredible dessert, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Had lunch here with a friend. The food was average but the service was absolutely terrible to the point where I will not return to the restaurant. The server was very slow and we were the first costumers seated in the dining area. I never received the drink I ordered (after reminding the server more than once). Our meal came with soup/salad but that did not arrive on our table until lunch was served. The soup the server brought out was the wrong soup ordered- my friend said it was very watery when the correct one came. The grits were not cooked all the way but did taste pretty good with the gouda chunks in it. During the meal, we were not asked if we wanted a refill on our drinks (I had to ask for water) or needed anything else. The server removed my plate however left my friend's and placed our checks in front of us. She did not ask us if we wanted anything else- coffee, tea or dessert. We told her we wanted dessert and she looked puzzled. The server explained she did not have a dessert menu and we had to get up and leave our table to see what was in the case up front by the door. Upon returning to our table, we placed an order and waited a while before it arrived. We were not given any clean silverware to eat our desserts with. The server watched as my friend cleaned off her spoon with her napkin to place in her pudding. She then asked if she wanted her fork back off her plate that she was carrying. We were stunned! The desserts were beautiful, tasty and made from scratch. This was the only impressive part of the meal!!!!! We had to leave our table and go to the front to ask for our checks as she never came back. The server still did not have them ready nor knew the prices of the items we purchased. When we paid, we both realized we never once saw an itemized bill for our lunches. Outside of the desserts I would not return there for a meal.

• Visited March 2014