“Not the place for your wedding or young children-rip off!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Victorian Veranda Country Inn

Victorian Veranda Country Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lawrence
Victorian Veranda Country Inn
1431 North 1900 Road, Lawrence, KS 66044   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Lawrence B&B and Inns
Topeka, Kansas
“Not the place for your wedding or young children-rip off!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We had our wedding their and reception their. Their are animals roaming the property freely and a cat that is loose in the guest part of the bed and breakfast. It scratched and drew blood on my mother. The rehearsal dinner is way over priced and she invited people that were not eating to come and eat and encouraged people that were bat the dinner to throw away there dinner plates for clean dessert plates. We found out when came time to check out that she had counted the paper plates (charging per plate and not by person) and tried to over-charge us $500 extra for a not worth it to begin with meal. We paid $1800 for 32-35 people large amount were kids, for a meal that she had prepared at the local grocery store -a roast, some vegetables and fruit cocktail served out of tin serving dishes. Beverly was very rude to the guest that stayed in the house. They also did not replenish the water once it ran out. Very dishonest business-nice place but very dishonest!

• Stayed September 2010

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

My daughter's wedding was delighful. The combination wedding garden, 13-room B&B, and reception barn met our needs for a reasonable price point. Rob (the owner) only does weddings now, so we had plenty of time to really decorate the barn starting mid-week. All the bridesmaids and out-of-town immediate family stayed at the B&B. We used the barn's first floor for a staging area with bridal couple video after the ceremony while the wedding party took pictures. Our 200 guests were "snug" upstairs for the reception. We cleared out about 10 round tables in the center for a dance floor, which worked out fine as about 1/3'd of the guests started leaving after the toasts and traditional first dance, bride & father, and groom & mom's dance. We had to move the ceremony into the reception area due to rain (very rarely happens Rob said), so we made a center isle and started a little late, but it all worked out fine. After the ceremony, the rain cleared out to take outside pictures, so the upstares was re-set and the caterer's were all set. (We moved the guests back downstairs while we took pictures.). The garden area for the outdoor ceremony seats 200+ easily and the September flowers were in full bloom. There are three sitting rooms; the dining room seats 25 easily. A large carpeted basement room was perfect for the hair stylist and bride staging area. Hy-Vee (ask for Johanna) superbly catered our reception meal. Rob has 150 white chairs for the garden, so we rented 200 chairs and some more tables from Sunflower Rental for the reception. Call Ursula (at Sunflower) -- she was wonderful. Rob serves a traditional farm-style breakfast with fruit and such for the weight-watchers. Coffee's hot at 7:00, 8:30-9:30 breakfast; very informal (which we liked). Because we had most of the week to set-up (again, Rob does primarily week-end weddings), we were "so "set-up" by Saturday morning, for the evening wedding, we could focus time on our out-of-town family and friends. The B&B was designed and built as a B&B, so all the rooms have private tubs and showers, queen or king-size beds, lots of Victorian decor. The frequent coal trains are more noticable at night, so have light sleepers bed on the west side of the B&B. Oh, yeah, you're close enough to Lawrence to make a Wal-mart or Hy-Vee (big grocery store) fetch-something run in under 45 minutes round-trip.
If you're set on and outdoor wedding in eastern Kansas, note that the barn is not air-conditioned, so Kansas' unpredictable weather is a given. Our mid-September wedding worked out fine -- the well ventelated barn was warm for dinner at 8:00 (high 70's) and cooled as the evening proceded. The barn's upstairs reception space is not handicapped accessable (no elevator) -- it is a barn.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
lubbock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We had our small outdoor wedding at the Victorian Veranda Inn. It's a beautiful country setting, lovely garden and ceremony space. And the inn was excellent--10 nicely decorated rooms/suites. Rob, the innkeeper, was very easy to work with, a great host, and he officiates a lovely ceremony. The wedding packages they have are a great value, regardless of the size of your wedding.
--Robert and Sarah

• Stayed August 2010
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Rob and Beverly were amazing hosts and the Inn is quite beautiful. They are very welcoming to children. Sadie and Sam are the canine friends who will greet you and love you bunches. Our son had an amazing time wandering with their dogs and granddaughter. Very peaceful except the trains, which do not bother us because we come from a town with trains also. I woke up for a few horns but I am a seriously light sleeper and was missing my foam pillow also. Definitely not something I would let stop us from staying here again. A home cooked breakfast was served and tea and coffee were available at all times. At night it was very comfortable because Rob and Beverly disappeared so you do not feel like you are in someone else's home and have to go to bed early and be quiet...we felt very free to come and go as we please. Rob is amazingly well informed about Kansas and can pretty much tell ya anything you want to know and is so generous with his time even though we were pressed to get out and visit downtown. We wished we could have just hung around the inn and enjoyed it more. Overall it was amazing to stay in such a homey place and I wish we had more time to stay and relax. Definitely felt like home but better because you will be well cared for. There's something special about someone who makes you feel like your experience is really important to them and in this day and age they are certainly a rare find.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
nathans30
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

We got married last weekend and i cant say enough on how beautiful the place was. It was a perfect day with the weather and the flowers and just everything. It was the best weekend of my life. We had a little party on Friday night that was a lot of fun and the wedding on Saturday was amazing. Rob and his crew had the place looking great. The rooms were great and we got a lot of great pictures indoors too. I cant say enough about how great it was. We have a lot people still talking about how great it was too. This is a hidden gem if you get the right date and weather.

• Stayed September 2009
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

My fiance and I are currently in the process of locating a wedding ceremony and reception venue. We came across the Victorian Veranda Country Inn (Lawrence, KS) through a google search and were immediately impressed! The pictures looked beautiful and the owner Robert was very quick at responding to our inquiries (both phone and e-mail). We even drove an hour and a half away to visit the venue. Again, we were very impressed. Beautiful property, gorgeous house.

There were a few things we were willing to overlook, such as the location being fairly out of the way, 3-4 dogs roaming all over the grounds, and various work projects going on. However, when my fiance and I got home we discovered a few very unpleasant reviews. We therefore VERY politely inquired with some legitimate concerns via e-mail to Robert. Our questions included concerns about the animals disrupting our stay/ceremony/reception, possible overcharges (we're on a modest budget), adequate power for a small reception of 40 people, whether the owners will be present during our event, and a request for a few references. Let me assure you, our e-mail was very polite. We even complimented them on our how beautiful their property was.

We received a response the next day. The response had a rude undertone, with comments such as:

"We do plan to be present on our property. In ten years we were gone
for one wedding because a friend of mine's daughter was getting
married, and we attended. There is always the chance a faimily or
close friend emerency would arise. My wife's mother does have cancer."

"As far as references, we are having a wedding this weekend and I
suggest that you come and visit at that time. If you are truley
interested I will give you references at that time."

It was then mentioned at the end of the e-mail that my fiance and I seem to have a lot of concerns and that maybe they weren't the venue for us. The question about overcharges was completely ignored and not answered.

I realize those responses aren't entirely rude, but I felt as if we were shunned for voicing our concerns. We didn't mean to imply that they weren't capable owners. And we know emergencies pop up, that's totally understandable. Also, not providing references upfront unless we're REALLY interested is a poor business practice. Any good business would be happy to answer concerns, squash any poor reviews, and provide references.

It really is a shame this had to happen. We left completely excited about our dream country wedding; however, poor customer service is unacceptable for such an important day in our lives.

Needless to say, I would suggest if you are really interested in renting this property, you may want to keep your mouth shut and hope for the best.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

Where to begin? My husband and I were married in October of 2006 at the inn. We had our reception in the barn and the power went out so many times that we finally had to unplug many of our items, such as the coffee maker,margarita maker and so forth. We had previously disscussed items that would be needing power and were assured that it would be just fine. My father in law and brother had to find the fuse box to get everything turned back on due to the fact that my wedding coordinater was unable to find the owners. We later found out that they had left the properety and gone to dinner!! After the ceremony we were supposed to go on a carriage ride but were told at the last minute that it was broken down!! I was very upset but after I looked at the carriage and noticed that it had a pile of cat hair all over the seat I was relieved that my dress wouldn't be ruined. Beverly was extremely rude to the children in my wedding party and had asked if they had to stay overnight in the inn. At the morning breakfast she skipped over them and had to be told to serve them. She also had very unfriendly animals on the property such as a cat who clawed anyone who came near it and dogs who ran freely outside. When my mother and I first checked out the inn we were so impressed. Beverly had mums around the house and everything looked as though it was nicely taken care of. She assured us that she always kept the property decorated for each season, and that it would look the same for us on our wedding day...needless to say it did not. All the mums were dead from lack of water and the yard had leaves and mud all over. It was a mess. Later we heard a rumor that the inn had closed and thought that maybe that was why beverly was so careless on our speacial day. My mother in law found that the inn is still up and running last week so my husband and I decided that we must warn anyone who is looking into this place for any reason what so ever. Please beware don't make the same mistake we did.

• Liked — the scenery
  • Disliked — everything but the scenery
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Victorian Veranda Country Inn? Share your experiences!