“Si! It's really, really good!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 266 Restaurants in Lawrence
Cuisines: Mexican
Lawrence, Kansas
“Si! It's really, really good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband often suggests that we dine at this restaurant. Why is that such a big deal? Because I love Mexican food and he does not. Until we discovered El Potro, I could count on him going with me to a Mexican restaurant on my birthday and Mother's Day. El Potro won him over with their Shrimp Fajitas. I have liked everything I've tried there and we appreciate the free queso dip which is very good -- as is their guacamole. Best of all, they are good about allowing diners to make substitutions. My husband doesn't like rice and beans and they don't like him, so he orders fries instead. This Mexican food is the best I have had anywhere . . . including Mexico.

• Visited July 2013

Brookings, South Dakota, United States
“Amazing. Simply awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The place seems small and insignificant, but the food (I had the Enchiladas de Glorias) and complimentary chips were delicious. Our waiter was attentive and prompt in all manners. Everything is clean and pleasant. Lovely first time and visit.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Eudora, Kansas
“Delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My sister and brother-in-law from Texas wanted Mexican food for lunch. I had heard about El Portro and decided that we should go there. They have lots of opportunities in Texas to enjoy great Mexican food, so I was impressed when they said the food was delicious! Now, this restaurant is definitely my favorite Mexican restaurant in Lawrence. The free chips served at lunch with cheese dip and salsa are excellent. The seafood enchilada was amazing, it is a regular Friday lunch special. The price of the food and the service were good.

• Visited June 2013
Lawrence, Kansas
“Worth the search”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The time to go to El Portro is for lunch. They will bring you chips with FREE cheese dip. Everything I have had there is very good. The service is quick and they look after you. There servings are quite abundant and the food is served piping hot. This restaurant is kind of off the beaten path, but well worth the search...but go for lunch. The cheese dip is not served free in the evening.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food and lots of it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant is great, so great, its always packed. Most mexican restaurants just give you chips and salsa they go even further and give you there homemade white queso dip thats wonderful and has spinich and tomatoes in it.
Thier portions are huge so you can split a meal. I love this place and took my 21 yr old son there. he was hesitant because its small and doesnt look like your typical restaurant.
As soon as he got his dip he said goodbye to Beyond the border and El mezcal. this is his new favorite place. Tonight I tried the tamales not a big fan but their pork carnitas chimchanga is excellent.

• Visited March 2013