“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Lawrence
Winterset
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The room was small but initially looked nice. We had my wife and I and two adult children. One of the beds the side was broken so when you sat on it it appeared the whole bed sagged. The AC had all the slide bars missing and the filter was dirty. The carpet was stained. There were marks on the walls and places where the walls had been gouged. In the bathroom, there were two blue plates over something - on opposite ends of the bathroom counter. The shower rod was rusted on the underneath. The TV channel guide did not match the stations. When we asked, we were told they are changing that so would have new ones out next week. Basically, I was just disappointed in the room and expected better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
AMES
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. It was nice that there was a fridge and microwave in the room. The bathroom was a bit small and/or awkwardly arranged--door was in the way of the toilet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

SAINT LOUIS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Clean, efficient, cost effective, quiet. Great night's sleep. Will stay there again. Front desk personnel was very friendly. Allowed us a late checkout which helped.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Disappointed in many ways. No staff at the desk when we arrived to check in; had to use my cell phone to call the hotel to notify someone I needed assistance. The pool was dingy and dirty. There was trash (pizza boxes, soda , cigarette butts, beer boxes) piled by trash cans at the entry doors to the hotel. Breakfast was poorly stocked (no milk, ran out of waffle mix, ran out of coffee cups) and no staff around to resupply, had to track down our own refills in the kitchen.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked this hotel for a one-night stay for my husband, son and I for several reasons: I was able to use points on my CapitalOne rewards account (i.e., it was free), it was near enough to our activities planned for that weekend, the reviews were good enough, and they had rooms with two queen beds.

The hotel served our needs, but I would have to say the beds were pretty awful (very soft), the room was quite small, the window A/C unit was noisy, and the bathroom was dark.

Would I go back again? I guess. If money's still an issue. (Memo to self: Buy lottery ticket.)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
High Point, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel was pretty clean and there were no signs of bed bugs in my room (which is very important to me now that I know how expensive they are to get out of your house). The breakfast was fine, but the waffle maker has lost it's non-stick coating so you get more of a waffle-mash if you don't use the non-stick spray jussst right. The pool was pretty bad, there was fuzzy stuff floating at the bottom and the pool is way overdue to be drained and resurfaced. Fine for the 8 year old boys I had with me, but not for me or anyone over 12. The cable tv was limited and the directory was out of date so we had to just hunt for kids channels, I mean channel.The beds were the best night sleep I have had in months! Just wonderful! Crisp white linens and some sort of squishy mattress pad and 3 fluffy pillows on each bed, it was like sleeping in a cloud.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After returning from a year living in Bolivia, this place felt like a 3rd world hotel (of course, the nicer end for the developing world). We stayed here for a wedding and picked this place for the price and location. If we could do it again, we would have booked sooner and stayed at the Holiday Inn or found a place on VRBO.

Our first morning there, we saw a rat running down the hallway when we went to have breakfast. The breakfast selection was poor and consisted of the standard hotel continental stuff (waffles, sugary cereal, fatty muffins, and bananas) - so we ate out. The rooms were pretty clean and spacious enough (and, unlike the 3rd world, included towels and soap for free in the shower).

The most disturbing part of our stay was a front desk mishap in which the front desk employee thought we had left without checking out and presumably barged into our room to ensure it was cleared out (why the house keeping staff couldn't tell him, I'm not sure). I got a hysterical call from my wife (who was fresh out of the shower standing naked in the bathroom), who said she only had time to wrap a towel around her before this random guy was there in our room looking at her. The front desk agent apologized to her (and me, later on) profusely, but still this type of error is unacceptable and avoidable.

The terrible rating is for the $75/night (with tax) price we paid; at $40/night I might have given it a "poor" rating. Either way, though, we'll never return and don't think you should waste your time or money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Baymont Inn Lawrence? Share your experiences!