“Was expecting a bit more” 3 of 5 stars

Chateau Avalon
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Village West Parkway, Kansas City, KS 66111   |
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Kansas
“Was expecting a bit more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

This hotel makes for a great anniversary outing, but my husband and I weren't really thrilled with the price value. The food is really good, but the room was small. If I am going to pay over $300 for something, I want it to be a bit more extravagant. I just wasn't wowed.

We did get the entertainment package, which allowed us to watch 2 movies at the Phoenix theater and then eat at Dave & Busters. I think the most romantic part of our entire anniversary outing was walking hand in hand outside the Legends. We could have done that without spending a great deal of money at Avalon though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Laura T, Director of Marketing & Revenue at Chateau Avalon, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear HBR2002 -

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I am sorry you didn't enjoy the suite you were in but we do have 23 different concepts and 61 rooms that are all a little different from one another! Although this one wasn't the right fit there is one here that I am sure would suit you both better. We have open tours Sunday through Thursday from 12 pm - 3 pm & I encourage you to do this so you can come see the other rooms & suites we have to offer. Thanks again for your review and we all hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I stayed in Buckingham Room. It was clean, but overpriced. No bedside stand or lamp. Front desk crew needs a class in hotel hospitality. They should have someone to help with your bags even if on a part time basis. The gourmet breakfast advertised is not gourmet, The giant cinnamon rolls was good. Other food was not. The Library room did not have a good reading light. Also most of the book shelves was empty.Not a lot needed, but should have been a few more to make it look like a library.Did not like tub being so close to bed if not careful you could fall in just getting out of bed. Was told shuttle service was all day to take you to mall, casino and cafes, but when asked was told it started running at 4 pm. . I will not stay there again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Estell5 -

Thank you for sharing your experience! We appreciate your time and making us aware of the things that need attention so we can continue to improve, both as a team and as a hotel. I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay but I hope that we may regain your trust in the future.

Wright City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a good time, it was a fun stay and we really liked that we could pick which theme room we wanted to stay in, we picked the Presidential Suite which was cool, i wanted to try the Camelot one but the wife wasn't having any of it due that the tub/jacuzzi looked like a boat, so we did the presidential, my favorite thing would have to be the vibrating bed, made me think of National Lampoons National Vacation when Chevy Chase is on the bed with the vibrating bed, although this bed was a lot nicer than the one in the movie, the huge fountain that was beside the hotel was beautiful. I would come back to this place although i think my heart is set on the Camelot room,or one of the other luxury rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Laruetl -

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write us a review! We appreciate your time and pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay! Maybe next time you can convince your wife to give the Camelot a try! It's a popular favorite around here & we are sure you both would enjoy it! We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to Chateau soon no matter what suite you both decide! They are all wonderful!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed in the Presidential Suite. The bed was vert comfortable and had a built in massager. The whirlpool tub was big enough for two people. Breakfast is included in your stay and delivered to your room. The wine bar had a nice patio to sit out on and relax. This place is close to the Legends shopping center, Speedway, and Hollywood Casino. Staff was pleasant and hotel was well kept. We will be going back to stay in the Camelot Suite.

Room Tip: Look at website to pick out theme room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mkltll -

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm so happy your time here was wonderful & that you were able to visit our d'Nile Wine Bar! We appreciate the amazing review and look forward to welcoming you back when you stay in the Camelot Suite!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This hotel is our favorite place to go for a short getaway! I cannot express how much we love this place and everything about it. It is so romantic and perfect for a night with your significant other. The rooms are so cool and you feel you are not in Kansas any more! We are so ready to go back and try another room. The shuttle service is GREAT, as we love to go to the D'nile bar for a few drinks and then over to the legends for dinner. This last stay we got to meet the owner Steve, I must say he so kind and put his whole heart and soul into this awesome place. The Jacuzzi tubs are our favorite part!! So fun!! Service is great, breakfast is good, we have not one complaint. You need to go check out this place!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Jferguson5
Laura T, Director of Marketing & Revenue at Chateau Avalon, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Jferguson5 -

We appreciate you so much and the time you took to write such an awesome review for us! It never gets old hearing guest testimonies about how amazing the stay was. The owner did pour his heart and soul into Chateau Avalon and will be delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay once again! I hope you were able to become a Passport Member and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the buckingham room it was Nice. But the outside security light kept me me awake. Worst night sleep. Breakfast was a 2 out of 5. Wine bar was a plus. 2$ beer. Great flatbread. If breakfast was good and no security light I would have rated very good

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Damerson -

I apologize that your stay had some hiccups in it, we appreciate the time you took to inform us with this feedback. Thanks to guest like you we are able to improve on the things that need attention immediately.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here because we had a LivingSocial deal, and I would have demanded a refund had I paid full price. We stayed in a Buckingham Suite, which was interesting, but small. The shower is in their two-person bathtub... which is in the bedroom! The last place I stayed with a jacuzzi had a separate shower in the bathroom. The sink is very small and hard to use. Anyway, the air conditioning in our room was not working, so we let the front desk know. We were told "it takes 15-20 minutes to kick on, so just wait." So we did. Nothing happened. We had reservations at a restaurant, so we let them know it still didn't work and headed out. When we came back, they had turned the HEAT on, and our room was now a sweltering 78 degrees. We turned the air conditioning again, and after an hour, nothing had happened. We went back to the front desk and they moved us into the other Buckingham room. This one was even smaller. So small that the bed didn't even fit; it touched the bathtub and you had to clamber over things to get there.

Our LivingSocial included a $25 voucher to the wine bar. Here's the problem; we checked in at 7:00 for a one night stay, but the lady at the front desk failed to mention that the wine bar was only open from 4pm-7pm during the week. The guestbook in the rooms says it's open at 8am for breakfast cocktails, so we were going to use it then, but never got the chance. So our voucher went to waste.

Overall, I will never stay here again, and I will never recommend this place to anybody looking for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the Buckingham; it is very disappointing.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Allison A
Laura T, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Allison A -

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us, although we weren't able to make it everything you'd hoped it would be and more, your feedback is very important to us and we have actively addressed the concerns that you brought to our attention. If there is anything I can personally do please feel free to contact me: laurat@chateauavalonhotel.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
BEST WESTERN PREMIER KC Speedway Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kansas City at Village West
The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hampton Inn Kansas City / Village West
Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza
Holiday Inn Express Village West

Been to Chateau Avalon? Share your experiences!