“Nice getaway for wife's birthday” 4 of 5 stars

Chateau Avalon
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Village West Parkway, Kansas City, KS 66111   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
Florence, missouri
“Nice getaway for wife's birthday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We liked everything about this place. It was clean, quiet, and speedy. We had the "cheaper" room. We liked everything it had. We also booked a massage. The breakfast was better than your normal hotel breakfast. We thought the price for room was a little bit high. However, we are not expert travelers. Only real unfortunate moment is watching cable television. We are spoiled with HD directv. Didn't spend much time watching tv anyway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ChateauAvalonHotel, Director of Sales at Chateau Avalon, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thanks for sharing about your experience at the Chateau Avalon. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we have upgraded our television options since your stay. I'm sorry for the disappointment before but wanted to assure you that we have listened to our guests and made changes accordingly. We hope to have you as our guests again very soon! Thanks so much and have a wonderful day!

Chateau Avalon Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I don't understand what all these people are talking about that are writing bad reviews about this place!!! We have stayed there twice so far. The first time we were in the mayan rainforest room and yesterday we stayed in the pirate's cove room. I love the huge fountain outside. We always take lots of pictures of it. I got free strawberries and rose petals on our bed this time. I knew that I was getting four strawberries by the way so we paid 2.00 more and got 6. When they did the rose petal turn down service, they left me a free rose and I felt that was an amazing thing to do!!! They just opened a wine bar but we decided to go to the new casino and did not have time to go. I felt sad about that. We used the shuttle to the casino and I was glad we did and it is so comfortable. The lady that dropped us off even told us where to get the best steak in the casino!!! thanks for the tip!!! :D I appreciated the free apple cider they left for us and the free wi-fi that worked just fine when we used it. I always love the breakfast, the coffee is the best! I was even able to get a 30 minute swedish massage this time and it was amazing! I think you negative people need to give this place a real chance. It is so much better than staying at a run of the mill holiday inn or motel 6. I have stayed at plenty of them in my lifetime, thank you very much. We have stayed here so far twice and we have a mission to try every room the hotel has.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience here at the Chateau Avalon! We appreciate your kind words and can't wait to have you back as our guests again! I think you should try the Camelot or Presidential next!

Home, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is by far the best date night ever. With top notch service to meet our every need. We had the luxury of a in room couples 3 1/2 spa treatment. It was top notch and very professional. I highly recommend the chateau Avalon for your romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks so much for taking the time to share about it. We so enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to have you stay with us again soon! Glad you enjoyed your spa treatment -- they are the best!

Overland Park, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked this hotel for a weekend wedding. We were able to get in right after 4, and they even offered us a complimentary sample drink in their new bar d'Nile. Staff was friendly and the cookies in the lobby were wonderful. Nice grounds that we walked around after the wedding.
We stayed in the Castaway Isle room. I would caution that the steps are rather steep, more than a 9" rise. Very limited cable channels (one didn't even work) and small sink/toilet area. Shower/tub was nice, but could have use a step or two to make it easier to get into - and especially out of. We had booked massages after normal check out and they were very accommodating with that. Breakfast had limited amount of coffee (no way to brew it in room) but was delivered when we asked. It could have been warmer, and the portion size is small, but with everything the meal is very filling. I would stay in a different room next time but glad that I did try this one.

Room Tip: Stay away from Castaway Isle if you have issues with your knees. The steps are hard to go down even...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing about your experience at the Chateau Avalon. We really appreciate you taking the time to do so! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I did want to let you know that we have upgraded our televisions since your stay and are pleased to expand our offerings.
Thanks again for sharing about your stay -- we look forward to having you as our guest again soon!

Olathe, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stay at this hotel as a getaway from our children, however, the couple next to us brought their small children and the walls are so thin that we heard all the screaming, doors slamming, and roughhousing of the children. We were also woken up early by the children. When I discussed this problem with management, they were unaware of the children staying and only offered to comp our 4 beers from the bar. As we have stayed many times before, this comp seemed like an insult. The new management has made a wonderful hotel into an upscale motel at best.
Also, don't waste your time on the romance packages, the food is horrible and not worth the money.

Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I discovered the Chateau Avalon in May, 2012 when planning a 27th anniversary get-away for my wife. We enjoyed the themed rooms of the Chateau Avalon so much that we now stay any time we are in Kansas City (3 times this summer). My wife's sister and brother-in-law are from Omaha, so they joined us at the Chateau for an "empty nesters" weekend in mid-August. They were very impressed. I strongly recommend a stay at the Chateau Avalon. Also, go to The Yard at The Legends for casual dining and drinks. When making a reservation at Chateau Avalon, feel free to mention you were referred by Passport Number 4178393450. You and your spouse will love the Chateau!

Jerry H.
Springfield, MO

Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Decided to try out this locale upon recommendation by several others. The wife and I had our 3rd Anniversary coming up and it was conveniently located between all the other events I had planned.

While we live on post at Fort Leavenworth which is about 20 some odd miles away - we went to dinner first in downtown KC. I had set up a couples massage for 0830 PM so we left after our dinner and made our way back to the hotel.

The outside grounds are immaculate and inviting - though the sign on the building facing the interstate is a bit gaudy. Inside we met the staff whom were very attentive and kind throughout the stay and did not miss a beat when asked for anything not already furnished. We went with the Venetian room which was not overly large but well done if in need of small care here and there. Let's be plain though - this hotel is designed for romantic outings and it's fair to see the rooms see their fair share of amorous couples all over the furniture.

The massage session was very enjoyable and reasonably prices. Although the wife thought it would be better for an hour session I went with the half as I wasn't sure how it would be the first time around. The therapists were professional and courteous - much like the front desk and wait staff.

The fact that the hotel is literally within sight of Legends, Hollywood Casino and Kansas Speedway is really enough to lure most people looking for a place to stay. It's on the pricey side for just a hotel - but then it was established long before the aforementioned attractions. Overall we enjoyed it and plan to go back. Ultimately - know that this isn't the Hilton and is truly a niche stay environment and if you're looking for cheaper hotels on the go or for high end luxury you would be better served going somewhere else. However, if you're looking for a weekend celebration and a room to romp around in - this is your place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau Avalon? Share your experiences!