“Just "meh" at best” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Topeka, KS
“Just "meh" at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hubby and kiddo and I stopped in for a late lunch / early supper here on a Sunday around 4:30 p.m. There were plenty of open tables at this hour and we were seated immediately. Our server was pleasant, but not as knowledgeable or as attentive as we would have liked. She took our drink orders and we perused the menus. I unwrapped my silverware from my napkin and saw that my knife still had food stuck to it. Ugh.

I was sad to see that this restaurant doesn't offer lower-calorie menu options. We got our waters and my kiddo and I ordered, but my husband had some questions. Instead of trying to help him through the menu, she just kept asking if he needed more time and that she'd come back. So finally, he just picked something. She brought out his salad and the rolls with the sweet butter. He asked for freshly-cracked pepper, and instead got a story about how they "used" to have pepper but that the 2-foot shaker got lost... blah blah blah.

The rest of the food came out quickly, but it wasn't impressive. I ordered the steak salad... the lettuce was limp and didn't look very fresh. The steak was cooked just as I asked, but one whole side of the small steak was nothing but gristle. The salad was covered in fried onions that didn't seem very fresh, so I picked all of those off.

Hubby's steak was cooked as he asked, but it wasn't great. Kiddo's burger "tasted funny" and she only took about two bites before rejecting it outright. Even though most of the food was still on our plates, the waitress seemed oblivious. All in all, we ended up having to flag her down three times, and another waitress kept our waters filled.

The place was clean and in good repair, and everyone was very nice... but I doubt we will return. There are too many other really good places in this area to settle for mediocre food and service.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Topeka, Kansas
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

They have a nice selection on their menu, although I have only tried one thing, I get the salmon every time it is fantastic and prices are good. Nice decor and friendly staff.

Visited March 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Very Tender Filet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I ate at Lone Star twice over the weekend...steakhouses tend to be friendly to protein/low carb diets. The first encounter, I ordered a 6oz. filet mignon, steamed broccoli, steamed spinach, and a side salad/no dressing. The filet was incredibly tender and excellent flavor. The broccoli and spinach were also very flavorful. The side salad was a little skimpy. The second encounter, I ordered a 8oz. filet mignon, steamed broccoli, steamed spinach, and a side salad/no dressing. The filet was again, very tender and excellent flavor. The broccoli and spinach were also very flavorful. Lone Star must have an incredible margin on their salads, yet again, the salad was very sparse. The service was very good both times with very good atmosphere also.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nebraska
“This is our go-to spot for dinner when visiting the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed nearby at Great Wolf Lodge and we always have to have dinner at least once at Lone Star. Great atmosphere and awesome food. Service was friendly and fast. Great kid menu options, not just chicken fingers. I had ribs that were tasty and fall off the bone, while my wife had grilled salmon which was delicious. We also really enjoy their wedge salad!

Visited August 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
“Great Steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband had the Outlaw dinner plate. He loved it! My steak was undercooked so I sent it back. It took a long time to come back and when it did it was charcoal burnt. The restaurant did not "offer" anything for "missing the mark" on the steak or the long wait, where my husband's food sat getting cold. Besides that, our server was very friendly and professional. We were in and out of there in one hour on an early Friday evening. It was very nice.

Visited May 2013