“overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
Joplin, Missouri
“overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

we loved the waterpark but that was it. Rooms are to pricey and they add about 60 dollars per night in fees and taxes to the actual rate. outlets and hair dryer in our room wasn't working. Had to ask three times for coffee for the in room coffeemaker, never got it! Snackbar and Restaurant are very expensive and didn't taste very good. Definetly will not return there, rather go in the summertime to oceans of fun or schlitterbahn

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Heatland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We took a 3-day weekend mini vacation to the KC area and stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge (GWL). We stayed there two nights (Friday and Saturday). Since the lodge includes a water park we went with the idea that the GWL would be one of the vacation "attractions" we would visit. If you don't have interest in the water park and do not plan to spend a fair amount of time using the water park, it would be a pretty overpriced place to stay. If one considers that the water park is a vacation attraction and factors in the admission cost to such an attraction, then the cost is reasonable, especially for a family.

The cost for rooms varies considerably, by a factor of 2 or more, depending upon when you go, when you make your reservation, and how you make your reservation. I recommend calling the hotel directly and working with them to get your best price. They seem to be quite willing to work out the best deal for you, a real plus in my mind. I got what I thought was the best price available from their website for the dates we wanted. We ended up with an extra kid at the last minute and I fully expected to have to pay additional for the extra person when I checked in based on the information on the website. However, the person at the check in desk searched for discounts that might be available to me and I ended up paying less with the extra person than with my original reservation. Sure started the visit off on a good note.

As far as the water park goes, it is a so-so park with limited features which is pretty understandable given that it is indoors. There is an outdoor pool but we visited after it was closed for the season. However, it sure is convenient to be right in the hotel. Our mini vacation plan was Friday at Science City and Saturday at the KC Renaissance Festival with a bit of evening time at the GWL water park both days and then just goof around at the GWL water park on Sunday. By Sunday the two teens (girls 14 and 15) in our party were pretty much bored with the water park and I will have to say that I was too. A few times down each of the three large slides and a few other things and you have pretty much done it all. However, the two younger kids (9-11) were having a blast and, as long as I was playing with them, I kept entertained. We had to drag them away mid afternoon on Sunday.

A few comments on the water park: We visited in late September. The water and the air temperature were a little cooler than I would have liked but not bad. I had to make a trip every now and then to the hot tub to warm up. The youngsters, who were probably more active than me seemed to do okay. You can use the water park on the day of your departure until close (9:00 pm) so even with an overnight stay, you can get a full day plus of water park if you plan it right. They have showers, towels, and changing facilities in the water park so not having a room when you finish with the park is not a problem. All of the facilities seemed to be well maintained and they had adequate staff to ensure reasonable safety. Access to the water park is strictly controlled and younger kids have to be accompanied. The least busy time is from about noon until 3:00 based on our limited experience. Evening, not surprisingly is the busiest. However, lines for the slides never got very long at any time.

My wife and I had four kids with us including two teens. We stayed in in a Family Suite room which is rated for up to 6 people. It was adequate for six people but just barely so. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room other than to sleep. It would have been pretty cramped if we spent much time there. In general the room was fine and decently furnished and cleanliness was good throughout the lodge. There are several activities available (most cost extra) in addition to the water park but most were aimed at young kids (perhaps 8 and less) and we did not participate in any of them. With lots of young kids running around, I thought the lodge would be noisy but was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the room was at night.

Eating options in the lodge are pretty limited and restaurant choices in the general area are pretty limited. We particularly had a difficult time finding a place to get a real breakfast on Sunday morning as the regular restaurants close by were not open for breakfast. There is an IHOP not too far away but we didn't notice it until we had already eaten a less desirable fast food breakfast.

In summary, I would say the GWL is a good deal for families with young kids but do not expect the water park to hold the interest of most people teenage and older for more than a few hours.

Room Tip: Call hotel directly to get best rate.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our second stay at the GWL-KC and it was even better than the first. We stayed in a Wolf Den suite and the kids loved the bunk beds. In addition to all the fun activities they normally have, they had several fun Halloween activities going on as well. We did the trick or treat trail and the free pumpkin decorating both of which the kids loved. We also splurged for the magiquest game (which is overpriced) but my boys 8 and 6 had a blast doing it and wanted to leave the waterpark to finish playing it. I only wish we had started it sooner instead of the day we were leaving. The hotel was extremely busy (I think one employee said they were sold out) but we still had great service from check in, to ordering pizza, to the employees at the Cub Club. They were all super friendly and helpful. Thanks for a great weekend!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eagle Pass, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

The facility is starting to show a little bit of age in the water park. The room I had Family suite was fine.. The only issue I would say is that there is some noise from other rooms above and adjacent. I did not expect to hear people walking on the floor above me. It reminded me of living in a cheap apt complex. The staff were friendly although did not record our phone number correctly to notify us when the room was ready.

Breakfast buffet was a bit of a let down. It was smaller I size than I expected and the food had sat under the heat lamp to long. I would have liked to see more variety and choices in food offered. The cereal bar has only two options for dry cereal. We ordered two cups of coffee brought to the table at diffrent times. One was lukewarm from the previous pot.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We recently had a fun road-trip, family weekend with a 2-night stay at the Great Wolf being the highlight of the trip.
We have 3 kids and stayed in a kid cabin suite--so all the kids could stay together. The themeing is fun, but for the price we paid I wish more had been included.

Mini Golf is an additional fee, all meals are an additional fee. Magic quest games were $30 (or so we were told) and their is an upcharge for any of the crafts in the Cub club.

The room was a great size, but the walls are thin. It sounded like a herd of elephants were in the room above us. The bed was "well worn" and hurt my back.

That being said, the water park was super fun and my kids enjoyed the freedom that we gave them (husband included in the "kid" category").

I don't think we will stay here again or any Great Wolf Lodge really. I don't think it was worth the price, even with the water park included. But I am glad we stayed and gave our kids this experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I purchased a Kids Cabin with a Zulily deal. It was a bargain for $199 and a $30 food voucher. The place is in general, a bit overpriced but the kids loved it. I took my four year old and nine year old and both had a blast. The beds in the main room were very comfortable, the bunk beds in the cabin were so so. The room was large and spotless. The only negatives I have are that when people are running around upstairs, it sounds like a herd of elephants, so bring ear plugs. The other negative is that the food is not good so I would go to one of the many other restaurants nearby for meals. The lifeguards were excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here only because I won the accommodations for 3 nights. We did not use the water park. The amount for three nights was over $500.00. For that you would think you would at least have new mattresses!! the beds were uncomfortable. They really need to refurbish this place. Every time we went back to our room, you could smell a stale odor. And unless you have money to burn, DON'T order drinks at the bar here. They are quite expensive.. I would not ever pay to stay here, but that's just me. All the kids looked like they were having a ball...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!