“Kids loved it...parents enjoyed it” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   10401 Cabela Drive, Kansas City, KS 66111   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
Hermann, Missouri
“Kids loved it...parents enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Overall the Lodge is a great place for a family friendly vacation. The water park is excellent and all the kids had a great time. I love the safety standards that are in place and the constant watching by lifeguards. There are several activities planned outside of the water park which the kids enjoyed. The only downside here was the train ride to get pumpkins...they didn't have any pumpkins. Other than that minor set back the kids had plenty to do and enjoyed every minute.
From a parents perspective things were not as bad as I had imagined. As I stated, the water park was fun for all ages and several security measures are in place to make one feel comfortable even if you can't see your child.The planned activities were fun for the kids so there is no room for complaint there.
The biggest complaint came on our last day. Check out is at 11a.m. We went to the water park after breakfast and returned to our room at 10 to change clothes and check out. However, upon arrival we found housekeeping had already cleaned our room. She was still in the hall so when I asked about our beverages from the refrigerator she produced them from where she had hidden them on her cart (a nearly full 6 pack). I went to a friends room and called the front desk and was told they would call me right back after speaking with housekeeping manager...they never did.
We will stay here again, but this last bit leaves a bad taste.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room called Wolf Den. It has a double bed and bunk beds. The bunk beds are in a faux...

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

While I will agree with some of the current reviews and say that the resort could use some updating; especially in the guest rooms, I would not trade my mini vacation at the Great Wolf Lodge! While my Husband and I like to travel and look to newer resorts, this time we were taking our three year old son with us and it was a trip for him. We actually cancelled our reserved room at a Sheraton in KC, an opted for the Great Wolf Lodge instead and am very glad we did. While the room could have been a bit cleaner, and use some updating, we didn't spend hardly any time other than to sleep in the room so it wasn't a big deal for us at all. The bed wasn't great, but wasn't horrible like I expected. The waterpark was amazing. My son had an absolute blast spending the afternoon and evening going down the waterslides and playing with Mom and Dad in the fort area. The next morning the first words out of his mouth were, "Can we go swimming???".

Room - We had a "Kids Cabin" and enjoyed the roominess, but needed updating and a bit better cleaning as we found things like raisens in the middle of the floor. The walls are a bit thin and had to call the front desk as it sounded like a stamped of hippos above us at 11:30 PM. but the bed was OK, the fridge was convienent for a nursing Mom, and the kiddo enjoyed sleeping on the top bunk.

Resort - The staff there were all pretty amazing and helpful. The lifeguards were very attentive and eased my Mommy fears having a child that is not a swimmer yet. Also, the live jackets provided were great, no need to bring your own. They will nickle and dime you as it is geared towards kids (think blinking toys for sale in the lobby), but the fact that all of your fun is contained in a resort it helps with costs associated with leaving the resort.

Overall, we were very happy. There were a few things we would change, but we plan to make this a yearly family tradition from now on.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the lobby.
Waukee, Iowa, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Was a decent place, but expected it to be bigger for what you pay for. Wasn't too busy for a holiday weekend, and the slides/activities were perfect for the kids ages (9 and 11). The room had a musty smell though, and the prices are high for extra activities. I would probably save the money and go to a local hotel with a smaller waterpark next time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went to Great Wolf Lodge with high expectations on September 28th considering another friend raved about this facility. Unfortunately our experience wasn't the same as hers and we were not at all impressed. While we were able to upgrade to a suite for only $30 upon arrival the room itself had some misgivings. The fireplace didn't work, there were stains on the carpet, and the mini fridge in the room was not level. Normally I understand things like this happen and can accept that, but when I'm paying over $300 for one night it irks me a bit. Additionally the water in the pool, the hot tub, as well as the waterslides was extremely cold considering they're supposed to be heated. If I had to guess, the water in the pool was probably 80° which sounds warm but when the kids lips start turning blue it makes me wonder. The water in the hot tub was probably around 90° and just moderately warm. The arcade was really nice and the kids did have fun there. When we ordered food we were again let down. It took nearly an hour to get an order of two pizzas a sandwich and fettuccine Alfredo. The pizzas were good and the kids enjoyed them. The Philly cheesesteak sandwich was a joke; it was made with cheese whiz which I understand is what is normally used on those sandwiches, however it did not have onions peppers or mushrooms as advertised in the menu. The large fettuccine Alfredo had maybe a tablespoon of Alfredo sauce and it was pathetic at best. Unfortunately the restaurant was horribly understaffed and you could tell from the way the waitstaff was running around. This probably also explains the terrible condition of the food that we received. While we were waiting in line to find out the status of our food we also spoke to another guest, who apparently frequents this place often and he had been waiting for nearly 2 hours for his pizzas. We asked him if the food delays and be extremely cold water was normal, and he said it was extremely unusual. The way the restaurant was ran and the terrible delay with the delivery of our food just shows how poorly managed the restaurant was.

Don't get me wrong, I understand things can't go great all the time, and this isn't a five star resort. I also understand that the rooms are going to have stains on the carpet etc. considering this place caters to families especially kids, and I can handle that. But the way they had the restaurant understaffed on a Saturday evening, the delays with the food and fact that the water was so cold that our kids wanted to watch TV in the room, has insured that we will not return here.

Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We decided early in the week to head to Kansas City to stay at the GWL and then head to Bonner Springs the next day to go to the Moon Marble Company and the Renaissance Festival (not to be missed--it's a terrific festival and a great location). The only reason I rated the GWL an average was because the check-in was super speedy and the pizza they serve here is pretty good. We've been to the Great Wolf Lodge a few times in the past when our children were younger. Our family has grown, and our older kids are now teens and I think they are past going to the Great Wolf Lodge. Our younger children seemed to enjoy it though. The GWL used to be so crowded, just full of people. It just wasn't the same this time. We arrived on a Friday afternoon expecting it to be busy, but it really wasn't. The room we had was way overpriced for the space one gets. My husband and I agreed that it was very dated. The carpet had some red stains on it that hadn't been cleaned. The foot or something similar was missing off of the refrigerator and so it wobbled upon opening. We're not sure the fireplace was working--maybe not cold enough yet. We have a larger family, and there were not nearly enough towels in the room. The service was good in the snack shop by the lobby and in the water park and in the spa, and the persons working there seemed genuinely friendly. The desserts in the snack shop looked fantastic by the way!! They do have a nice spa area down by the water park and we picked up some items. It did take us quite some time to get a few blankets in our room for the pullout sofa (it was later in the evening and everyone was ready for bed). Our children didn't seem to sleep that well. There was a loud thud in the middle of the night in the room above us (possibly someone fell out of bed??)--the soundproofing from the room above us was not that great. It's sad to say, but I don't think we will be staying here again. It's got such a great location, next to the Kansas City Speedway, Cabela's, and Nebraska Furniture Mart, but it's just so expensive for what you get.

Overland Park, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel 3-4 times a year since it opened. We have endured cardboard-like mattresses, bed bug infestations and cold breakfasts. But the stay last weekend beat them all. Not something of which they should be proud. I have attached pictures of our bathroom floor and shower curtain. The complete lack of cleaning has outdone itself. I'm not sure that you could actually try to make it this dirty unless you are completely ignoring your senses. These are? Curtain meant to be washed not left to mold like they have.

And if you want to talk about breakfast I waited in line for 45 minutes to get an omelette. At that point my entire family was finished eating and already at the water park by the time I got it. And then our breakfast was almost $60. Definitely not worth missing experience I'm sitting with my family and dining alone on top of it.

At one point the rug in the elevator lifted up and underneath it was almost white tile and around the edges was black with grime. There are people in the elevator with no shoes on from the waterpark and that just seems unsanitary.

Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel, and our last. I did share my comments at check-out and the so-called 'Director of Guest Services' scribbled them on a scrap of paper!
Room - was not properly cleaned, needed vacuuming in bathroom & bedroom, lots of debris under desk area near fridge, mould in bathroom grout & ripped wallpaper, sofa bed sheets appeared dirty.
Waterpark - needs cleaning & some proper maintenance. Adult hot tub is filthy and I caught my leg on a broken tile on the 'seat' edge, lazy river filthy too. These were the only areas I used - who knows what state the other areas are in!The metal slide supports are rusting. Air-conditioning vents are covered in dust.
General money-grabbing - the arcade now operates on a card system - $10 gets you either 36 'paw points' and a card, or 40 paw points if you have a card. Cheeky devils charge you for the card then ask you to recycle it so they can use it again!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!