“fun, but outdated and way overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   10401 Cabela Drive, Kansas City, KS 66111   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“fun, but outdated and way overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I took my family to this hotel for a two night stay. Each night was $220.00!!! Yes that included the waterpark, but nothing more. They had a wizard type of seek and find hunt thing my son really wanted to do, but they wanted almost $40 to walk around waving a wand....nutz!! The waterpark is smaller than I expected and needs alot of updating. Their are cracks everywhere. However they have GREAT LIFEGUARDS, and fun slides. I did feel we were closely watched and safe in the pool areas. The room was nasty. Carpet was stained, bathroom was small, couch was nasty, and beds were uncomfortable. The tv was in a horrible spot and the wall seperation kept the cold air from the air conditioner from reaching our bed. The room and visit is definately NOT worth over $200. Would have been a great visit for somewhere around a hundred though.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel and just buy one day tickets to the local waterpark...save your money.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Leoti, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My kids very much enjoyed this place! I would consider it a "splurge" and not our "typical" place to stay. The water park is great, the wizard game is fun and we enjoyed a beautiful night of minature golf. I wasn't that crazy about the food, but there are lots of other choices close to the Lodge. All staff members were great and I felt very safe for my kids and myself. The only thing included in the price is the waterpark, so be prepared to pay for anything else you do. Another plus was that they served Starbucks coffees in their bakery :-)

Oskaloosa, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We read lots of reviews on GWL before booking. The reviews were not very positive. However a friend of mine went and their family enjoyed it. We decided to take a risk and try it. We went 8/11-8/13. We brought our 5 and 8 year old children. I have to say the water park and life guards got 5 stars. It was pretty busy but we were able to enjoy all of it with little wait in lines for the slides. the water temp was great. Several life guards were on staff that were friendly and helpful.
The PAW PASS for 2, was pricey but turned out a huge hit with both kids, and worth it. The Magi Quest game was a lot of fun, even with the halls crowed with other players and guests.The staff in the Magi Quest shop was very friendly, patient and helpful.
The biggest disappointment was the check in process!!! We had read about this online, so when we were emailed from GWL to check in online before going we were thrilled. We did the online confirmation and check in process. GWL even asked what time we wanted to check in.We replied that we would like to check in about 2pm. This said we knew check wasn't until 3pm. I assumed this would decrease any long wait at check in. This was WRONG. We arrived at GWL at 3pm.We still waited 45 minutes in line to check in. The front desk appeared overwhelmed, and at times did not look up and ask the next person in line to step over to be assisted. When we finally were able to get assistance we were told our room wasn't ready. That it would be ready in 30 minutes. That they would call our cell phone to let us know it was ready. Forty minutes later, NO call from the front desk. I went to the front desk, and the lady assisting looked on the computer and seemed confused and flustered. She asked us if we still needed a handicap accessible room. I told her we NEVER needed a handicap accesible room. She conferred with another staff member. She then asked if we still wanted a balcony room. I told her that was what we ordered with 2 Queen beds, but the balcony part was not important. She then gave us a room . When we went into the room, it was NOT what we ordered. We ordered a room with 2 queen beds. This had one; and a roll away. My husband was flustered. He returned to the front desk. After several minutes we finally got a room with 2 queen beds. It was clean and with a new TV, and quiet. The rest of the hotel staff was kind and friendly. Will return to GWL? Yes we will. The check in process has got to be over hauled, and be more efficient. We about left when this was our first impression.

Room Tip: we had a quiet, clean room, far away on the end of a hall. Away from the Magi quest game, pool, and...
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I spent a. Ight there with our two boys and two friends. They were 6 and 9. We had a great time at the water park. I like going in the summer as we can go outside. We love the outdoor pool and my husband and I like sitting out there as not as humid and loud! This the second time we have been there. This time we got a kids cabin room. It is not worth the extra money. The beds were really hard in there. It had no doors and we could not get the tv to work so the kids really did not spend to much time in there. The rooms are big. Our room was clean. Little outdated but if you are coming here for a great room and a good nights sleep this is not the place for you. It was loud above us as we were on the 3rd floor but by 10 pm it was quiet. They have a microwave and refrigerator in the room. So we saved money by bringing all of our drinks and snacks. Brought microwave popcorn for snack at night. We did not eat at the hotel. They is a inoperable or McDonald's close in legends that is cheaper. All in all had a great trip and the water park was awesome for my age of kids.

St. Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I don't even know where to begin. My wife and I travel with our children quite a bit, and we always read online reviews with a grain of salt since we traditionally are pleasantly surprised even by poorly reviewed establishments. This was one case where we should have really taken stock of the negative reviews. My pregnant wife and two young girls (6 & 2) made the road trip to the GWL for 2 nights on the recommendation of friends. Our initial impression checking in at 4pm was that the hotel had not aged well at all and is in dire need of a facelift. The hallway carpeting is loose and a trip hazard. Our room was at first glance quite dimly lit yet neat although the decor was that of a motel $200/night cheaper than what we were paying for a family suite. Really we were obviously there for the waterpark so the 1980s Zenith TV and lumpy beds didn't bother us too much. We headed to the waterpark immediately after dropping our luggage, and the kids had a good time there for a few hours. As others have noted, the lifeguards are plentiful. The one lifeguard we attempted to engage in conversation obviously did not speak English, however.
When we returned to the room, my wife and kids got into the tub to take a shower, and there was a piece of "dirt" the size of a quarter on the tub surface. My wife thought it was a piece of dirt from the shower curtain and didn't pay it much mind. The tub would not drain at all so the water collected and the kids sat down to bathe with this floating "dirt." Afterwards we ate off premises since we were warned in advance not to eat anywhere at the GWL. When we turned in for the night, my 6-year-old slept in the sofa-sleeper which had linens that seemed dirty. I brushed off crumbs as well as some hair. The following morning the tub still had not drained so my pregnant wife had to bend over to manually drain the tub by lifting the broken stopper. It was at this point that she came out of the bathroom white as a sheet. The brown "dirt" was in fact fecal matter...a discovery she made when she fished it out with a tissue and it smeared the tub. I am a physician, and I have seen my share of feces. I agreed with her that this was fecal matter in the tub and NOT our own! Quite disgusted by all of this, I went to speak to the manage on duty discreetly in the lobby. I spoke to a nice gentleman (Craig or Curtis? started with a "C") who shared my horror, and he agreed to take half of one night's stay. He offered only this and a promise to clean the tub/room immediately. After much discussion with my horrified wife (who is the furthest thing from a germaphobe or prude), we decided that we could not not stay any longer at an establishment where cleanliness is not at all a priority and we checked out promptly. Worst. Hotel. Experience. Ever.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

"Suite" was dirty, small, loud, EXPENSIVE, waterpark was ok, but kids were bored in a couple hours. The water park was the only thing included. Everything there costs extra. Putt putt golf was a joke. Our room had a dirty shower and dirty linens. When we complained at check out staff apologized. Don't think an apology is enough for us to come back. The only good thing was the location. Lots of shopping near by.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!