“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
Oklahoma City
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Newer hotel, clean. Rooms are decent sized. Pool is small and at its deepest is 2ft 9in , which was just fine for the children. Hotel is about 1.5 miles from the Uptown Theater, took us 5 minutes to get there. Breakfast offered your usual items. Staff was polite and accommodating. I would stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear jmcfarland76,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We hope to see you again next time you are in KC!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Comfy bed, good breakfast with a shining star of a breakfast lady, fridge that worked. Lobby is on the second floor of this building, with entrance in the rear of the building. Only glitch was that front desk knew I anticipated a 3 pm phone call and was anxious to get in my room before then. They managed that nicely, thank you, with a few minutes to spare. But phone call didn't come. And didn't come. Finally got it after 6 pm. Front desk said they were too busy to answer phone earlier. Manager next day very apologetic, certainly, but what if it had been an emergency for these folks who have people admitted to the Med Center? At least excellent wi-fi, so maybe they have a cell phone that works if the hospital calls.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear lemons1,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and we use this to continue to improve the high quality of our product and service. We hope to see you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had a family emergency that brought us to KU Medical Center. The staff were all very helpful and seemed to enjoy thier job. One clerk in particular was very helpful for us. Her name is Maggie. She went above and beyond to make sure our whole family was taken care of as there were 3 groups of us staying. They also give a special discount if you are there with the med center. Thanks for making our trip as comfortable as possible.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I booked a room online for 5 nights through Holiday Inn and received a rate quote for average nightly cost and a Confirmation number. When I arrived, the hotel applied a different higher rate, despite my showing the clerk the printout from Holiday Inn showing the confirmed reservation information.

On checkout, the attending clerk [different person] was polite but said she was unable to address the problem. An email was left in the event that higher ups reconsidered and wanted to correct the problem, but no follow up has been received. On a humorous note, she asked whether I would be making further bookings with the hotel. In turn, I politely explained that, in light of the bait and switch tactics of their booking operation and unwillingness to correct the error when brought to their attention, I would not be making future bookings. In light of other lodging options in KC, I would recommend to friends, family and anyone using Trip Advisor to avoid Holiday Inn Express because of their deceptive and dishonest practices. It is a shame because the hotel service was otherwise fine and there appeared no need to cheat and abuse customers.

Room Tip: Requested room on top floor for quiet, but apparently mechanical equipment on roof defeated that goa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Paul L,

We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at our hotel. Any email sent to the hotel management would have gone straight to me and I do not recall seeing one regarding this matter. We understand that we can not erase what has already taken place but we would like the opportunity to make it right. Please contact the hotel and ask directly for the General Manager. Thank You
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had never been to Kansas City before and chose this HIE for its location. And for that we were pleased. We had easy access to downtown as well as Independence and Oregon Trail sites to the east. Also, there are a lot of interesting restaurants within walking distance (in good weather) on 39th street on the other side of the medical center.

The desk staff was great -- very friendly and helpful.

Why a "3"? Well, the place is noisy. I could hear lots of hall noise and some next room noise. Earplugs were a must for any hope of sleeping. Also, the shower was really poorly designed. I usually don't really notice or pay attention to such things but this shower was hard to miss. It was a walk-in (no tub) and was designed such that the shower head was about 8 feet tall and aimed at a corner. The high water source meant the water hitting my 5'4" head was sort of drizzly. And the aim meant I was stuck in a corner trying not to bump my elbows on the walls. If I had only been staying one night it wouldn't have been a big deal but 4 nights made it really annoying and memorable.

The website says they have an underground parking garage but I never saw it. Instead, guests were directed to park in an exposed lot that had a security guard at night. We felt safe and didn't have any issues.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel. We hope to see you next time you are back in Kansas City!
KANSAS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed at this location while visiting University of Kansas Med Center. The desk staff was one of the best we have encountered. The room was on the top floor and overlooked the parking lot behind the property. The bed was comfy and the room was quite large. The location was within walking distance of the Med center and was easily accessed off of I-35 about 1.5 miles. There was a burger joint and taco shop right out front. Would definitely recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Marionville, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Myself and a few friends stayed the night this past Saturday. From the moment we walked up to the front desk to check in we were blown away at how helpful the desk clerk was. We were going to see a concert and was wondering if we should park near the venue and take a cab or what we should do. She told us how much parking was and suggested the cab would be cheaper and easier. Then she tracked down a cab company that arrived in less than 5 minutes (unheard of), and also found out all the Ins and Outs of the venue we were going to. In my 10 years of traveling for business and when I say traveling I spent maybe 20% of the year at home and the rest in hotels, I have never had someone go above and beyond like this. The rooms were also nice and I was staying using reward points and oddly enough I received my platinum recognition and the option of water or points which I have never received when staying on points. Night and day difference on how I have been treating in other hotels. If you are staying in KC and want to be close to power and light or the Med Center choose this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center? Share your experiences!