“Medical emergency” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
“Medical emergency”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had a family emergency that brought us to KU Medical Center. The staff were all very helpful and seemed to enjoy thier job. One clerk in particular was very helpful for us. Her name is Maggie. She went above and beyond to make sure our whole family was taken care of as there were 3 groups of us staying. They also give a special discount if you are there with the med center. Thanks for making our trip as comfortable as possible.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I booked a room online for 5 nights through Holiday Inn and received a rate quote for average nightly cost and a Confirmation number. When I arrived, the hotel applied a different higher rate, despite my showing the clerk the printout from Holiday Inn showing the confirmed reservation information.

On checkout, the attending clerk [different person] was polite but said she was unable to address the problem. An email was left in the event that higher ups reconsidered and wanted to correct the problem, but no follow up has been received. On a humorous note, she asked whether I would be making further bookings with the hotel. In turn, I politely explained that, in light of the bait and switch tactics of their booking operation and unwillingness to correct the error when brought to their attention, I would not be making future bookings. In light of other lodging options in KC, I would recommend to friends, family and anyone using Trip Advisor to avoid Holiday Inn Express because of their deceptive and dishonest practices. It is a shame because the hotel service was otherwise fine and there appeared no need to cheat and abuse customers.

Room Tip: Requested room on top floor for quiet, but apparently mechanical equipment on roof defeated that goa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Paul L,

We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at our hotel. Any email sent to the hotel management would have gone straight to me and I do not recall seeing one regarding this matter. We understand that we can not erase what has already taken place but we would like the opportunity to make it right. Please contact the hotel and ask directly for the General Manager. Thank You
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had never been to Kansas City before and chose this HIE for its location. And for that we were pleased. We had easy access to downtown as well as Independence and Oregon Trail sites to the east. Also, there are a lot of interesting restaurants within walking distance (in good weather) on 39th street on the other side of the medical center.

The desk staff was great -- very friendly and helpful.

Why a "3"? Well, the place is noisy. I could hear lots of hall noise and some next room noise. Earplugs were a must for any hope of sleeping. Also, the shower was really poorly designed. I usually don't really notice or pay attention to such things but this shower was hard to miss. It was a walk-in (no tub) and was designed such that the shower head was about 8 feet tall and aimed at a corner. The high water source meant the water hitting my 5'4" head was sort of drizzly. And the aim meant I was stuck in a corner trying not to bump my elbows on the walls. If I had only been staying one night it wouldn't have been a big deal but 4 nights made it really annoying and memorable.

The website says they have an underground parking garage but I never saw it. Instead, guests were directed to park in an exposed lot that had a security guard at night. We felt safe and didn't have any issues.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel. We hope to see you next time you are back in Kansas City!
KANSAS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed at this location while visiting University of Kansas Med Center. The desk staff was one of the best we have encountered. The room was on the top floor and overlooked the parking lot behind the property. The bed was comfy and the room was quite large. The location was within walking distance of the Med center and was easily accessed off of I-35 about 1.5 miles. There was a burger joint and taco shop right out front. Would definitely recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Marionville, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Myself and a few friends stayed the night this past Saturday. From the moment we walked up to the front desk to check in we were blown away at how helpful the desk clerk was. We were going to see a concert and was wondering if we should park near the venue and take a cab or what we should do. She told us how much parking was and suggested the cab would be cheaper and easier. Then she tracked down a cab company that arrived in less than 5 minutes (unheard of), and also found out all the Ins and Outs of the venue we were going to. In my 10 years of traveling for business and when I say traveling I spent maybe 20% of the year at home and the rest in hotels, I have never had someone go above and beyond like this. The rooms were also nice and I was staying using reward points and oddly enough I received my platinum recognition and the option of water or points which I have never received when staying on points. Night and day difference on how I have been treating in other hotels. If you are staying in KC and want to be close to power and light or the Med Center choose this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

This hotel is pretty much new. The staff were very nice upon arrival and during our stay. The rooms were comfortable as well as the beds. Breakfast was the typical holiday inn breakfast with lots of options hot and cold. There were many food choices in the neighborhood that you can walk to as well as 5 guys and 7-11 located right downstairs. Its about a 15-20 mins drive to downtown KC (MO). Parking was free with lots of spaces. I throughly enjoyed staying at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Valley Center, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We took the father-in-law for surgery and my wife could walk back and forth while I stayed with our two little kids. The pool is just right for small kiddos and we seemed to have it all to ourselves. Good breakfast and Fast food like Five Guys and Taco Bell and 7-11 was also kid friendly. As the hotel name implies, it's a great place if you're visiting the med center, otherwise there isn't much else too near.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center? Share your experiences!