“New Hotel with Nice Staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
Brooklyn, New York
“New Hotel with Nice Staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

This hotel is pretty much new. The staff were very nice upon arrival and during our stay. The rooms were comfortable as well as the beds. Breakfast was the typical holiday inn breakfast with lots of options hot and cold. There were many food choices in the neighborhood that you can walk to as well as 5 guys and 7-11 located right downstairs. Its about a 15-20 mins drive to downtown KC (MO). Parking was free with lots of spaces. I throughly enjoyed staying at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Valley Center, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We took the father-in-law for surgery and my wife could walk back and forth while I stayed with our two little kids. The pool is just right for small kiddos and we seemed to have it all to ourselves. Good breakfast and Fast food like Five Guys and Taco Bell and 7-11 was also kid friendly. As the hotel name implies, it's a great place if you're visiting the med center, otherwise there isn't much else too near.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife had to be at the KU Medical Center at 6:00 am to check in for surgery, so we chose this hotel due to its proximity to KU Med Center, our experiences with Holiday Inn, and the reviews on TripAdvisor.

For the most part, we would agree with the good reviews. John, at the front desk when we checked in, was friendly and professional. The room was clean – except for some issues in the bathroom. There was a brown washcloth on the hair dryer. Since the hotel has white linens, I’m assuming the previous guest left it there. Also, in front of the bathtub was a stain on the floor – something that had a dark appearance, similar to coffee color. Since the floor is on the dark side, I could understand how it could have been missed.

As we left for dinner, I stopped and told John about the problems. He immediately apologized and offered to move us to another room. We assured him it wasn’t that big a deal and just asked that someone take care of the issues. John said he would send housekeeping up to clean the bathroom.

When we returned, the washcloth was still there, and although there was some evidence that the floor had been mopped, the stain remained on the floor.

On the way out to the car to retrieve something we forgotten, I stopped by the front desk again and told John of the situation. (Ironically, also on the elevator were two young ladies holding the comforters from their beds with some kind of yellow stain on them. Not sure what it was, but they were repulsed by it. John told care of their situation and greeted me.) John said that housekeeping went up there and couldn’t see the problem, but he would send her back up. I told him my wife was there and could point out the issue.

When I returned from the car, my wife was quite upset. She perceived that the woman who came up the room was rude, said she wasn’t part of housekeeping but that she had mopped the floor earlier. My wife pointed out the used washcloth on the hair dryer. The woman took it and left before my wife could point out the stain on the floor.

My wife then proceeded to use a towel and cleaned the floor herself.

The next morning, when my wife got out a folded towel from the shelf under the vanity, she found a used, empty shower packet left from a previous occupant.

The lady at the front desk that morning apologized for the empty shower packet incident and offered a bottle or water or ice cream. I declined because we needed neither.

Summary: With the exception of the woman who came to our room, the staff were friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was OK – nothing special as it was the standard hotel fare, but the biscuits and gravy were hot. The pancake maker was out of order, but that was not an issue for me as I wasn’t planning on having pancakes. The beds were comfortable and (except for the bathroom) the room appeared clean.

I would stay there again, as I know that the entire operation cannot be judged by the perceived behavior of one person.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I am a patient at KU MEDICAL CENTER here in Kansas City Missouri, we have stayed here repeatedly in the past for visits to my Doctors due to the fact that it's very close to the hospital. I made reservations for tonight in the same fashion as I have every previous stay. I use a credit card# to hold the room, we pay in cash upon arrival and always head directly to the room to rest for the long day ahead. But not tonight. ..I was informed that I would have to pay $300.00 cash out of pocket for a "deposit" that is not mentioned any where in their printed or online material. ..I looked!! Also nowhere to be found posted at the front desk! The man at the check in counter was of zero help to us. We have to drive 3 hours to get here for my visits. He also would not make any effort to waive the fee for the night or help us out in any way, including having a "security guard" stand at the counter to "observe" the situation. So after the drive and an extremely frustrating experience we went in search of another hotel at 9:30 at night!! We will set foot back in that facility and suggest that any one thinking about staying. ..research and consider your options!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear heavyc75825,

I want to start off by sincerely apologizing for your recent experience. This is the first I have heard of this incident and would like the opportunity to make it right. I encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel so I can find out more details and earn your business back.

Mike Booth
913-236-8700
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kansas City KU Medical Center is a very clean and modern hotel. During our stay, the staff was very friendly and willing to give suggestions of places to go and things to see in the city.

The breakfast was very good and consisted of cinnamon buns, bagels, sausage, eggs, cereal, pancakes, etc. There was plenty of parking available in their lot. The hotel was within a 10-15 minute drive of basically everything in the Kansas City area.

Housekeeping didn't clean our room the first day, which was disappointing, but after pointing this out to the front desk, someone came to take care of it that night. Apparently if you have a "Do Not Disturb" sign up before 8:30 a.m., housekeeping takes this to mean you shouldn't clean all day. They need to re-train their housekeeping to re-check these rooms in the afternoon as some people do sleep in past 8:30 a.m., especially on weekends.

We also found that if you get a corner room above the gym area, you may feel the vibrations from people running on the treadmills and elliptical machines. The shower in the room is also very tight and may be problematic for people of larger sizes.

Overall, we do recommend this hotel to visitors of Kansas City, as the pricing is much better than those downtown. However, the hotel has a few areas to work on in housekeeping scheduling as noted above.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Micanopy, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year, once in August for a Bachelorette party and again in September for the wedding. Both times, I had a good experience! For the Bachelorette Party, we were in walking distance of The Jazz, where we ate dinner, and an amazing dive bar, DB Coopers!! Check that place out!!! It was phenomenal and the owner (DB Cooper's wife :) ) took great care of us girls. Back to the hotel..... The rooms are inviting, well appointed, and quiet! Breakfast was good, front desk staff was courteous. The only downside was that with the construction there was not enough parking. The second stay, we actually got a call at 2 in the morning that Taco Bell was threatening to tow our car, but there was nowhere else to park! The night auditor was incredibly apologetic about the ordeal, which wasn't his fault of course, so I appreciated that. But, it would have been nice if arrangements had been made with Taco Bell to allow guests to use their lot if Holiday Inn's was full. Who knows, maybe you all asked and they are unwilling to help! But, that is the only negative!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Manhattan, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express by Ku Medical Center while my daughter was in the hospital for a procedure. This is one of the nicest hotels that I have ever stayed at. The entire staff was very friendly and accomodating. They even gave me a good deal for visiting the hospital. I will be back in a few weeks and hope I have the same experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center? Share your experiences!