“Better than the usual Holiday Inn Express because.....” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Kansas City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hampton, Georgia
“Better than the usual Holiday Inn Express because.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were very pleased with our overnight stay at this hotel. The location is great in that there are a number of fast-food restaurants almost adjacent to the hotel but, even better, it is only a 2 or 3 minute drive from a cool in-town restaurant area. There are about a dozen restaurants in that area that are a great break from chain restaurants.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff was nice and the price was much lower than I would expect to pay for a hotel in a larger city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kanopolis, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay here due to its location. We had an early appt at KU med center. The walls are so thin, I'm pretty sure the room next to us had an oxygen machine on. We were directly across from the nursing school which is all lit up and there is no way to close the big curtain so it was like sleeping in the daylight. There is a lot of road traffic. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep.

• Stayed August 2013
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear sweetpea723,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your stay. We take all comments seriously and use them to continue to improve our product/service. I genuinely apologize for falling short of your expectations during your stay. I hope that you give us another chance the next time you are in Kansas City and I will personally do everything I can to make sure you have the perfect room for your stay!
Springfield, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed with my husband here the night before my surgery at KUMED; my husband stayed for an additional night while I was hospitalized. The room was very clean, and very comfortable. The hotel was very quiet and peaceful. The elevator is secure; you have to have a room card to access floors with rooms. The staff were pleasant and polite. Of course it is very convenient to KUMED; just around the block. We were able to just walk to the hospital the morning of my surgery and not have to worry about moving the car and re-parking. We felt very safe; there are professionals going in and out of the hospital all day and night. Parking at KUMED is not free, so being able to park at the hotel actually saved a few dollars. We had a microwave and mini-fridge in the room, which was convenient. We visited the convenience store attached to hotel and picked up snacks and drinks.

My only complaints, and they are small:
1. we had a king size bed and 3 regular/standard size pillows. I hate when hotels do this - if I am in a king size bed I would like either king size pillows, or more than 3 standard size pillows.

2. the bathroom was great and I enjoyed the shower stall, which was tiled and in new condition. Having said that, I worry that the shower stall was a little narrow for large people. I am small, and my husband is average sized and we were fine with it. But we have some large friends and I think they would have felt a little claustrophobic. I would suggest that larger people looking to book a room, ask if there are rooms with larger shower stalls or a standard tub/shower combo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The king suite is spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was extremely kind. in fact, the entire city of Kansas City was extremely nice. Is this a Kansas City thing or did I just encounter the right people? I don't know about the surrounding neighborhood but you needed key acces for the elevator and every door open to the public. In that sense, I always felt safe. The 7-11 was convenient when we needed a snack or soda. I love the idea of a hotel starting on the 2nd floor of a building. In the pool, they have a machine that lowers handicapped people into the pool which I thought was a cool feature. Overall, a very friendly family hotel at I would OT hesitate to stay out again. Be warned there is construction next door. we didn't encounter any noise but it didn't give you very good sight lines.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Topeka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had a two night stay for my husbands surgery at KU Med. Hotel was very convenient although a little pricey. It is the only hotel within walking distance and relatively few rooms. The hotel was exceptionally clean and staff at the reception desk and the breakfast bar were attentive and very helpful. The room was large and had everything we needed. The breakfast was quite good and was different on the two mornings which was a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Springfield, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very nice and seems to be a brand new hotel. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Very spacious and modern shower. The breakfast was good as well, nothing too out of the ordinary, but still good. For the price this hotel can't be beat. I can't say enough good things about it. There is lots to do nearby, it isn't very far from Westport Kansas City and the Country Club Plaza. There's a Five Guys Restaurant and a 7-11 on the lower level of the builiding. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. For the price it is very good. Hope to stay there again and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jennifer A,

We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is very important to us that every guest has a great experience at our hotel and all feedback is appreciated so that we may continue to improve service/product. I hope this finds you well and we look forward to seeing you next time you are back in Kansas City!
Billings, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Because my brother was ( and still is ) a patient at KU Medical Center, I have stayed here on two separate occasions over the last couple of months. I cannot say enough great things about this hotel! Because we flew in from Montana, we didn't have a car....no problem...the hospital is right across the street. Everything is so clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast is pretty standard fare, but it was great to not have to hassel finding someplace else to eat every morning. ( especially not the hospital cafeteria !) There are also quite a few restaurants within walking distance for lunch/dinner.

Room Tip: Room 213 has a walk in shower, which was very important to my sister who has had a broken hip