“Very poor” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Junction City
Wichita
“Very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

My mother and I stopped there after a wedding. Our room was freezing so we asked for more blanklets. When the clerk delivered them, we asked how to shut out the light from outside since there were sheers and side draperies. She told us we could use a safety pin or clothes pin which she didn't provide and we didn't have. I had tried turning on the heater, but it was only putting out cold air. I also asked the clerk and she said it would come on later, in about 5 minutes or so. Of course, it was cold air so I turned it off. We finally got warmed up. Then the next morning, the floor in the bathroom was so cold and there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. The breakfast was good, but that was about the only thing. It was overpriced, especially for the problems . I complained to the manager and he was supposed to take off $30 on my credit card, but he hasn't yet.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — price and service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
hiejctks, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Junction City KS, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
We apologize for the experience that this guest had at our hotel. We also greatly apologize that the staff that was here at that period of time, was not very helpful and did not go above and beyond to ensure that the guest's were satisfied during their stay. Our current staff are periodically re-trained in order to assure that all of our policies are being enforced. In order to ensure that the room is comfortable in all seasons, our staff conducts many different room checks to ensure that the temperature is always adjusted to a suitable setting.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

I'm surprised this hotel isn't ranked higher on Trip Advisor. I was kind of worried when I arrived, especially since this is a military town and I figured the rooms probably took a lot of abuse. I was pleasantly surprised. Although it's obviously not brand new, this place met all of my HI Express expectations. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the place was pretty quiet, even though the construction was still going on nearby. Construction should be done soon and it will be nice to have the elevator and a larger breakfast area as a result. I'd stay here again.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — No elevator--yet
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hiejctks, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Junction City KS, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
We appreciate this guest's review, and also thank them for their patience and understanding. It is also difficult to complete renovations when there are guests staying at the hotel. We are pleased to announce that all renovations have been completed. The lobby area has expanded and is great for entertaining guests. The breakfast area has greatly expanded and plenty of seating is available. Our breakfast has been updated and the menu has grown greatly. The is now an elevator for your convinience. There are still small projects being done in each room, but are on a smaller scale and do not interfere with any guest's stay.
phil5897
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

This Hotel would've been ok had the construction not been so loud. On some days it started a 6:30 AM. Our rooms were Right next to the Remodel. Hotel couldnt move us to other rooms so my associates and I checked out on 3rd day. Management tried to appease us on last day as we were leaving.. Too late! Our rooms should've been blocked and never used. Verry dissapointed by this stay. Web site doesnt metion contruction.
Be warned.

• Liked — Staff at front desk were friendly
  • Disliked — Construction/ Remodel/Noise AUG 08
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hiejctks, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Junction City KS, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
We apologize for this guest's stay. One of the things we have worked on in the past couple of years is getting information to guests, especially before booking. Our hotel has gone through a relaunch/refresh process and we have updated many of our systems so that guests may interact with us directly and also be informed of any construction dates in the area or renovations to the property.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

I just stayed here on a drive across the country; hotel was conveniently located just off I-70 in the otherwise barren Junction City, Kansas.

I was very disappointed to discover that even with my AAA discount, the price of a Saturday-night stay in a basic room would cost me over $100. Massive king-sized bed be darned, it still wasn't worth it. I was even further disappointed to find that the visible crack between my room door and the hallway was nearly big enough to fit a pencil through. Needless to say, this let in quite a bit of light and noise from the outside, as well as made me question just how safe the room itself was.

That said, the staff was pleasant and helpful. The breakfast "buffet" was fairly lackluster, but typical of Holiday Inn fare - some fresh fruit, burning coffee and stale bagels. An interesting addition was the biscuits and gravy - a Kansas speciality? Then again, the hotel is also right next door to a Cracker Barrel if that's your sort of thing...

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We apologize that this guest did not enjoy their stay. Sometimes our rates may seem higher and this can be do to special events in the area or group blockings and availability. We have undergone many reservations to ensure that our guests are happy, safe, and secure during their stays.
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

My stay at Holiday Inn Express wasn't the greatest, but passable. During my stay, there was heavy renovation taking place, which made the inside appearance look unpleasant. The room I stayed in was mediocre and the internet did not work properly. This turned out to be a nuisance because I was there on official business. The bathroom was not very clean. The hotel offered breakfast (i.e., danishes, donuts, etc.), but not hot items.

During my stay there, it snowed and the snow was not removed from the front of the hotel, which caused the snow to turn into ice. I found that to be a bit dangerous.

It wasn't a bad place to stay, but it wasn't the best place, either. The staff were very nice and the hotel is conveniently located next to the Interstate, restaurants (Cracker Barrel is directly adjacent to the hotel), and the shopping center (Walmart).

• Liked — The Walmart and Cracker Barrel were very close to the hotel. Also, the Interstate was easily accessed from the hotel.
  • Disliked — The rooms and appearance of the hotel was disappointing. As a business traveler, the hotel turned out to be an inconvenience and not well suited for my business needs.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We apologize that this guest did not fully enjoy their stay. We have taken many steps to improve guest satisfaction. Also we have hired additional help in the winter time to ensure that the parking lot and sidewalks are cleared and salted for our guest's safety. We have also updated our breakfast to include a variety of hot items that are still free to all guests of the hotel.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Junction City KS? Share your experiences!