“Nice But Nothing Special” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Hutchinson
Denver, CO
“Nice But Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed here recently for four nights. After reading the reviews I was expecting the room to be a lot nicer. The room was very average and the tub needs to be replaced (chips all around the drain). The hotel was quiet and the room did have a refrigerator and microwave. I like to workout and the exercise room was a joke. The treadmill belt was very slippery and worn out (it felt like the treadmill should've been replaced years ago). I ended up buying day passes and going to the local YMCA. They didn't honor my discount due to a tournament in town. If the rate is comparable to the Comfort Inn I would suggest you stay at the Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn or the new Holiday Inn Express in Hutchinson before the Comfort Inn. Nothing special about this place

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Roeland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A friend and I shared a room with 2 double beds. Let me start by saying I'm somewhat picky about hotel rooms, and this one did not disappoint! It was very attractive and clean, with a well-appointed bathroom, and very comfy beds with good linens and lots of pillows. We heard a train a couple of times, but it didn't interfere with sleeping. I especially appreciated the mini fridge (and microwave and coffeemaker) in the room, along with free wi-fi. The only problem was that the walk-around area was pretty small because the furniture took up most of the space, but we still managed to navigate around each other and all our "stuff." The photos on booking websites were all very accurate as to the appearance of the hotel, rooms, etc.

The free breakfast was great, as it offered just about anything you would want, including eggs, breakfast meats, biscuits & gravy, waffles, cold cereal, oatmeal, bagels and pastries, cut fresh fruit, and all the usual hot and cold beverages, etc. The pool area could use a little sprucing up, but it was good enough for a little time in the hot tub and a short swim. There is a Target next door, which came in handy, and made it easy to find the hotel. I thought the furniture in the lobby was a bit weird/mismatched, but no big deal...our room looked great!

We were in Hutchinson with a group to tour the Strataca Salt Mines and the Kansas Cosmosphere, and I highly recommend both tours for kids and adults. It's a good idea to purchase tickets in advance for the "extras" at the Cosmosphere, like Dr. Goddard's Lab (really fun, especially for kids, but I enjoyed the lab experiments too!) and the space-related movie at the digital dome theater. It was really too much to squeeze into one day, and I would definitely allocate more time for the Cosmosphere.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

I travel for a living, and spend about every weekend in a hotel. I typically stay in the cheapest hotel that won't put me at risk for something unpleasant. Hotels in smaller towns (less than 100k population) typically don't give much in the way of discounts (I suppose they know that you have to be there, and don't have many choices), so I generally don't like those says.

Well, I needed to do a show in this town, and picked on this hotel, using points, because I didn't want to pay the cash rate. Turns out that this wasn't a bad choice at all.

I have to say, if you don't mind the cost, this was an excellent stay. The rooms were comfy, the elevators were prompt, the ice machine worked just fine... and in addition to breakfast in the morning, there was hot food laid out in the evenings. Friday night was two types of soups, and Saturday was build it yourself nachos with chips, hot cheese and chili available. That's not something that you usually see.

I actually tried out their exercise room, and there were no issues with what I used there.

All in all, this was a pleasant stay, and I would recommend them if the cost isn't scary to you.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2015

An excellent hotel. This is a recently (1year or so ago) renovated Holiday Inn/Express and is still shown as Holiday Inn in our GPS. The renovation was top notch with a classy touch. I love the beds and the pillow options - firm or soft. We also travel with a dog (Basset Hound) and were pleased with how welcome we were even with a dog.

The main issue (and it was a small one) was that we couldn't pull the drapes shut at night and our room was located just under the blinding light of their big sign. We didn't call the front desk as it was late when we retired and it was not a sleep preventative for us but it could be for some. When I mentioned it at the front desk on check out the receptionist was very receptive and thought they should have closed. She will check on it.

A lesser issue was the internet with my older, slower computer. My husband had no issue whatsoever with his but I had to reenter several times before I got through my hotmail.

A really pleasant stay - top notch accommodation and excellent value for your dollar!!

Oh yes, they offer nachos with cheeze and chilli in the evening!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are darker and would likely be quieter but that wasn't an issue.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2015

Bring your own data Wifi. Lots of Internet connection issues with hotel wifi. I spoke to them twice about unreliable Internet connection. I would have to clear Internet cookies and history repeatedly only to lose connection again every 5 min. Strong signal. Seemed to have better luck using my phone vs new tablet with connections. The real issue is the host company the hotel uses for secure network. I think their name was Usnshsia. Not a signal issue. Seemed to be an issue they hear about regularly from guests. I should probably mention as I write this review from the hotels wifi, I had to re authenticate to the network 3x. Other than wifi issues hotel was great. Internet is a staple for my family as my wife and I both teach online college Internet courses. Newly remodeled hotel. Fresh paint throughout and many upgraded fixtures in room. Stayed in King suite with our pet. Only issue we had and we reported it during our stay, was the in room fridge did not work. I am certain they would have fixed the issue but we told them we did not want them to enter the room when we were gone as we did not want our dog stirred up. Still not sure why they couldn't just offer to swap fridge out from vacant room. Speaking of pets, this hotel is very understanding of travelers with small dogs. Just let them know of your little Fido when you check in otherwise they may tack on a $500 charge to your bill. Hotel is conveniently located next to Target and Freddy's sits at front of the drive to hotel. Hotel is close to everything. Stratica_salt mine is 7 min drive and Cosmosphere is 5 min drive. Mall is located just a short distance. Breakfast was best I ever had in a hotel. Lots to choose from. Evening manager reception is nice gesture. This hotel even provided it on Fri and Sat during slow season. Hotel seems to fill up and sell out each night. Saw several travelers turned away who did not make reservations.

Room Tip: Bring your own data Wifi. If you dare to use the hotel Wifi be prepared to clear Internet cache eve...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
The West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2015

We stayed for longer than expected due to delay with a moving van. Staff was pleasant and helpful, room was nice enough and was clean. Remodel was done tastefully. We would not have thought to stay at a Comfort Inn, but chose this hotel because they accommodated us with our dogs. We now will recommend it to others coming to Hutchinson.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Riverview, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights while in Hutchinson for a family gathering. My sister and her husband also stayed at same time.
Check-in was easy and the pleasant. As we checked in, we asked to get 2 rooms near to each other so they switched my room. When they did so, they also upgraded us to a larger room. The person at the counter explained the breakfast times and the evening snack.
The rooms were better than I had expected. Both rooms had king beds, microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. The smaller room had a easy chair, dresser, TV,desk chair and a desk. Ours had the same plus a couch and coffee table.
Each room had thermostaticaly controlled heat and cooling - and we had the opportunity to use both and both worked well.
The king sized beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows. There were additional pillows and blankets in the dresser. We slept very well. There was a large group staying there for a wedding and they were noisy as they clambered down the hall in a large group each morning and evening, but the noise level was generally good.
The bathroom was clean and adequate. The shower was very tall, which is a real plus for me.
The overall cleanliness of the room and common areas was very good. We did not see anything that needed repair of cleaning.
The breakfast was a good selection but he highlight was the waffle machine with your choice of regular or cinnamon batter. Each morning was slightly different but all had some type of eggs, meat, and bicuits and gravy. Several evenings they had a "manager's reception" which included things like chili dogs with all the fixings, loaded nachos, etc - and all for free.
We will certainly stay there again when we need a room in Hutchinson.
We did not try the indoor pool or hot tub but the area was quiet and clean. I used the fitness center twice and was the only one in there both times.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!