“Debbie P-Turner bros trucking” 5 of 5 stars

Astro Motel
15 E 4th Ave, Hutchinson, KS 67501   |
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Hutchinson
Houston, Texas
“Debbie P-Turner bros trucking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Isn't the Holiday Inn but it's got good service, friendly help, clean rooms. For an independant motel I would give it an A rating. Thank you to the mangement for the 10 month stay that we were there. I would recommend this motel and will be returning any time that we come to Hutchinson Ks. If you are a company with working crews for extended stays you will be happy with this motel . We had a kitchenette and everything worked and the mangement made our stay away from home very enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Portland, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked this hotel for the same reason a lot of you looking are thinking about; it's cheap and it has almost suspiciously good reviews. While it was not horrific (I did stay here four nights, didn't go running after walking in) I would not stay here again. I will try to paint a fair picture of my stay below.

I'll start off with the good; the rooms (I ended up in two rooms over my four nights) were both clean and had the basic things you expect at a hotel room (microwave, mini-fridge, beds, etc) and the staff were friendly. However, the rooms are extremely run down, with many chips in the shower tile, stains on the bathroom ceiling, etc. They are also very dated, if that matters to you. Up to this point I was still ok, I mean you get what you pay for right? Plus I'm not here to be wowed by the decor I'm here because I need a bed and a door..

Well the first issue came up the second day, the door part. I came home after my first night to find my door was ajar, fortunately all my stuff was still there but that was just good luck. At first I thought maybe I somehow forgot to lock it (which I knew wasn't true but I considered it all the same) until I tested it and found out if you jiggled the door knob from the outside just right you could disengage the lock. This is not only a safety concern when you are out but because the doors only have that one lock (no deadbolt on either room and the 'chain lock' was only in one) that's all you have. While this area of town is hardly shady it wasn't exactly the kind of place some people may be comfortable with poorly functional doors.

As for amenities.. There are few to none; there is a pool but it's outdoors so that's out in the cold months, their breakfast was the minimum you could have and still call it breakfast (a few tupperware containers of cereal, milk and coffee), and what came as a surprise is that there are no tissues. Yes, that box of tissues that is imbedded in that metal thing in the wall of every bathroom of every hotel you've ever stayed at is not here.. Or to be more accurate the metal thing in the wall is, but I was told they do not stock tissues (and you should get your own or use toilet paper). They also keep the heat off in the rooms when there is nobody in them (or at least did in both I stayed in, and I had a reservation, didn't just pop in) which is perhaps ecological but also means when you first arrive in the winter (as I did) the room is as cold if not colder than outside and you have to wait until the heater can take care of things (the heater itself, I should note, is very noisy at nights but does get the rooms warm)

Also, as a few people have mentioned, the parking lot is very, very tight. If you show up when it's crowded it will be extremely difficult to find a spot.

I could go into more nitpicking but those are the notable things. Now the question comes, should one be surprised when they pick the cheapest joint in town that it isn't the Ritz.. I think 'no', but at the same time you are getting so much more for literally a few more dollars. Other people who stayed in town the same time I did for the event we were all at (Nursing school) described their rooms which were in some cases less than five dollars more as being much, much nicer with more amenities.

It should be noted I'm a college student, and accustomed to staying in less than ideal surroundings, but let me just outline quickly what I got for less than ten dollars more a night in Wichita before coming into town:

-A nice room that was properly heated with a nice heater that wasn't overly loud
-Proper shampoo, soap, tissues, etc that you expect to be in a hotel room
-A pool, exercise room, hot tub, etc (though to be fair I didn't use any of them but I was only there one night)
-A secure building with card key locks (this one uses old fashioned 'key' keys) with secure doors and a deadbolt
-A breakfast that included cereal, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, fruit, pastries, coffee, milk, juice, etc

These were the situations described at the other hotels in town too (in fact one has a soup and nacho bar). Yes, they cost more, but in many cases were are literally talking five, maybe ten more dollars a night and I think it's important to consider what you are getting for that small amount extra.

In short, I do understand the concept of getting what you pay for; that, combined with the fact that the rooms were clean and the staff was pleasant is what kept this from being a one star (or I guess green circle thing) review. However, unless you really need to save the small amount of difference between this hotel and the other options, I strongly recommend spending the extra few bucks, it'll be a much nicer stay, heck you'll probably make up the difference on the cost of breakfast alone.

Room Tip: Make sure to test your door lock before settling down cause there are no deadbolts and at least one...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed labor day weekend and had a blast. We didn't have reservations, just walked up and inquired about rates and they were kind enough to let us view room before deciding. Rooms are very clean and comfortable with micro and fridge. No noise problems. Only negatives to report are the lack of parking and pool was closed. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

when i checked in explained i had just had a heart attack and would need a phone to use in my room to arrange getting home to DC. They had the phone locked to only local calling. 2 trips to the office didn't get the phone unlocked. then it was explained that they got burnt by some customers huge LD bill. I showed them my calling card and protested it wasn't my problem. Than one wall of electric outlets blew when i plugged in my razor. They couldn't seem to find the breaker. When mgr found out it was me, the phone guy, she asked me to leave.By then i was glad to leave. I found a nicer cheaper motel up the street for next 2 nites with no problems

Room Tip: a void this place
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Hutchinson, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Very nice clean and comfortable hotel for the rate it is.jay and his family r very nice and patient..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hutchinson, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I stayed here 3 nights and enjoyed it very much. My room came with everything I needed and more. Ironing board, washer/dryer, Free wifi, swimming pool, best prices in town and its right across the street from McDonald's. The owner "Jay" seemed very nice and helpful and even got me a discount with my AAA card.

If I had to give a complaint I would have to say its that its a little close to the train tracks.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Ok, the Ritz this is not but you want clean, comfortable with a good location then you got it and all at a great value ($45 not incl. tax). The owner and his wife are very nice and hospitable and they run a nice family run motel. It even has a small swimming pool. There is ironing boards in the room and even free wi-fi. The bed was comfortable and McDonald's was right across the street. They serve coffee in the lobby and there is even some cereal and milk if you want to grab a quick breakfast. I would stay again but the down side (and they do not outweigh the positives!) include very small parking lot, proximitiy to the train tracks and the clientele include construction workers who tend to barbecue and party in the parking lot and are quite loud. (Not the owner's fault mind you). I slept great and was ready for the day. Rooms even included fridge and microwave. Try getting that at the Motel 6 for this price! Thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for Jay.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Astro Motel? Share your experiences!