“Owner has attitude problems” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Flamingo Motel

The Flamingo Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hugoton
The Flamingo Motel
You added The Flamingo Motel to your Saves list
601 E 11th Street, Hugoton, KS 67951   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hugoton B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Owner has attitude problems”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

With a limited selection, I wasn't expecting much and that's what I got. Was in town for a funeral and because of the cheese factory going up, only two rooms were left in all of Hugoton.

We arrived super late after driving 13.5 hours to find out our room had been left unlocked with a key by the door. Didn't bother us a whole lot, but I think it might get to others. Opened the door and thought "neat! We're staying in a theme motel." before realizing that no, the decor wasn't irony. Well, even if they haven't updated the place since the mid-70s, at least it's clean.

Slept in a nothing-too-terrible bed. Luckily I brought an extra blanket because the linens were scratchy and questionable. We could hear noise; people fighting, TVs turned up very loud, guests leaving and arriving; stuff I honestly consider part of the trashy motel experience so again, didn't bother me all that much.

The first big issue came the next day. The owner kicked out the child of the man who had passed for smoking in the room, yelling about how he had just spent $1k remodeling that room. If so, he was swindled. Now, this would normally be reasonable except that the website advertises both smoking and nonsmoking rooms, there were no no-smoking signs posted in the room, and the motel thoughtfully provided an ashtray and matches on the dresser.

This is getting long, but after several other incidents where he was rude to us, that is one motel to be skipped. Would rather just room in Liberal and make the drive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Penrose, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I've been staying at the Flamingo Hotel when I go pheasant hunting with my friends for the last three years. The rooms are clean, the rates are great , and my labs are treated like family at the hotel. Also it's close to restaurants. I'm big on customer service and Benny does an awesome job. He's done many improvements at the hotel since he bought it, a bird cleaning station, new ice machine, new beds and a large 6-7 man room. I would recomend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

There are 3 Motels in this small town and out of the 3 Flamingo Motel was the most descent Motel they had. I will have to go back and this is the Motel I will stay at. However the bed was uncomfortable, had an old back in the day blanket on the bed that was scratchy, drafty by the window, the curtain for the window was cheap and you can tell they cut it to make it 2 curtains. The owners was great and friendly. To be in the western part of Kansas and hardly any to no black people in this area they were very friendly to my fiance/co-worker that I had with me. The rate of the room was ok in my opinion this is more of a $40 a night place. It is convient to service station and a few eating places. I do recommend the Flamingo Motel over the other 2 Motels.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Our company stays at The Flamingo Motel when we are in Hugoton for business. Our decision to stay at The Flamingo is based on several factors, clean rooms, great rates, convenience,...etc, but the biggest and most important reason is the customer service. Benny always goes out of his way to make sure our stay is as enjoyable as it can possibly be. He takes care of any requests we may have including receiving freight for us.

Stacey Richards
Five Star Mechanical Inc

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Edgewood, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have been staying at the Flamingo Motel for the last 3 years during my pheasant hunting trips there. I can tell you there is no better and not a more geniune host than Benny Cabrera and his family. The motel is probably the best of all the motels in Hugoton, is very conveniently located, and very clean. If you are a hunter - the Flamingo is "dog friendly" (work terms out with Benny), there is a large capacity ice machine, a really nice bird cleaning station - and if needed, a freezer for your game.

I would highly recommend Benny at the Flamingo if you are going to stay in Hugoton. My #1 choice of motels there!! I'm already scheduled 3 times next year!!!

Room Tip: Rooms available with curbside parking or inside corridors